how long for breast to re-fill after pumping?

Old February 4th 04, 06:12 PM
Zucca4

Default how long for breast to re-fill after pumping?

is there an avg. amt of time? i pump while DS naps and sometimes he wakes up
earlier than usual starving....
Old February 4th 04, 06:31 PM
Sue

Well since the breasts don't *empty*. As baby sucks the milk is being
produced. IOW, there is always going to be milk there and more keeps coming
when baby sucks. And pretty normal for a baby to wake up hungry.

This is a Q&A from iVillage, a LC answers the question of breasts being
emptied.

Debbie Donovan, LC writes:

It is impossible to nurse until your breasts are truly empty. Milk is being
produced continuously.

Though it is commonly believed that milk is primarily made while
breastfeeding, studies have shown that milk synthesis, or production during
nursing is probably only be a very small part of the total amount of milk
transferred to your baby at a feed. Milk synthesis seems to be directly
related to the "emptiness" of the breast. The more milk that has been
removed during a feed, the quicker the breast refills. (Hartmann & Daly,
1995)

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 4th 04, 06:50 PM
Zucca4

Thanks Sue
Old February 4th 04, 07:59 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Zucca4 wrote:
i pump while DS naps and sometimes he wakes up
earlier than usual starving....

I always just let Caterpillar nurse if that happened to me. She had to
work a little harder, but didn't complain.

Phoebe

Old February 4th 04, 09:42 PM
Nikki

Zucca4 wrote:
is there an avg. amt of time? i pump while DS naps and sometimes he
wakes up earlier than usual starving....

I pumped every morning (all I could manage) and Hunter nursed right after.
I didn't seem to phase him.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)