Joint custody bill not in child's interest - says NOW's NY chapter

Old April 3rd 06, 02:26 AM posted to alt.child-support,alt.mens-rights,alt.support.divorce

Default Joint custody bill not in child's interest - says NOW's NY chapter

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"teachrmama" wrote in message

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Werebat" wrote in message

Moon Shyne wrote:

"teachrmama" wrote in message

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message
arthlink.net...

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message
news
"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message

news
"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Chris" wrote in message

"Pete" wrote in message
news7pl22d8rh10d3vscdknq8m8mdqg46s51e @4ax.com...

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:26:07 -0500, "Dusty"

wrote:

It is an erroneous implication that the caregiver and the

non-custodial

parent carry the same load and devote the same time to their

children.

This is correct. I devote about 60 hours a week in labor to

the
support of my children. My daughters mother devotes

about....um...0

in

financial support. As for actual "parenting time" that adds up

to 2
hours in the morning and maybe 5 at night. On the weekends she

gets
dumped off on her grandmother. So yes, the loads are not

equal.

The basis for this strong battle of the fathers' rights

groups is

totally

financial. It is frequently reported by school guidance

counselors

that a

common complaint of children of divorce is that they don't

see

their

fathers, and it is not unusual for children to complain about

the

inequities

of material advantages they often observe when their father

acquires

his

new

family.

The only thing that keeps me going is the fact that when my

daughter

reaches a certain age, she'll realize that her mother is a

leech.

She

mooches off the people she knows and the state in which she

lives.

This bill establishes the pretext of a continuing

relationship

between

children and non-custodial parents, and falsely legislates in

the

best

interest of the child. The reality is that it does nothing to

advance

the

welfare of the children of New York.

She is correct yet again! Any time I spend with my daughter is

on

the

pretext of it being some sort of relationship. To her, I'm

just some
guy that she gets to see every other week (or longer,

depending on

the

mental state of the leech).

Not to mention that you are a FREE babysitter, and the mother

can go

out

and

play during this time with the FREE money that is extorted from

you.

Since when did spending time with one's own children equate to

being a

babysitter? Is that really how you view your

time with your children?

Your point is valid, but some of this debate has to do with

perceptions

by

fathers. For instance, regularly scheduled visitation time is

the

father's

time. Extra visitation time, or changes to visitation schedules

initiated

by the mothers, can be viewed by fathers as extra time with the

children

or

free babysitting time.

If some fathers are viewing additional time with their children as

'free

babysitting time", I'd certainly question their

perception. Last time I checked, it was parenting one's

children -

babysitting is what you do for other people's

children.

You are right. Babysitters get paid for performing the service.

Fathers
pay to perform it.

Fathers aren't babysitting their own children. They're parenting.

Come on, Moon. You know exactly what they are saying.

Yes, I do - they view themselves as babysitters of their own

children, which baffles me - it sets up a situation
where they can continue to slam mom, and mom can never do it to dad's

satisfaction.

If Mom goes out, and hires a sitter, so as to NOT be 'using dad as a

free babysitter', then dad raises hell because
how DARE mom 'dump' the kids with someone else when there's a

perfectly good PARENT (dad) with whom the kids can
spend time.

Yet when mom gives dad first right of refusal, and wants the kids to

go with dad (which is theoretically better
than dumping them with a sitter, according to dear old dad) then dad

pitches a bitch that mom's just using him as
a free babysitter.

Dad has clearly set mom up to be the evil person, no matter HOW mom

tries to handle it.

That's what I object to.

There is a third option, and that is for Mom to ask Dad to take the

kids for a while and then give him back some of
the money he entrusted to her to use for the care of said kids.

Ah - so you join Bob in thinking that dad's have to be paid to spend

time with their own kids.

Got it.

Wait a minute: Mom gets money from Dad to pay for expenses for child

while child is with her.

And some expenses continue even when the child isn't with her - do you

think health insurance is turned on and off, only
in force when the children are with mom? How about that spot in day care?

Perhaps you are unaware, but the costs are
generally done on a monthly basis, and yes, you even have to pay when the

child isn't there.

Child support is based on how much time child is with
her.

Child support is based on the costs and expenses of the children, with the

assumption that they are living with the
parent who is receiving the child support.

If she has dad care for child while she runs off to do her thing for
the weekend, why would she NOT give dad the money intended to provide

for the child for that time? Is dad supposed to
pay twice for those days?

So dad wants to be paid for having the kids for the weekend?

No more so than mom wants to be paid for having the kids the rest of the
time.

After all, she doesn't view her CS checks as being "paid to watch her

kids", now, does she?

Probably not - it's generally used for expenses from which the children

benefit. You know, like a place to live,
food to eat, medical care, school expenses, clothing, entertainment,

sports, etc. Nor does she ask for more money to
cover times that the kids are supposed to be with an absent dad.

Oh--I see. Dad dloes not provide the child with a place to live, food

to eat, etc, while child is with him during the
time that mom is off doing her thing. Hmmmm.......

Old April 3rd 06, 02:42 AM posted to alt.child-support,alt.mens-rights,alt.support.divorce

"P. Fritz" paulfritz ATvoyager DOTnet wrote in message

"mrbrklyn" wrote in message
oups.com...
So my ex, who decided 3 years ago to stop seeing the children, should
be rewarded for this selfishness? You sure you
want to promote that idea?

Fathers don't "visit" their children. They raise them. Why do you
make your ex so uncomfortable and broke that he can't raise his own
children? Your the guilty one. Not your ex.

Damn, you have stumpy pegged and you don't even know her history.

It cracks me up. The government folks say that a father has to be
responsible for his children as a parent, yet they have the nads to label
him as a "visitor"! What's up with THAT?

Old April 3rd 06, 02:49 AM posted to alt.child-support,alt.mens-rights,alt.support.divorce

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message
link.net...

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Phil" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message

nk.net...

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message
news
"Bob Whiteside" wrote in

message

news
"Moon Shyne" wrote in

message

wrote:

[...]

You are right again. When mothers demand fathers parent
beyond
court's
visitation order and the moms are just giving the dads
additional
parenting
opportunities. And I am sure you will agree, fathers

should
never be
given
credit for this additional parenting time by reducing CS

for
their
increased
time spent with their children.

How much do you think dad's CS should be reduced because

he
had
the
kids
for 1 additional night? Sure sounds like
you're the one demanding to be paid for parenting your own
children -
but
wait, that's what you accuse the MOMs of
doing, isn't it?

1/30th of his CS obligation, or an amount equivalent to

what
mom
would
have
to pay for an overnight sitter, whichever is greater plus

any
extra
costs
like transportation.

As you may not be able to see this topic from the father's
perspective,
the
scenario we are discussing is not about 4-5 hours while mom

goes
out for
the
evening. It is typically when mom goes away for an

overnight
or
weekend.
I'm so far removed from paying babysitters I have no idea

what
the
current
going rates are. But I do recall many years ago paying $3

per
hour
for
two
children and a flat rate of at least $30 for an overnight
sitter.

If mom is to be compensated to care for the children while

in
her
custody,
fathers should get the same treatment when they perform

extra
visitation
time.

Are you saying that my ex should have been compensating me

for
all
those
missed weekends since he decided to drop out of
the fathering game? Lemme see - 26 weekends per year, times

3
years,
times 2 nights per weekend - so you're saying he
owes me $4,680 so far? (using your figure of $30 for

overnight,
of
course)

Is this intentional stupidity?

What's wrong, Bob? Don't like it when your own words and

figures
are
embraced? Or is it that it just doesn't
support what you claim it does?

Obviously, you failed to comprehend what Bob posted

Perhaps you want to go back and read each individual posting -

perhaps
you
missed the following tidbit?

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message
ink.net...

How much do you think dad's CS should be reduced because he had

the
kids
for 1 additional night? Sure sounds like
you're the one demanding to be paid for parenting your own

children -
but
wait, that's what you accuse the MOMs of
doing, isn't it?

1/30th of his CS obligation, or an amount equivalent to what mom

would
have
to pay for an overnight sitter, whichever is greater plus any

extra
costs
like transportation.

You asked a question - I gave you a straightforward answer. I

believe
it is
grossly unjust for the government to acknowledge the CS guidelines

are
developed based on the assumption the CP has the children 100% of

the
parenting time

You've claimed this 100% time share a number of times.......... got

any
cites for this?

Of course. But you forget about these cites and pretend they were

never
posted even though they do exist.

Here is a direct quote from my state's CSE web site:

"It was always assumed that the guidelines accounted for a basic

visitation
schedule with the noncustodial parent. Upon further investigation, we
discovered this was not the case. Because the scale is based on a

study
of
intact households, the scale actually presumes that one household has

the
child 100% of the time."

How about providing the URL for this quote, so that anyone who might

want
to can see context and surrounding points.

I cited the third one down on the list of FAQ's about the 2003 CS changes.
There are 6-7 questions answered about the parenting plans on this page.

Note the parenting plan law change reduced the point where a CS award was
adjusted for NCP parenting time from 35% to 20%. The net result is CP's
have become less willing to share parenting time with NCP's so they can
retain full CS payments by never exceeding the 20% threshold. That is why

advocate one-to-one reimbursement for extra parenting time that is done
outside a formal parenting plan CS order.

Perhaps the way they calculate this is because the sperm is only 20% the
size of the egg?
You know the old tired argument for "child support" is that a child has TWO
parents? Well, they need to change that to "a child has 1 and 1/5 parents".

http://www.dcs.state.or.us/oregon_ad...deline_faq.htm

Old April 3rd 06, 03:13 AM posted to alt.child-support,alt.mens-rights,alt.support.divorce

"mrbrklyn" wrote in message
oups.com...
So my ex, who decided 3 years ago to stop seeing the children,

should
be rewarded for this selfishness? You sure you
want to promote that idea?

Fathers don't "visit" their children. They raise them. Why do you
make your ex so uncomfortable and broke that he can't raise his own
children? Your the guilty one. Not your ex.

Damn, you have stumpy pegged and you don't even know her history.

It cracks me up. The government folks say that a father has to be
responsible for his children as a parent, yet they have the nads to label
him as a "visitor"! What's up with THAT?

Stop buying into the government spin. Fathers are not the visitors. The
children are the visitors. Fathers are the family outcasts who had to be
expelled from the family unit. Fathers have no visitation rights. They
have the right to be visited.

Old April 3rd 06, 04:50 AM posted to alt.child-support,alt.mens-rights,alt.support.divorce

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Werebat" wrote in message

> [...]

snip

[...]

Not in the least. He just deserves the "chilc support" that was

already
paid for those days so he can spend it on the
child as was intended.

So you want to see dad have a reduction in child support for spending

additional time with the kids.... but you don't
think mom should get an increase if she spends additional time with the

kids?

You are swimming up stream against the concept of parenting plans and

their
relationship to CS awards. The entire premise behind these plans is to

give
"dad a reduction in child support for spending additional time with the
kids."

Moms can't "get an increase if she spends additional time with the kids"
becasue the basic CS order already covers her spending 100% of the time

with
her kids (unless it has been adjusted by a parenting plan calculation).

The downside for mothers with parenting plans is if a father negotiates a
parenting plan in bad faith. If the father doesn't follow through with
devoting the time agreed to in the parenting plan, the mother still gets a
reduced amount of CS based on the formulas.

The downside for fathers with regular visitation or parenting plans is if
the mother negotiates in bad faith to keep a father's CS payments high and
then "graciously allows" the father more time for parenting without any

CS
adjustment.

That's correct. And if he attempts to get a reduction in "child support",
she will simply end his additional parenting time. Let's not forget that
this all takes place ONLY because the child support industry is run by a
bunch of spineless henpecked men. I could be wrong, but my guess is that if
you take away their big guns, there'd be an ample supply of fathers that
would be MORE than willing to knock their nut to the dirt.

Seems to me that CS paid is really meant for more than just the one-day

spent with dad sort of needs and expenses......
I dunno, maybe my medical insurance can be prorated so that I only pay

insurance for the days that the children spend
with me? What about their clothing? Can that expense be prorated so

that
I only pay for the days they wear the
clothing here?

These are just 2 examples of why I think that this idea of paying dad

for
spending time with the kids won't work.

You are in the minority on this issue. Most of the states have already
changed their CS laws to reward dads for spending time with their kids.

Problem with that is the formula was designed to keep children away from
their fathers; the less time he spends with them the MORE money the mother
gets.
I wager that if the formula was reversed, you would see an awful lot of
fathers having their children for as much time as they desire.
Moral of the story: Free cash is KING!

Old April 3rd 06, 04:00 PM posted to alt.child-support,alt.mens-rights,alt.support.divorce

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message
. net...

"mrbrklyn" wrote in message
[...]

I have to admit that even I got sucked into the government deception. Unless
the father is actually going to the mother's home for the visit, you are
correct, it is the children who are visiting the father.

Old April 3rd 06, 04:39 PM posted to alt.child-support,alt.mens-rights,alt.support.divorce

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Werebat" wrote in message

Moon Shyne wrote:

"Werebat" wrote in message

Moon Shyne wrote:

"Werebat" wrote in message

There is a third option, and that is for Mom to ask Dad to take the

kids for a while and then give him back some of
the money he entrusted to her to use for the care of said kids.

Ah - so you join Bob in thinking that dad's have to be paid to spend

time with their own kids.

To "spend time" with his kids, or to "care" for his kids? Which is he

doing when he is watching them?

Both - isn't that what most parents do?

Ah, good. Since you admit that the two are one and the same, it is fair

to say that you believe that parents should
receive no compensation for time they spend caring for their kids.

I don't believe that I promoted the idea of compensation for rearing one's

children. That's a far different topic than
the costs of raising the children, however.

And the mother should be compensated for such "costs" as opposed to the
father being compensated because?

This is an important distinction simply because of connotation. We

never hear about CP mothers being burdened by
having to "spend time" with their kids, and neither do we hear about how

NCP fathers should feel lucky that they are
allowed to "care" for their kids. The connotation is that "spending

time" with one's kids is a privilege, while
"caring" for one's kids is a responsibility. Hence you, Moon, will

always talk about CP mothers "caring" for their
kids and NCP fathers "spending time" with their kids, unless you are

somehow maneuvered into stating things otherwise.

Caring for one's children, spending time with one's children, raising

one's children - it's pretty much all the same
thing.

However, I believe that all of this came up when someone posted about how

dad is "babysitting" his own children.

Do you think the time you spend with your child(ren) is babysitting them?

You probably either won't understand this, or you'll deny it, or both,

but the truth trumps both your lack of
cognizance and your denial.

The truth is that raising one's children is generally not considered

"babysitting" them.......... except by bitter
fathers.

False.

After all, she doesn't view her CS checks as being "paid to watch her

kids", now, does she?

Probably not - it's generally used for expenses from which the

children benefit.

It is? Do you have any proof of this?

Did I offer it up as fact? Or did I say "generally" - perhaps that's a

word you don't understand?

What you said is still right up the "it's generaly used for expenses

from which the children benefit"

Yup - and generally, that's what it is. Last time I checked, it still

costs money to raise children.

Again I ask you, do you have any proof that it is generally used for

expenses from which the children benefit?

Proof? Probably not beyond my own checkbook, which is not open for your

inspection. Do you have any proof to show that
it isn't generally used for the benefit of the children?

The ONLY way to disprove that an event is not taking place is to prove that
it is. Hence, the burden of proof rests with YOU.

You know, like a place to live, food to eat, medical care, school

expenses, clothing, entertainment, sports, etc.
Nor does she ask for more money to cover times that the kids are

supposed to be with an absent dad.

Hmm.

Do you think she SHOULD get more money from a totally absent father?

I suppose it might be appropriate to allow for some modest stipend,

since the father's absense foists his alternate
weekend expenses on her.

Great! Believe it or not, Moon, I agree with you.

But how is this different from the idea that she should get less money

from a father who cares for the children a
greater percentage of the time?

How many different topics are you going to toss into that bass-a-matic?

How can you rationalize believing the one without believing the other?

- Ron ^*^

Old April 3rd 06, 07:49 PM posted to alt.child-support,alt.mens-rights,alt.support.divorce

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Werebat" wrote in message

[...]

Is that how it was stated? Or was it that mom *used* dad as a

babysitter when it was convenient for her?

Since the response was posted by one of the fathers, perhaps you can

explain the distinction - it certainly wasn't one
of the moms posting about babysitting the children.

As if a mother is going to admit that she views the father as a babysitter.
What's wrong with you?

Kid is fussy A Carter Single Parents 56 October 14th 05 06:48 PM
Washington Times - Custody's High Stakes Dusty Child Support 3 July 13th 05 02:39 AM
Father Gets Child Custody in LaMusga Move-Away Case Dusty Child Support 0 May 2nd 04 09:15 PM
Statistics for Sheila Bobbi Child Support 11 March 3rd 04 03:35 PM
The Determination of Child Custody in the USA Fighting for kids Child Support 21 November 17th 03 01:35 AM