Should I complain?

Old November 14th 03, 08:21 PM
Chotii

Default Should I complain?

"Stephanie and Tim" wrote in message
I received a parenting mag subscription for a present when my son was born
(almost 3 years ago). They are still sending it to me. 27% of MOTHERS said
it is not OK to nurse in public, and that others should not be forced to
take in the view. My GOD, what is WITH people? How can people be so
ignorant, mean spirited and petty? I wish people could stop minding other
people's business. On a rant side track, it reminds me about people who

feel
threatened by civil unions or gay marriage as threatening or undermining
THEIR heterosexual marriage. I would like to know how the behavior of the
guy next door, or the woman and baby at the booth next to you, can impact
you so severely. If it bothers you, rather than make THEM stop, all you

have
to do is turn your head and look the other way. But NO someone has to

force
their stupid "values" down other people's throats.

GRRRR. Think this burns me a little? I am almost bummed out that I do not
live in a place which gives folks grief for NIP. I would just LOVE to give

person a piece of my mind.

Makes me want to run out and NIP right now... Except that no one in
Burlington VT would even look twice except to smile at how sweet babies

are.

Hee hee hee. Ditto the Seattle area. I sat down on a bench at the grocery
store the other day facing a line of customers going through check-out.
(This was the only convenient bench.) Not a person *noticed*, let alone
cared. And I don't bother with nursing shirts, just hike up the hem of
whatever shirt I have on. I have had people come over to admire the baby,
and only *then* realise she's eating (and then they recoil in fear of
disturbing her, not in offense). I love that about this area.

I do have people try to offer me a changing room to nurse in - happened 2
days ago at Fred Meyer - but I just looked astonished and said, "Oh, no, I'm
perfectly comfortable here!" (sitting on a low riser in the baby items
section) and she didn't press the matter. I even carry a folding 3-leg seat
with a shoulder strap, which I hang over the handles of the stroller. If I'm
somewhere with no convenient places to sit, like Toys R Us, I just pop that
up and sit to nurse. I suppose somebody might wonder why I carry a chair
around, but nobody's said anything at all.

--angela

Old November 14th 03, 09:34 PM
AlenasMom

"Chotii" wrote in message

[...]

What a great idea!!!!

Old November 15th 03, 12:40 AM
Marvin L. Zinn

Stephanie,

I would like to know how the behavior of the
guy next door, or the woman and baby at the booth next to you, can impact
you so severely.

I think it makes them jealous because they haven't got enough sense to
know how God intended babies to be fed, or maybe they did not have the
privilege themselves, so their brains were damaged by malnutrition.

Marvin'

Marvin L. Zinn
Reply to:
Using Virtual Access
Windows 2000 build 2600

Old November 15th 03, 06:08 AM
iphigenia

Chotii wrote:
even carry a folding 3-leg seat with a shoulder strap, which I hang
over the handles of the stroller.

Oh, now, YOU are brilliant! Excellent idea.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old November 15th 03, 08:31 AM
Chotii

"iphigenia" wrote in message
Chotii wrote:
even carry a folding 3-leg seat with a shoulder strap, which I hang
over the handles of the stroller.

Oh, now, YOU are brilliant! Excellent idea.

Ooh, here's an inexpensive source for those camp stools:
http://www.ourtradeshow.com/dandyseat.html ($5.95 plus tax/shipping). I
found mine at a thrift store though.

I have an even better idea though: a porta-potty (camping sized) in the van.
I think we use this thing at least once a day (compared to the stool, maybe
once a week). Sometimes even I have to use it (hello, post-VBAC
incontinence) and I just drape a series of blankets around from one car-seat
headrest to the other, to create some privacy. When we get home, I just
take the bucket out, dump it in the toilet in the house, rinse it out, and
put it back in the van. We used to do this with a training potty, but it
simply didn't have the capacity, was a bit small even for the kids (at 4 and
6), and was inclined to spill. I'm running around sometimes for hours with 3
little girls. It's so much better than making emergency stops at gas
stations or wherever.

I bought the Reliance Hassock toilet from 4outdoorfun.com, which was the
cheapest I could find (half the price of some other websites, and a third of
the cost of the Coleman portable available at my local Target or Fred
Meyer): http://www.4outdoorfun.com/relhastoil.html

Necessity is the mother of invention. This mother is full of inventions.

--angela

Old November 15th 03, 05:23 PM
Jacqueline McKeig

The next time someone asks you to stop feeding your child in public you just
ask them to stop eating their Sandwich or throw their coffee away. It is
second nature in today's society to grab a quick snack on the run. In both
cases, breastfeeding and snacking, there are rules of common courtesy to
follow, such as eating with your mouth closed or using a blanket or your
shirt to cover up as much exposed area as possible. I do not see anyone out
there asking the general public to stop eating or drinking. In fact if you
ask any dietitian they will tell you it is better to eat 6 times a day. I
understand that if the rules of common courtesy are not being followed then
this may offend people around you but that goes for everyone and not just
breastfeeding moms. As for the argument of breastfeeding in public, more
people need to go grab a carrot stick and stop complaining.

"betty" wrote in message
What you should do is to file a complaint at the ontario human right
commission.
It is your right to breastfeed in public and it is discriminatory to ask

you
to stop.
We have to stop accepting this behavior, if people were more tolerant to
woman who breastfeed, many more mother would breastfeed in Canada.
"AlenasMom" a écrit dans le message de
news: rs.com...
I was nursing Alena in a restaurant in Toronto over the weekend and was
told that if I didn't stop, I would be charged $500.00 by the police!
I don't know who I should talk to. Should I call the manager, or should

call the owner of the chain?
What do you think.

--
Lina
Alena born July 1st, 2003

May due dates Mary S. Pregnancy 3 May 8th 04 02:23 AM
"ADHD" - A subjective diagnosis Psi Kids Health 42 May 5th 04 09:49 AM
ER visit -- part vent, should I complain? Long, as usual Tina General 40 September 23rd 03 01:36 PM
Dealing with "mommy dearest" Ali's Daddie General 15 August 13th 03 08:59 PM