Solids for medication

Old December 3rd 03, 11:16 PM
AlenasMom

Default Solids for medication

I have to give Alena a pill called Lausec (I think I spelled that right)
for her reflux. The only way I can give it to her is in some form of a
solid (like rice cereal or fruit... or something.)
Is this going to cause her allergies and problems because she's only 5
months old??? I sat and cried when my doctor told me this.
So I spent an hour looking for a rice cereal that wasn't made out of 35%
formula and wasn't made by Nestle (I'm boycotting them... I miss Aero bars
soooo much!!!) and found Heinz Rice Cereal.
Someone help me feel better about this....

--
Lina
Alena born July 1st, 2003

Old December 3rd 03, 11:20 PM
Dawn Lawson

AlenasMom wrote:

I have to give Alena a pill called Lausec (I think I spelled that right)
for her reflux. The only way I can give it to her is in some form of a
solid (like rice cereal or fruit... or something.)

If it's Losec, that's NOT the only way to give it.
I can explain how to make the tablets into a liquid....just ask Brigitte!

In fact, it should NOT be given with food, if at all possible, for best
effect.

It's simple enough to do at home if you can accurately follow a recipe.
Let me know. I will even contact your dr if they have an email address,
if you don't want to do it. You could also check for compounding
pharmacies in your area.

Dawn

Old December 3rd 03, 11:26 PM
AlenasMom

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

AlenasMom wrote:

I have to give Alena a pill called Lausec (I think I spelled that

right)
for her reflux. The only way I can give it to her is in some form of a
solid (like rice cereal or fruit... or something.)

If it's Losec, that's NOT the only way to give it.
I can explain how to make the tablets into a liquid....just ask Brigitte!

In fact, it should NOT be given with food, if at all possible, for best
effect.

It's simple enough to do at home if you can accurately follow a recipe.
Let me know. I will even contact your dr if they have an email address,
if you don't want to do it. You could also check for compounding
pharmacies in your area.

Dawn

If there's a better way, I would LOVE to not feed her this crap just yet.

I've been arguing with my pediatrician that she doesn't need them. She's on
lots of iron supplement for her low iron count and I don't want to drum up
business for him by giving her more illnesses and allergies

Old December 3rd 03, 11:58 PM
Cheryl S.

"AlenasMom" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
I have to give Alena a pill called Lausec (I think I
spelled that right) for her reflux. The only way I can
give it to her is in some form of a solid (like rice cereal
or fruit... or something.) Is this going to cause her
allergies and problems because she's only 5 months
old??? I sat and cried when my doctor told me this.
So I spent an hour looking for a rice cereal that wasn't
made out of 35% formula and wasn't made by Nestle
(I'm boycotting them... I miss Aero bars
soooo much!!!) and found Heinz Rice Cereal.
Someone help me feel better about this....

I don't know if it makes you feel any better but it does sound to me
like you're overreacting about this. I don't think 5 months is *that*
young for starting solids. Most people I know still go by the 4-6 month
recommendation. Plus if she only needs to eat a bite or two of cereal
to get a pill down, that is not exactly "feeding solids". I can't
believe it would have an effect on whether she develops allergies. How
close is she to 6 months, if that is when you'd planned on starting
solids? Can you ask the doctor what it would matter to wait a couple
weeks or so before giving her this medicine? Why does putting the pill
in rice cereal help her eat it? DS seems to have reflux too. We were
at the doctor about two weeks ago for that. His doctor told me that the
reflux often starts getting better around 6 months when they start to
sit up more, and when they start solids, the food stays in their stomach
better. So hopefully that will be true for you.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 8 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old December 4th 03, 01:00 AM
Dawn Lawson

AlenasMom wrote:

I have to give Alena a pill called Lausec (I think I spelled that

right)

for her reflux. The only way I can give it to her is in some form of a
solid (like rice cereal or fruit... or something.)

If it's Losec, that's NOT the only way to give it.
I can explain how to make the tablets into a liquid....just ask Brigitte!

In fact, it should NOT be given with food, if at all possible, for best
effect.

It's simple enough to do at home if you can accurately follow a recipe.
Let me know. I will even contact your dr if they have an email address,
if you don't want to do it. You could also check for compounding
pharmacies in your area.

Dawn

If there's a better way, I would LOVE to not feed her this crap just yet.

IS it Losec?
It's really not hard to make it into a liquid, and it will be even more
good if she gets it without food, afaik.
Email me. (remove the obvious in my addy)

I've been arguing with my pediatrician that she doesn't need them. She's on
lots of iron supplement for her low iron count and I don't want to drum up
business for him by giving her more illnesses and allergies

If you don't want to feed her, that is entirely up to you, and I dont
think you're overreacting, justtating a preference to wait a bit loger

Old December 4th 03, 11:08 AM
Matt C

You don't need to buy it - if you make it then you know what is in it. Cook
it until it is really tender, puree it with some BM. Make a large batch and
freeze it in ice cube trays for future use.

Jacqui

.cable.rogers.com...

Old December 4th 03, 04:08 PM
Cheryl S.

If you don't want to feed her, that is entirely up to
you, and I dont think you're overreacting, justtating
a preference to wait a bit loger

"Just stating a preference to wait a bit longer" is one thing; crying in
the doctor's office over it is another. JMO. Though of course I
completely agree that what to feed Alena and when, is completely up to
AlenasMom.

Old December 4th 03, 05:20 PM
Dawn Lawson

Cheryl S. wrote:

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

If you don't want to feed her, that is entirely up to
you, and I dont think you're overreacting, justtating
a preference to wait a bit loger

"Just stating a preference to wait a bit longer" is one thing; crying in
the doctor's office over it is another. JMO. Though of course I
completely agree that what to feed Alena and when, is completely up to
AlenasMom.

*shrug*
doctors can be overbearing and upsetting.

Dawn

Old December 8th 03, 04:16 AM
DeliciousTruffles

Dawn Lawson wrote:

AlenasMom wrote:

I have to give Alena a pill called Lausec (I think I spelled that right)
for her reflux. The only way I can give it to her is in some form of a
solid (like rice cereal or fruit... or something.)

If it's Losec, that's NOT the only way to give it.
I can explain how to make the tablets into a liquid....just ask Brigitte!

Sorry I'm jumping in late with this....I was out of town.

Joshua was on Losec from before he was 1 yo (I can't quite remember how
old he was when he started; maybe 9 mo?) to just before his 2nd birthday.

I made the Losec into a liquid at home because it was very easy (thanks,
Dawn :-) ).

Let me know if you want the information.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old December 8th 03, 08:18 AM
KC

Don't cry sweetie. I can relate because I am an easy cryer and I end
up crying over things I am worrying about too. Both my kids got food
at 4 months and have no allergies. They are both doing great in every
respect too. Both my pedis (we moved) recommended starting solids at 4
- 6 months. I think probably the vast majority of people start solids
at 4 or5 months, but you wouldn't know it from reading this group.

Dont pedis often prescribe rice cereal for reflux? Neither of my kids
had reflux, but I am sure I have heard of rice cereal being prescribed
for it, so just think of the rice cereal as part of the medicine.

KC

"AlenasMom" wrote in message t.cable.rogers.com...
I have to give Alena a pill called Lausec (I think I spelled that right)
for her reflux. The only way I can give it to her is in some form of a
solid (like rice cereal or fruit... or something.)
Is this going to cause her allergies and problems because she's only 5
months old??? I sat and cried when my doctor told me this.
So I spent an hour looking for a rice cereal that wasn't made out of 35%
formula and wasn't made by Nestle (I'm boycotting them... I miss Aero bars
soooo much!!!) and found Heinz Rice Cereal.
Someone help me feel better about this....

Not offering solids yet?! Andrea Breastfeeding 8 December 5th 03 08:57 PM
We stopped solids! Andrea Breastfeeding 15 October 27th 03 11:34 PM
Medical Abstracts re Intro of Solids? Belphoebe Breastfeeding 3 August 25th 03 02:13 PM
poop, solids vent.. ted Breastfeeding 3 August 14th 03 04:44 PM
solids and a 6 month old DavesFatChick Breastfeeding 4 July 28th 03 08:21 PM