Ponder

Old December 14th 03, 03:45 PM
Sara

Default Ponder

New York Jen wrote:

Oh, I know...but I think Sara was just curious where we're all posting
from...

You understand me, Jen.... sniff...

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle
Old December 14th 03, 05:23 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Elana Kehoe wrote:

But I sure have
had a lot of "Oh, well, if you can't have milk...I'd wean him by now!!
Aren't you good?"

I was griping to SIL (with 2 ff babies) last time we were
there about not being able to have milk, in the context of
how hard it made it to eat out. She said, "Oh, I didn't
even try to bf, because it's such a hassle." I did point
out that Caterpillar would likely need super-expensive
formula, but I don't think it sunk in.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old December 14th 03, 05:28 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

AlenasMom wrote:

What do women do for breastfeeding problems in other countries?

In a back issue of Mothering, I saw an essay about a woman
who was staying with an extended family in northern Africa
(I want to say Morocco). The nursing toddler attempted to
nurse off of her, because his mom had cracked nipples that
didn't respond to whatever the normal treatment there was,
so all the other women in the household just nursed him
instead. He was used to just walking up to the nearest
woman when he was hungry. That works great when you have
big families living together, so you have 3-4 lactating
women in the household all the time, but isn't likely to
catch on here.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old December 14th 03, 05:49 PM
Akuvikate

"AlenasMom" wrote in message . cable.rogers.com...
I'm just thinking about breastfeeding and other cultures. (This was sparked
by the "Am I the only one who finds this easy?" thread and by a book I'm
reading called "Fresh Milk" by Fiona Giles.

What do women do for breastfeeding problems in other countries? Things like
mastitis, cracked nipples, blebs, low supply etc.?? Does anyone know? I'm
genuinely curious.

In our culture we go to lactation consultants, doctors, midwives, our
newsgroups etc... but what about places where these aren't available?

Two possibilities:
1. As has been mentioned, experienced help from other women, and
2. Tough it out, because there is no alternative.

Even in cultures where breastfeeding is essentially universal and
always has been, that doesn't mean everyone has it down perfectly.
Where I lived in West Africa babies traditionally got sugar water or
another woman's milk the first few days because colostrum was
considered no good. And I did know two women with supply problems.
One had a very difficult birth and consequently low milk, and her baby
managed to just hold on long enough with evaporated and donor milk
until she was able to start solids early (I saw the girl a few years
later and she seemed like a perfectly healthy 6 year old). The other
was relactating to take care of her neice (whose mother died in
childbirth) and the baby didn't make it.

Kate
and the Bug, June 8 2003
Old December 14th 03, 08:59 PM
Irish Marie

"Sara" wrote in message
AlenasMom wrote:

What do women do for breastfeeding problems in other countries?

Veering OT -- what countries are being posted from here? USA, Canada,
Australia, New Zealand, UKofGBandNI, Denmark... that's off the top of
my head. Where else?

Republic of Ireland x 3 posters
Jean
Elana
Me
:-)
--
Marie
Mum of 3

Old December 14th 03, 10:37 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

AlenasMom wrote:

I'm just thinking about breastfeeding and other cultures. (This was sparked
by the "Am I the only one who finds this easy?" thread and by a book I'm
reading called "Fresh Milk" by Fiona Giles.

What do women do for breastfeeding problems in other countries? Things like
mastitis, cracked nipples, blebs, low supply etc.?? Does anyone know? I'm
genuinely curious.

In our culture we go to lactation consultants, doctors, midwives, our
newsgroups etc... but what about places where these aren't available?

I think other women have as many problems as we do but they probably
have access to more immediate help (e.g., sisters, mother, aunts) within
the family as well as friends and neighbors.

Jeanne

Old December 15th 03, 07:24 AM
azure

"AlenasMom" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
I'm just thinking about breastfeeding and other cultures. (This was

sparked
by the "Am I the only one who finds this easy?" thread and by a book I'm
reading called "Fresh Milk" by Fiona Giles.

What do women do for breastfeeding problems in other countries? Things

like
mastitis, cracked nipples, blebs, low supply etc.?? Does anyone know? I'm
genuinely curious.

In our culture we go to lactation consultants, doctors, midwives, our
newsgroups etc... but what about places where these aren't available?

I bet a lot of babies are breastfed by live-in rellies, sisters, aunts,
cousins, grandmothers and so on. I don't think like low-supply (perceived
or otherwise) would occur only in westernised countries, and why would you
let your baby go hungry if someone you loved in the same house was
lactating? Imagine how it would be if you did get damaged nipples, so you
could pass baby to an Aunt for a week to feed while you healed, then
gradually build up supply - no nipple confusion, yay!

---

Old December 15th 03, 07:47 AM
Elana Kehoe

Phoebe & Allyson wrote:

Elana Kehoe wrote:

But I sure have
had a lot of "Oh, well, if you can't have milk...I'd wean him by now!!
Aren't you good?"

I was griping to SIL (with 2 ff babies) last time we were
there about not being able to have milk, in the context of
how hard it made it to eat out. She said, "Oh, I didn't
even try to bf, because it's such a hassle." I did point
out that Caterpillar would likely need super-expensive
formula, but I don't think it sunk in.

That Neocate is expensive...and either that or Nutramigen sounds like it
isn't the best taste in the world. It's amazing how people think bf is
a "hassle"...for whom, exactly? In what way? That you can't just prop
up a bottle and walk away from the kid?

I've learned the hard way that you shouldn't gripe about not having milk
with anyone but your partner or other moms avoiding. People just look
at you weird and say "Well, have some then!"
--
It's Tis Herself
Old December 15th 03, 08:04 AM
AlenasMom

"Sara" wrote in message
AlenasMom wrote:

What do women do for breastfeeding problems in other countries?

Veering OT -- what countries are being posted from here? USA, Canada,
Australia, New Zealand, UKofGBandNI, Denmark... that's off the top of
my head. Where else?

--
Sara, feeling global

I'm in Canada. Just outside Toronto Ontario

Old December 15th 03, 09:25 AM
Anne Rogers

I'm just thinking about breastfeeding and other cultures. (This was sparked
by the "Am I the only one who finds this easy?" thread and by a book I'm
reading called "Fresh Milk" by Fiona Giles.

What do women do for breastfeeding problems in other countries? Things like
mastitis, cracked nipples, blebs, low supply etc.?? Does anyone know? I'm
genuinely curious.

In our culture we go to lactation consultants, doctors, midwives, our
newsgroups etc... but what about places where these aren't available?

perhaps they actually talk! I would consider myself lucky in that most
people I know breastfeed, my mum breastfed etc. but I don't ask them when
I have problems I ask you lot, it's just not done to talk about breasts
or breastfeeding. I only have one close friend who I can talk about it to,
but that's only recently, we never talked about it 6 months ago, even
though we were both feeding new borns at the time.

It's the same with pregnancy and labour things, yesterday at lunch I was
talking to my friend who is now 42 weeks pregnant, she'll probably end up
being induced on Thursday. She was obviously quite happy to hear what I
had to say, wanting to know what induction was like etc. but all the men
kept groaning about the conversation. She seems like she needs more info
about breastfeeding, but hasn't gone out to get it herself and it's
frowned upon to talk about it, grrrr. She'll end up mixed feeding I
expect.