It's Child Support Guidelines that Need Surgery, Not 'Deadbeat Dads'

Old May 19th 04, 09:15 AM
Mike

Default It's Child Support Guidelines that Need Surgery, Not 'Deadbeat Dads'

In message , free
writes
I understand your concerns but it seems that every one forgets about
the children. When a ncp is out of work or sick is the child just
suppose to starve or go with out clothing or shelter.

How is the NCP supposed to pay money he (or she) doesn't have? Rob a
bank perhaps? What if the NCP were dead? Is the child supposed to
starve or go without clothing or shelter?

I am a parent
who has recieved no support in over a year the reason father says he
can't keep a job in this economy, but I am still expected to provide I
can't just say to my daughter I am sick to day so you cannot eat.

Do you go out to work even when you're seriously ill? Can you still
collect you wages/salary when you're unemployed? Amazing!

The
expectation gets left on me because I am there. She looks to me
because I am there what are we suppose to do just give our kids to the
state or do we fight for their voice in the mist of every one being
concerned about themselves.

You (and you alone) chose to have a child. Unlike the father, you had
other options.

There are men who drop babies like flies
yes the mother bears some of the responsibility but she faces and
deals with that responsibility every day when she loves and provides
for her babies while he runs all over the state dropping babies and
you feel he should not be treated more harshly please!

Women "drop babies" (the phrase means "give birth"). It takes two to
conceive a child but the decision to carry to term is the woman's.

I live with my
decision every day and have to face those challenges every day and
these dads have to also.

No. You live with *your* decision and you expect the child's father to
live with *your* decision too.

--
Mike

Old May 19th 04, 08:41 PM
TeacherMama

(free) wrote in message . com...
I understand your concerns but it seems that every one forgets about
the children. When a ncp is out of work or sick is the child just
suppose to starve or go with out clothing or shelter. I am a parent
who has recieved no support in over a year the reason father says he
can't keep a job in this economy, but I am still expected to provide I
can't just say to my daughter I am sick to day so you cannot eat. The
expectation gets left on me because I am there. She looks to me
because I am there what are we suppose to do just give our kids to the
state or do we fight for their voice in the mist of every one being
concerned about themselves. There are men who drop babies like flies
yes the mother bears some of the responsibility but she faces and
deals with that responsibility every day when she loves and provides
for her babies while he runs all over the state dropping babies and
you feel he should not be treated more harshly please! I live with my
decision every day and have to face those challenges every day and
these dads have to also.

How is having no income seen as "forgetting about the children," free?
How does accumulating a massive debt while searching for new
employment or recuperating from illness or injury help the CP or the
child during the employment search or recuperation period? I don't
think any caring father wants to think of his child doing without the
basics, but how would you propose he pay his child support with NO
INCOME?

There are some real deadbeats out there, just as there are CPs who
spend the child support money on themselves rather than their
children. But those are not the ones that the system squashes,
because it is just too much work to hassle them. The system penalizes
those that it thinks it will get something from--those who try to keep
up, but, for one reason or another fall behind.

When you and your daughter's father were together, was he a solid,
bill-paying, upstanding citizen? Or was he frequently unemployd then,
too? If he's acting now the same as he did then, why would you expect
him to be any different? If he has changed, what has caused him to be
the frequently unemployed man of today? It seems obvious, from your
post, that you are going to shoulder the entire burden of meeting your
child's needs. Do you think that any amount of consequences for those
that have fallen on hard times are going to change your child's
father?

My husband has a 15 year old daughter by a one night stand that he
only found out about 2 years ago. He was assigned 2 years arrearages
and a large child support payment. It's good that his child is being
supported--her mother has never held a job and we, the taxpayers,
support her and all of her children. If my husband were to lose his
job, CSE would go out of its way to make sure that CS was still
paid--and it would not matter to them that our 2 children might not
have their needs met. ONLY the child needing CS would be considered.
Is that ok? Or should ALL of the children involved be considered
equally? I ask, because in your post, you mention that everyone
forgets about the children. I, myself, don't think it would be right
for my children to do without clothing or shelter so that his other
child can continue to play soccer. How about you--do you think we
should think about ALL the children--or just those whose CP is due
child support?