Dumb question I'm sure but will I know...

Old September 8th 05, 07:38 PM
Raebo

Default Dumb question I'm sure but will I know...

I'm 40wk and 5days. All last night I was having period like cramps but
slept fine. Today the cramps have cranked it up a notch and are
lasting about 30 seconds and are happening regularly. Will I know when
I've started having contractions - as opposed to having cramps? The
cramps are low in my abdomen/pelvic area. I'm guessing contractions
would be felt across my entire uterus??? I'm sure those who've gone
through this are laughing - duh, will you know when you're having a
contraction....but please humour a newbie!

Old September 8th 05, 08:12 PM
Cheryl

I'm not a medical proffessional but i will say this. When I had my
first the only contractions i had felt like period cramps but WAY
worse. I was induced with him, but i never had contractions up high,
they were all low at my pelvic bone. So I guess, if you feel these
could be contractions, you should call your Dr. or midwife. And if you
ARE in labor...... congratulations and good luck. Fingers crossed that
everything goes smoothly.

Old September 8th 05, 08:14 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Raebo wrote:
I'm 40wk and 5days. All last night I was having period like cramps but
slept fine. Today the cramps have cranked it up a notch and are
lasting about 30 seconds and are happening regularly. Will I know when
I've started having contractions - as opposed to having cramps? The
cramps are low in my abdomen/pelvic area. I'm guessing contractions
would be felt across my entire uterus??? I'm sure those who've gone
through this are laughing - duh, will you know when you're having a
contraction....but please humour a newbie!

Odds are that this will gradually move into
active labor (but don't get too excited--it could take
several days ;-) ). They're all contractions. It's
just that you don't have to take things seriously
until they're longer (a good 60-90 seconds, usually),
stronger (such that you can't talk through them), and
closer together (generally five minutes or less).
If you can ignore them, just go on your merry way.
Occasionally you'll want to take action before
things reach the textbook definition of longer/stronger/
closer together, and if you've got a little voice in
your head telling you it's time to get moving NOW!
then you should consider listening to it. But, in
the vast majority of cases you can wait until then
and still have hours and hours to go, so no rush.
I don't find it particularly useful to distinguish
between cramps and contractions. You just have to
worry about knowing when you need to do something
(go to the hospital, call the midwife, etc.).

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old September 8th 05, 08:16 PM
Emily

Raebo wrote:
I'm 40wk and 5days. All last night I was having period like cramps but
slept fine. Today the cramps have cranked it up a notch and are
lasting about 30 seconds and are happening regularly. Will I know when
I've started having contractions - as opposed to having cramps? The
cramps are low in my abdomen/pelvic area. I'm guessing contractions
would be felt across my entire uterus??? I'm sure those who've gone
through this are laughing - duh, will you know when you're having a
contraction....but please humour a newbie!

Hi Raebo,

I think everyone experiences it differently. For me, cramps last
a long time, contractions are periodic. What you describe sounds like
contractions. How often are they happening? It's probably worthwhile
to call in to your care provider just to check in, but you're also
right to expect that this might go on for a while.

Emily
--
DS 5/02
EDD 3 days ago
Old September 8th 05, 08:37 PM
Raebo

They are happening fairly frequently but not regularly, say 4 every
half hour but not every 5 1/2 minutes - more sporadic like two in a row
than nothing for 10 minutes. They are also only last 30 seconds or
less.

I know the def'n of active labour (which is when the midwife wants a
call unless my water breaks) but I really appreciate the comments that
cramps are a form of contractions. Also that contractions can be
located in the lower parts only.
I'm trying not to get excited but I can't help but be relieved that
something is happening - looks good for avoiding the induction!

Thanks a ton ladies!

Old September 8th 05, 08:50 PM
Jamie Clark

Uhm, hello...cramps are contractions. I think you are feeling your cervix
working on opening up a bit. Congrats!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

oups.com...

Old September 8th 05, 11:02 PM
April & Bump

"Raebo" wrote in message
oups.com...
They are happening fairly frequently but not regularly, say 4 every
half hour but not every 5 1/2 minutes - more sporadic like two in a row
than nothing for 10 minutes. They are also only last 30 seconds or
less.

I know the def'n of active labour (which is when the midwife wants a
call unless my water breaks) but I really appreciate the comments that
cramps are a form of contractions. Also that contractions can be
located in the lower parts only.
I'm trying not to get excited but I can't help but be relieved that
something is happening - looks good for avoiding the induction!

Thanks a ton ladies!

Keep us up to date and gl, remember to post back here when you can and tell
all storys to us. I am so jelous you wouldnt belive!!!!

Old September 8th 05, 11:52 PM
Marie

On 8 Sep 2005 12:37:18 -0700, "Raebo" wrote:
They are happening fairly frequently but not regularly, say 4 every
half hour but not every 5 1/2 minutes - more sporadic like two in a row
than nothing for 10 minutes. They are also only last 30 seconds or
less.

I personally would guess that you are starting labor. I bet you're
excited! lol The two times I went in labor naturally, it started out
like menstrual cramps. Go walk a mile or so and then go to sleep!
Marie
Old September 9th 05, 02:32 AM
oregonchick

"Raebo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm 40wk and 5days. All last night I was having period like cramps but
slept fine. Today the cramps have cranked it up a notch and are
lasting about 30 seconds and are happening regularly. Will I know when
I've started having contractions - as opposed to having cramps? The
cramps are low in my abdomen/pelvic area. I'm guessing contractions
would be felt across my entire uterus??? I'm sure those who've gone
through this are laughing - duh, will you know when you're having a
contraction....but please humour a newbie!

For me, it started out with my water breaking. Then I waited for the
contractions... At first it was like, "is that a contraction?" That went
on for about an hour. Then it moved into, "whoa momma, get me to the
hospital NOW!!!". I didn't have days or even hours of questionable
contractions, things moved very quickly. I was surprised, since that was my
first child. Here I am 8 years later with #2, and I wonder how it will be
this time!

Betsy

Old September 9th 05, 04:18 AM
Jo

Raebo wrote:
I'm 40wk and 5days. All last night I was having period like cramps but
slept fine. Today the cramps have cranked it up a notch and are
lasting about 30 seconds and are happening regularly. Will I know when
I've started having contractions - as opposed to having cramps? The
cramps are low in my abdomen/pelvic area. I'm guessing contractions
would be felt across my entire uterus??? I'm sure those who've gone
through this are laughing - duh, will you know when you're having a
contraction....but please humour a newbie!

The reason you only feel it down low is because though your whole uterus
is contracting (as always), it is pushing the baby down onto your
cervix. This is the discomfort you feel in your pelvic area.
Generally, contractions shouldn't hurt anywhere but down there. They
start up the top - just a muscle tightening - and push down. If you
feel the top of your uterus while you are getting the 'cramps' then you
should notice it become quite tense.

This seems like early labour to me!

Enjoy!!

Jo (Mum to Will, 3.5 months)

Another child killed in kincare Kane General 39 February 12th 04 06:55 PM
Kids should work... Doan Spanking 33 December 10th 03 08:05 PM
| | Kids should work... Kane Foster Parents 3 December 8th 03 11:53 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane Spanking 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane Foster Parents 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM