should I nightwean?

Old June 13th 07, 09:50 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Linda

Default should I nightwean?

DD is 17 months old, happy, healthy and still nurses quite often during the
day and night. She goes through spurts of wanting to eat solids and will
eat lots and at other times just picks. I've never fussed too much as I
know she's still growing well and getting a lot from me.
Only problem is we want to have another child. For a number of reasons we
had wanted to have them close together but at this rate who knows when I'll
get my period back. I have severe polycystic ovarian syndrome and was
originally told that I would probably never have kids. Well DD was
conceived the first time we decided to stop using contraception to see what
would happen, which could have just been a wonderful blessing, or could mean
that maybe it's not too hard for me to get pregant after all.
We co-sleep and I am quite fine with her nursing as much as she wants to in
the night, so it's not that I actually want to stop, but I'm wondering if I
should to increase my chances of getting a period back. Thing is, I might
be one of those women that don't get a period as long as I'm still nursing
even infrequently, plus what if I can't have another baby - I would be
depriving her for nothing. But on the other hand, if I am going to have
troubles having another kid surely I should be trying to get pregnant in
case it takes a while - or not??

I just don't know what to do - DH keeps saying I should wean her just
because she's too old to be nursing anyway (to which I keep explaining that
I want to for as long as she and I still enjoy it) but he doesn't really
mind, I think it's just a society thing.
So the answer for him is easy, but I'm just not sure.

Plus then there would actually be the logistics of night weaning. We plan
on cosleeping for a while yet - till she's ready for her own bed, so that
would make it difficult to wean her although I did read on the Sears site
some ways to go about it. But it involves a couple of weeks of miserable
nights, which I really don't want to subject any of us to when it might not
even make any difference.

Thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated

Old June 13th 07, 03:13 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

linda wrote:

Thing is, I might
be one of those women that don't get a period as long as I'm still nursing
even infrequently, plus what if I can't have another baby - I would be
depriving her for nothing. But on the other hand, if I am going to have
troubles having another kid surely I should be trying to get pregnant in
case it takes a while - or not??

Ahh... what a difficult decision. In your
position, I would keep nursing day and night
for another couple of months and see what
happens. I got AF back at 11 months with
Pillbug and 16 months with Rocky. Both times,
I was still nursing strong.

I just don't know what to do - DH keeps saying I should wean her just
because she's too old to be nursing anyway (to which I keep explaining that
I want to for as long as she and I still enjoy it) but he doesn't really
mind, I think it's just a society thing.

Rocky is now 2yo and we are still nursing strong.
One thing I have learned, though, is that I need
to have ready answers when I nurse in public! It's
not every day that people see a 2yo nursing and
some people make rude comments.

Plus then there would actually be the logistics of night weaning. We plan
on cosleeping for a while yet - till she's ready for her own bed, so that
would make it difficult to wean her although I did read on the Sears site
some ways to go about it.

It was not that miserable for us to night wean
and we are still co-sleeping (at 2yo). The first
thing I did was stop nursing to sleep. So, I
would nurse Rocky a good long nursing session
(keep him awake by talking to him or playing, if
I had to). Then, I would stop nursing him while
he was still awake. I also turned my back on him
and pretended to go to sleep. The first couple
of times, he was confused. But, then he started
playing by himself in the dark for 15 minutes,
up to 45 minutes. He would finally lay down and
fall asleep by himself. (I would usually be
asleep by then.)

Once he had figured out that he could fall
asleep without being latched on, I then wore
my nursing bra with a regular t-shirt to bed,
so that it was more difficult for me to just
automatically latch him on in my sleep. Then,
when Rocky fussed for a nursing, I would get
fully awake because I had to do more work to
lift my shirt, unbutton my bra, etc. I would
deliberately do this very slowly, so that
sometimes he fell back asleep before I latched
him on.

There were also a few times that I got up
after he fell asleep and did stuff (clean the
house, quilting) and that's when I realized
that he was nursing only 2x, maybe, in the
night.

So, this was a pretty gentle way of night
weaning. The final thing was that I always
nursed him in the morning when he wanted it,
so that he knew he could nurse in the morning.
I think that also helped.

-- Anita --
Old June 14th 07, 02:08 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Engram

Irrational Number wrote:
linda wrote:

Thing is, I might
be one of those women that don't get a period as long as I'm still
nursing even infrequently, plus what if I can't have another baby -
I would be depriving her for nothing. But on the other hand, if I
am going to have troubles having another kid surely I should be
trying to get pregnant in case it takes a while - or not??

Ahh... what a difficult decision. In your
position, I would keep nursing day and night
for another couple of months and see what
happens. I got AF back at 11 months with
Pillbug and 16 months with Rocky. Both times,
I was still nursing strong.

As Anita said, keep going if you want to and see what happens. I got
pregnant with DD when DS was 6 months old and still nursing strong. I didn't
even have my period back. I went off the minipill and two weeks later - BAM!
Up the duff. LOL So even though you're not menstruating you may actually be
ovulating. Some women do.

Aren't there ovulation test kits? Grab one and see what's going on with your
body.

Engram

Old June 14th 07, 09:59 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
tcmtracey

On Jun 13, 6:08 pm, "Engram" wrote:
Irrational Number wrote:
linda wrote:

[...]

Engram- Hide quoted text -

I also got my period back after a little over a year of nursing my
little man, who is now 19 months and going strong.
I agree that she could do ovulation tests and she could also start
taking her basal temperature every morning. There is a website that
helps you track your temperatures for free. www.fertilityfriend.com
Another suggestion would be to go for acupuncture and Chinese herbs
(but make sure you tell the practioner that you are nursing) to treat
the polycystic ovary syndrome. Avoidance of dampening foods such as
dairy, soy, greasy foods, and sugar will also help the condition.
Tracey (acupuncturist/mom) ;-)

Old June 16th 07, 08:09 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Linda

[...]

Thanks for all your comments Anita, and that does sound like a not so hard
method of night weaning, if it works for us like it did for you!! I think
I'll hold off for a couple of months though and see how things go.

Old June 16th 07, 08:12 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Linda

"Engram" wrote in message
u...
Irrational Number wrote:
linda wrote:

[...]

Thats a good idea, I'll do that. My fertility problem (in theory) is that I
will sometimes only ovulate once every few months when things are normal,
and any emotional disturbance can affect that as well. So I doubt I would
be ovulating, but it's certainly worth checking - my system is messed up
enough that you never know!

Thanks

Old June 16th 07, 08:13 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Linda

"tcmtracey" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 13, 6:08 pm, "Engram" wrote:
Irrational Number wrote:
linda wrote:

[...]

I was thinking of seeing of homeopath, different I know, but this might be
another path if I don't any good answers from her. Thanks for the
suggestion - and for the food ideas - I really think diet does make a big
difference but I do get slack - I love chocolate.

Old June 24th 07, 12:46 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Linda

"Engram" wrote in message
u...
Irrational Number wrote:
linda wrote:

[...]

Would you believe I got my period back this morning. I was planning on
getting a pack of ovulation tests, if I had done it straight away after
posting previously I would probably have been ovulating!! So still no
guarantees about conceiving but hey at least I don't have to worry about
weaning dd now - yay.