How many c/s can you safely have?

Old June 7th 04, 04:03 AM
Melody

Default How many c/s can you safely have?

"Amy" wrote in message
It is likely that
any future children she has, given her history, will also be born by c/s,

so
how many can you safely have? Does the risk of uterine rupture etc or

risks
to the baby go up with each c/s?

Any stories/experiences appreciated.

I actually spoke to my midwife about this at my last appointment. She told
me that there's no set answer that applies to all women. She says it depends
on how well the incision heals from the previous c-section and depends on
what type of uterine incision was used (vertical or horizontal). She says it
also depends a lot on the skill of the doctor performing the c-sections. She
said that if a woman uses the same doctor for each section and the doctor is
highly skilled at performing c-sections that they have a better chance of
having more children than a woman who uses a variety of varuously skilled
doctors (i.e. technique has a lot to do with it).

Melody
#2 due 1/12/2005

Old June 7th 04, 12:16 PM
Sophie

I had a similar pronouncement in the operating room after my thrid
section.
The OB (who was the one on call, since it was a transport after a failed
homebirth) said I was stretched so thin it wasn't safe to have any more
children. Totally freaked my husband out. He backpedaled just days later

and
by my six week checkup was more or less acting like he never said it. I

think
he was just ****ed over the whole homebirth thing and trying to show off

his
medical credentials.

Explain to me how it can be safe to carry a baby around in your stretched

out
uterus for nine months but not to labor. I mean, if they are all that

sure
that you would rupture in labor, shouldn't they be advising against

pregnancy
at all?

Andrea explained that once. Something to do with when you have contractions
the bottom of your uterus gets sucked up, causing the rupture. Makes sense
to me why pregnancy is okay but not labor. Not that you were "talking" to
me

What do you plan, if you don't mind my asking? Are there more babies in

your
future?

Leslie

Old June 7th 04, 04:10 PM
Unadulterated Me

Leslie wrote:

Andrea said:

Go you!
;-)

Thanks! :-)

I expect six will be it--if we have anything to say about it, which given our
track record so far is debatable. ;-)

Leslie

Yeah well I was stopping after 3...lol

Old June 7th 04, 04:16 PM
Unadulterated Me

Leslie wrote:

Explain to me how it can be safe to carry a baby around in your stretched out
uterus for nine months but not to labor. I mean, if they are all that sure
that you would rupture in labor, shouldn't they be advising against pregnancy
at all?

I agree if you can get to 9 months without incidence you have pretty
good odds of getting the rest of the way, but then labour does tax the
uterus a little more than just carrying the baby so I won't claim it's
completely the same.

What do you plan, if you don't mind my asking? Are there more babies in your
future?

I'm still thinking about it ;-)
Leaning more to no than yes (gasp) but who knows, I change my mind
monthly, weekly even on the subject.

Old June 7th 04, 04:28 PM
Leslie

Sophie explained:

Andrea explained that once. Something to do with when you have contractions
the bottom of your uterus gets sucked up, causing the rupture. Makes sense
to me why pregnancy is okay but not labor. Not that you were "talking" to
me

I guess I can see that, but it still seems to me that if docs really consider
the uterus to be so weak, they wouldn't want to chance you even carrying a
baby.

Plus the whole rupture risk is so overblown anyway.

Leslie
Old June 7th 04, 04:28 PM
Unadulterated Me

Sophie wrote:

Andrea explained that once. Something to do with when you have contractions
the bottom of your uterus gets sucked up, causing the rupture. Makes sense
to me why pregnancy is okay but not labor. Not that you were "talking" to
me

Oh yeah I do vaguely remember having this conversation before..lol
The lower uterus gets pulled up into the upper, which is what the
contractions do to dilate the cervix and cause downward pressure on the
baby. In cases of obstructed labour, or unnaturally strong labour such
as an induced one, this thinning out of the lower uterus gets to a point
where a ring forms called bandles ring, sometimes you can feel it
through the skin, I had one but mine was only noted once I was operated
on you couldn't tell from the outside. This can occur on an unscarred
uterus though as well as a c/sectioned one, it's generally an
obstruction that causes it not having a scar. It makes sense to me that
the scar would just pull up with the segment of uterus it was on,
probably thin a little too, but it's surrounded my contractile muscle so
it's going to move with it, get pulled along by it if you can sort of
picture that. Also spontaneous ruptures when they occur are often in the
upper segment I think, I remember reading that somewhere, I should do
more reading on this stuff I may need to know it one day ;-)

Old June 7th 04, 04:29 PM
Leslie

Andrea said:

I agree if you can get to 9 months without incidence you have pretty
good odds of getting the rest of the way, but then labour does tax the
uterus a little more than just carrying the baby so I won't claim it's
completely the same.

I suppose that's true, but I still think the risks are overinflated. And they
always want to blame sections and VBACs and don't talk about pitocin-induced
ruptures of unsectioned women.

Leslie

Old June 9th 04, 04:48 AM
Wendy Pearson

Melody, I'm not sure how many scars she had but can you imagine? A
different incision site every time? She passed away two years ago so I
can't ask her about it but I know she had to go to a certain doctor an
hour or two away from where she lived because he was the only one she
could find who would do so many.

Wendy