Failed 1 Hour Glucose Test, Onto the 3 Hour!

Old January 17th 04, 09:40 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Default Failed 1 Hour Glucose Test, Onto the 3 Hour!

Carol Ann wrote:

I wonder if it's possible to call my OB and discuss canceling the 3 Hour
Test. At 156, I just don't see what the risk is. Couldn't they watch my
weight somehow? Aren't there alternatives?

If you buy into the notion that you need to test
for GD, there isn't any other reliable way to test for
it other than the three hour glucose challenge test.
People who gain a lot of weight during their pregnancy
are more likely to have a macrosomic baby (and women who
are overweight are more likely to be diagnosed with GD),
but you can't just tell from weight gain whether you
have GD.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 17th 04, 09:41 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Nan wrote:

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 16:30:09 GMT, "Carol Ann"
wrote:

My number was 156 (whatever that means). I think normal was 140 so I don't
see WHY I have to take another test.

Interesting.... my number was 150. My doc said the 'range' was
140-160 for what would be considered normal. Did you fast? I didn't
have to.

140 is the more common ceiling in the US, but
different caregivers do use different numbers (because
the research is far from clear on what's really problematic).

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 17th 04, 09:43 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Karen wrote:

The midwife told me not to eat cereal and drink oj for breakfast, but to
eat eggs and drink milk. So avoid carbs and sugars, but protein will
help you metabolize the glucose better. The lab tech were a little
worked up that I had eaten, but I said I was told to eat, and to eat
specific foods and avoid others.Also getting a bit of exercise while all
that glop is in your body I think can help a lot. With my first pg, dh
and I went out and walked for the hour. Now with pg #2, I just did the
glucose test yesterday. The midwife gave me the bottle of glop in the
office, to drink before I go. The lab is near ds preschool, so I rode
him to school on my bike like I usually do, then rode the bike to the
test. Haven't had the results yet, but I'm anticipating a good outcome,
will be very surprised if the number is out of range.

Maybe you can incorporate some of these ideas for the 3 hour test?
Although that blood draw every 30 minutes sounds like a pain, it might
be hard for you to get out and walk around a bit.

They will probably try to get you not to be very
physically active during the testing period, as that lowers
glucose levels. I've heard from several different sources
that the best way to "prepare" is to have goodly amounts of
carbs in the days leading up to the test (to get your insulin
levels up) and then have very few carbs the day of the
test (so that all that insulin is ready and waiting to
handle the sugar load).

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 17th 04, 10:09 PM
Leigh Menconi

Carol Ann,

The diabetic diet I went on with my pregnancies wasn't much different than
Atkins and I know from seeing your other posts that you're a low-carber.
You'll probably be able to control the sugar with diet so if you want to
skip the 3hr test and see a nutritionist to make sure you understand how it
differs from Atkins, that would be an option your doctor might go for. (I
only used insulin in my 2nd pregnancy with the twins because I was too tired
to do all the meal prep and just wanted to be able to sit down to a bowl of
cereal every once in awhile!) You can't completely eliminate carbs because
you'll produce ketones and those can be harmful for the baby. Just pair
carbs with proteins to help keep the insulin and glucose levels from spiking
and you'll be fine. I lived on eggs, cheese, peanut butter, and meat while
I was pregnant. Be sure to have high-fiber carbs, though, because all that
protein can be a little constipating.

I have a theory that people who do well on Atkins and other low-carb diets
are already somewhat insulin resistant to begin with and that women who are
insulin resistant are the ones who tend to be diagnosed with GD. From the
people I've known who've had GD, at least, that's been the case. (insulin
resistance is highly correlated to PCOS so PCOS would also be a risk factor
for GD).

Not controlling your blood sugar can have far worse implications that just
having your a big baby or have the baby require sugar water at birth to
prevent low blood sugar. It can affect the health of your placenta and the
lung development. Women with undiagnosed gestational diabetes have a much
higher rate of stillborn birth, my cousin had that happen in her first
pregnancy.

Leigh in raLeigh

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
ink.net...
: If you're not processing sugar very well then you are at higher risk of
: developing gestational diabetes, where you have an elevated blood sugar
: level. It's usually a temporary thing that cures itself after pregnancy
but
: the net effect while pregnant can be to cause the baby to grow larger

and
: faster than it should (due to excess nutrients being available). There

are
: various complications shortly after birth, one of which is that if

you've
: got a high insulin level (due to your metabolism producing it but not
using
: it to handle the glucose), your baby can be born with a similar elevated
: insulin level and effectively have a crash similar to a diabetic who

lets
: his blood suger level drop too low because a baby only has a limited

food
: supply on its own. One purpose of the test is to be aware that this

might
: happen so it can be checked at birth.
:
: FWIW my wife failed the 1 hour but passed the 3 hour test so chances are
: you'll have no problems.

I wonder if it's possible to call my OB and discuss canceling the 3 Hour
Test. At 156, I just don't see what the risk is. Couldn't they watch my
weight somehow? Aren't there alternatives?

~Carol Ann

Old January 17th 04, 10:52 PM
Karen

My point is that the 1 hour test is usually fasting as well, which to me
seems to set you up for failure. It's totally abnormal to have that much
glucose in your system, and even moreso to have it in there without any
other food to interact with or without any exercise to keep your
metabolism working. I was given different instructions which
corresponded with some research I done on my own, and it seems to me the
procedure I followed provides a situation which is more normal, rather
than setting up a totally artificial then expecting the body to cope.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just tend to see things a little
differently, as does my OB/midwife practice, which is why I go to them.

-Karen, mom to Henry 3 1/2 and someone due 4/24/04-

Old January 17th 04, 11:39 PM
Elizabeth H Bonesteel

In article k.net,
Karen wrote:
My point is that the 1 hour test is usually fasting as well, which to me
seems to set you up for failure.

Hm...my midwife told me explicitly to eat breakfast and lunch as usual (I'm
having it done mid-day).

I asked for the test, actually (I'll be 23-1/2 weeks), since I've always
been on the hypoglycemic side, and I've noticed it getting worse since
I got pregnant. I'd read that hypoglycemia can be a warning sign for GD.
I guess I'd rather know, so I can do something about it if necessary.

Since my DH is type 2 diabetic, it won't be much of a hardship to change my
diet - he eats better than I do already! ;-)

Liz
EDD 5/22/04
--

"No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. Man's reason and
spirit have often solved the seemingly unsolvable - and we believe they
Old January 17th 04, 11:46 PM
Carol Ann

: Carol Ann,
:
[...]

Thanks, Leigh!

I'm convinced! I'll take the 3 hour test AND I'll stop with the darned
sugar I'm consuming. It's daily. Multiple times daily!

I have really lost control of my sugar cravings. I guess it's time to try
and get back to whole, real foods and lay off the processed, starchy, carb
laden, sugary foods....Darn! It WAS fun while it lasted.

I love my fruit, though. I must have my fruit. But the candy I keep eating
is what may be "doing it". Additionally, I consume a cappuccino daily which
is sugar laden and have suddenly began drinking sweet tea (which I NEVER did
in the past). Go figure.

I'm up 25lbs since the beginning of my pregnancy and am at 31 weeks.

~Carol Ann

Old January 17th 04, 11:53 PM
Carol Ann

: My number was 156 (whatever that means). I think normal was 140 so I
: don't
: see WHY I have to take another test.
:
: My doctor's office says it should be below 135, every office has its own
: cutoff. 156 is high, but it could be a lot higher. You should definitely
: go for the 3 hour test. Gestational diabetes is nothing to mess around
with
: or take lightly, although if you have it, it's usually very manageable
with
: diet. And no, watching your weight has nothing at all to do with it.
It's
: the way your body is processing sugar, nothing to do with how much weight
: you are gaining.
:
:
: For those who've had it, what does it entail? Will I be able to drink
the
: stuff and then just come back 3 hours later?
:
: The 3 hour test is the same as the 1 hour test, only they will test your
: blood before you drink the stuff (fasting), then each hour afterwards for
3
: hours. You need to stay at the lab/doctor's office while this test is
done
: for several reasons: you need to be tested at pretty precise hourly
: intervals, you need to not be expending too much energy because that could
: throw off your readings and you may feel lightheaded or nauseated after a
: while. Bring a sandwich with you to eat after the last blood draw.
:
:
: If I do have it (what is it?) what does that mean?
:
: If you have "it", it's gestational diabetes, which is similar to type 2
: diabetes (and if you have it, you're at higher risk for developing type 2
: diabetes in the next 20 years). The hormones in pregnancy effect your
: insulin production and sensitivity and can lead to this pregnancy related
: diabetes. It almost always goes away right after delivery. I had it with
: my son and I do not have it this pregnancy. My 1 hour reading was 148 and
: went for the 3 hour test and it was normal. Most often that's what
happens,
: so don't worry too much, but also, don't take it lightly if you ARE
: diabetic. You need to keep your sugars under control or you are putting
: yourself and your baby at some risk. Babies born to diabetic mothers who
: are not watching themselves tend to be larger, putting them at risk for
: C-section deliveries and problems with their shoulders from having large
: abdomens coming through the birth canal. Also, the baby's sugar might be
: low when he/she is born and the baby might have to be supplemented with
: glucose solution (intravenously).
:
: Not trying to scare you, but you should know that this isn't a test to
mess
: around with.
:
: Good luck,
:
: Jen

Thanks, Jen. I'm worried now. Damn! Does having two paternal grandparents
who had diabetes raise your chances of GD?

I have a feeling it is the over abundant amount of sugars I've been eating.
I want to have a healthy baby.

I hope she is "normal" and that I didn't hurt her eating that damn junk!

~Carol Ann

Old January 17th 04, 11:57 PM
Carol Ann

: My number was 156 (whatever that means). I think normal was 140 so I
don't
: see WHY I have to take another test.
:
:
: Normal is 140 or *below*, so your glucose levels are
: higher than expected. Nevertheless, I wouldn't get all bent
: out of shape. The one hour test is a screening test and
: many (most?) of those who "fail" it pass the three hour test
: (which is much more reliable). Of course, if you ask me,
: unless you're diabetic or near-diabetic normally, *neither*
: of the tests are worth taking ;-) Your levels aren't *that*
: high, so there's a decent shot at passing the three hour
: test.
:
:
: For those who've had it, what does it entail? Will I be able to drink
the
: stuff and then just come back 3 hours later?
:
:
: Nope. They're going to draw your blood every hour.
: You're techincally supposed to sit relatively still in the
: interim, as "too much" exercise will drop your glucose levels
: further.
:
:
: If I do have it (what is it?) what does that mean?
:
:
: It means you have a condition called "gestational
: diabetes" which the medical community has little agreement
: on, even regarding whether it's a real problem or needs
: treatment. About the only thing everyone agrees on is
: that if you are diagnosed with it, your risk for developing
: type 2 diabetes later in life is significantly elevated.
: Beyond that, while it's common to screen for and treat
: in the US, virtually all of the analyses by organizations
: looking at evidence based medicine find that there are only
: weak correlations with "bad outcomes" (generally macrosomia
: or neonatal hypoglycemia) and treatment (with diet or
: insulin) doesn't improve outcomes significantly (treatment
: with insulin makes for somewhat smaller babies, on average,
: but doesn't improve outcomes--e.g., doesn't lower c-section
: rate or the rate of shoulder dystocia, which one might
: associate with macrosomia).
: So, for myself, I don't really even see the sense
: in testing unless there's a possibility that your glucose
: metabolism is suspect normally (because if you're truly diabetic
: or near diabetic there are a whole other set of issues
: involved and that's a more risky situation that you don't
: want to take lightly). Others see it differently. I chose
: not to be tested with any of my pregnancies, despite having
: one macrosomic baby (the second of three).
: The one thing I would strongly advise is that *if*
: the three hour test comes back positive and *if* diet
: doesn't control it adequately (however your caregivers
: define "control"--some are waaaaaaaay more liberal than
: others, which should lead to some suspicion on your part),
: I would think long and hard and do a lot of research
: before going on insulin. There is very little research
: to suggest that it's helpful. In fact, in Enkins et al.'s
: _A Guide to Effective Care in Pregnancy and Childbirth_,
: insulin treatment for GD based on the currently available
: medical evidence is a practice that would be considered
: *unethical* in many other areas of medicine.
: Let me say again, though, that while I agree with
: those who are very sceptical of GD and its treatment,
: pregnancy in a true diabetic is a very different matter.
: Insulin may well be necessary in those cases and a Very
: Good Thing.
:
: Best wishes,
: Ericka

I seriously do NOT want to go onto insulin. I don't have much longer to go
in the pregnancy. I believe 8 - 9 weeks. It may take 2 more weeks to
figure this all out.

So, they will put me on a 6 week diet? I could just start eating the way
they want now. I DID lose 20 lbs in 7 weeks while on a low carb diet. I
wonder if this would be similar?

I'm confused. I'll take the test. But I'm going to really find out all of
my options BEFORE I agree to taking insulin. Heck, I don't even take
Tylenol!

I wonder, though, if this is what may be causing my recent bouts of feeling
"icky" and "sleepy" and nauseous? It comes and goes.

Hmmm.....

~Carol Ann

Old January 18th 04, 12:48 AM
New York Jen

Sure, but the only way they can adhere to the guidelines is to have you be
fasting for the test. Of course it's not normal to have that much glucose
in your system, that's the whole point of the test...to see how your body is
reacting. That's the control they use.

hlink.net...