no epidural!!!!!

Old May 14th 04, 02:36 PM
Welches

Default no epidural!!!!!

Gilbey and Susie wrote in message
my dr and also the nurse at my birthing class both said that it will not
numb me, i will still have my motor skills and i can walk around and will

be
able to push. it only takes away the pain but it doesn't take away any

pain
caused by the head crowning etc..

I didn't find the epidural took away completely the pain of the head
crowning. I didn't have pain relief for #2 and didn't find the head crowning
painful.
(And believe me, the "pain" of the head crowning is lovely because you know
they're nearly out!!)
Debbie

Old May 14th 04, 02:51 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Gilbey and Susie wrote:

i can't get an epidural! they only do nubain and intrathecals for pain
relief. i wanted to be totally numb when this kid pops out but looks like i
can't. anyone have any experience with intrathecals and nubain????

An intrathecal is the same as a spinal, which is very
similar to an epidural in effect. When it works, it does
provide complete anesthesia. (Epidurals, by the way,
only have about an 80 percent rate of providing complete
anesthesia, which is why it's generally a very good idea to
have a backup plan in case you plan for complete anesthesia
doesn't work out for some reason. IIRC, spinals/intracathals
have a somewhat higher rate of effectiveness, but can be
limited in duration.)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 14th 04, 02:58 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Gilbey and Susie wrote:

my dr and also the nurse at my birthing class both said that it will not
numb me, i will still have my motor skills and i can walk around and will be
able to push. it only takes away the pain but it doesn't take away any pain
caused by the head crowning etc..

Hmmm...like "epidural," "intrathecal" is just a delivery
method for drugs. In both cases, it also matters *which* drug
(or combination of drugs) are administered via that method.
It sounds like maybe in your location, they are only administering
analgesics, rather than analgesics plus an anesthetic, via the
intrathecal. This is similar to what is called a "walking
epidural" in the US, where only analgesics (typically narcotics)
are administered via the epidural. However, it surprises me
that you'd be able to walk around. Even with walking epidurals
in the US, the "walking" part tends to be a bit optimistic.
They are falling out of favor in the US because the relief
they offer is not as complete and yet you don't really get
significant mobility either (at least in practice--generally
there's a requirement that a nurse be with you if you're
out of bed, and there aren't always nurses available to do
that).

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 14th 04, 03:30 PM
Nikki

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Gilbey and Susie wrote:

[...]

I took child birth classes at my local hospital but delivered at a
different one. The person teaching the classes had an interthecal and she
said she could walk around with it. She was able to reach down and deliver
her own baby. The doc was there too as she was in the hospital. I can't
remember if she had complete pain relief or not though? She had her first
two naturally so 100% pain relief would probably not have been a priority.
She was very biased towards pain relief which annoyed me to no end during
the classes.

IIRC you must need an anesthesiologist to administer the epidural but not
the interthecal. That is why this particular hospital only offered
interthecal's and not epidurals - there was no anesthesiologist on staff.

The nurses at the larger hospital I delivered at had never even heard of an
interthecal.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)

Old May 14th 04, 05:52 PM
Nikki

Elfanie wrote:

Since an intrathecal is the exact same thing as a Spinal ... I'd be
surprised if your hospital had anyone but an anesthesiologist or nurse
anesthetist administering one.

It is weird that they would do an interthecal and not an epidural then.
Maybe the difference was the medication used? I'm 100% sure they did not
have an anesthesiologist on staff. They only did surgeries (including
c-sections) on scheduled days when one came in from out of town. If you
needed an emergency c-section they flew you out. Maybe a nurse anesthetist
can do interthecals but not surgeries or epidurals??? I'm so interested I'd
call and ask but they have one now :-)

I think interthecal is very misleading as a name then. The child birth
class nurse went on and on about how much better they were then epidurals
etc. Had the word 'spinal' been used I'm sure the reception would not have
been so great :-0.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)

Old May 14th 04, 06:40 PM
Clisby

Nikki wrote:
Gilbey and Susie wrote:

i can't get an epidural! they only do nubain and intrathecals for pain
relief. i wanted to be totally numb when this kid pops out but looks
like i can't. anyone have any experience with intrathecals and
nubain????

I've not had either. I've talked to one person IRL that had the
interathecal and she couldn't say enough good things about it. I had stadol
hours and hours before I delivered #1. He was a very sleepy baby but the
nurses said that was because of the long delivery. Who knows? Anyway, I
thought that stuff was awesome. I could do with some of that every day :-)

Yeah, isn't stadol similar to nubain? I could definitely do with some
nubain when I get a really bad headache.

Clisby

Old May 14th 04, 10:48 PM
Jodi

"Gilbey and Susie" wrote in message
my dr and also the nurse at my birthing class both said that it will not
numb me, i will still have my motor skills and i can walk around and will

be
able to push. it only takes away the pain but it doesn't take away any

pain
caused by the head crowning etc..

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think epidurals "took
away" the crowning pain (not sure what you mean bye the "etc" part). At
least they didn't for the two epidural births that I have witnessed. Sorry
to be the bearer of bad news!

On the other hand, since you seem interested in having a "pain free" labor
and birth, you might want to consider that even epidurals and other
analgesics don't always work (or don't work as well as you would like), and
you may want to have a Plan B for dealing with pain (relaxation methods &
techniques). Just a suggestion, not meant to impose.

--Jodi

Old May 15th 04, 12:43 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Gilbey and Susie wrote:

*my dr and also the nurse at my birthing class both said that it will not
*numb me, i will still have my motor skills and i can walk around and will be
*able to push. it only takes away the pain but it doesn't take away any pain
*caused by the head crowning etc..

Well, if they give you enough of the right anesthetic intrathecally, you
will be numb, that's for sure. Apparently they plan to give you less or
different drugs than would be required for numbness. in that case it makes
even less of a difference - they'd probably do the same thing if they were
going epidurally.

Old May 15th 04, 12:52 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Nikki wrote:

*IIRC you must need an anesthesiologist to administer the epidural but not
*the interthecal. That is why this particular hospital only offered
*interthecal's and not epidurals - there was no anesthesiologist on staff.

That doesn't really make sense. You have to go THROUGH the epidural space
to reach the intrathecal space.
Old May 15th 04, 12:35 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Nikki wrote:

*I think interthecal is very misleading as a name then. The child birth

Well, it's *intra*thecal, not interthecal. It's not misleading - it's
descriptive. The medication used is injected into the intrathecal (as
opposed to the epidural) space in the spinal column.

Your class nurse was either an ignorant git, or a poor educator, or both.
She obviously failed to explain what she was talking about.

child birth classes?? zolw Pregnancy 39 March 11th 04 11:02 PM
Anyone wants to take epidural? Or took it and liked it? ted Pregnancy 33 March 9th 04 03:42 AM
Epidural vs Natural...questions annafine Pregnancy 63 September 21st 03 07:32 PM
Alternatives for labor pain relief?? Epidural Question Jill Pregnancy 18 September 21st 03 06:29 PM
EPIDURAL HORROR: Gruesome cascade to oxytocin, c-sections, forceps and 'generous' episiotomies... Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 August 3rd 03 09:39 PM