Surviving a Growth Spurt

Old June 9th 04, 04:05 AM
Carol Ann

Default Surviving a Growth Spurt

I can do it. I can do it. I can do it.

It's only for a while. She's only a baby once. She's just a helpless child
who wants to eat and feel loved and nurtured.

Breastfeeding is better than Formula.

I can do it. I can do it. I can do it.

Now, back to the bed for more breastfeeding.............

~Carol Ann
Mom to Morgan born 3.24.04
http://tinyurl.com/28zno ---New Pictures Added!

Old June 9th 04, 05:55 AM
Jamie Clark

Yes you can, yes you can, yes you can.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://home.earthlink.net/~jamielee6

Old June 9th 04, 01:26 PM
Jill

Lol Carol Ann, I *know* what you mean!!

I'm not tempted to go to the formula BUT I am BEGGING my husband for the
Medela Pump in Style. We really are pinched for money but this would be such
a good investment and save my sanity. A nurse at my dr's office uses this
and I have watched her use it, and it is so convenient (she pumps at work!
She sits at her desk with the pump going under her bra and pumps both sides
at once and it takes 15 minutes or less). I am begging for this so I CAN get
breast milk pumped easily and let someone give me break-- Rachel is a hungry
little doodle bug and I have been nursing her way more often than every 2
hours! I am not getting sore or anything though, I just can't do anything
else- the house is a wreck.

I found out something else that makes me REALLY want the Pump in Style-- you
know the nipples for the nursette bottles of ready-to-feed formula that
hospitals use (you can see these at www.enfamil.com)- the little 3 and 6
ounce glass bottles that you just take the lid off and screw the nipple on-
the nipples are sterile and ready to use and individually packaged? These
fit on the Medela breastmilk bottles that you pump into. I HAVE to have this
pump before we travel to the inlaws. It has a car adaptor, and cooling packs
so you can store the breatmilk when you pump while out and about- and then
you can use those nipples. How convenient!

I must, I must, I must get this pump. They told me to be careful about
pumping because if I do too much then along with Rachel nursing my supply
can increase and cause me to engorge. I know this phase of her nursing like
this won't last long but I do plan to a-have more kids and b-pump as long as
possible and use the milk in her cereal and sippy cups. She actually seems
to be sensitive to when I consume cow's milk. They also told me not to pump
too much instead of nursing if I do want to keep a good milk supply for as
long as possible, or it would be a lot harder to since baby is better than
the pump.

But I know! Hang in there! Are you working yet? I don't knwo how that could
be done even if you have Morgan with you, if she nurses as often as Rachel
does. You wouldn't have time to actually work, lol!!

Jill

Old June 9th 04, 02:15 PM
Cheryl S.

"Jill" wrote in message
om...
I am begging for this so I CAN get
breast milk pumped easily and let someone give me
break-- Rachel is a hungry little doodle bug and I have
been nursing her way more often than every 2 hours! I
am not getting sore or anything though, I just can't do
anything else- the house is a wreck.

It seems inefficient to me to spend time pumping, and time washing a
pump and bottles, so that someone else can feed the baby while you do
housework. Anyone can do housework. The "someone else" should just do
the housework, while you just nurse the baby, IMO. They could probably
get quite a bit of housework done, if they're energetic about it, just
in the amount of time it would take to do all the pumping and
pumping-related washing. A new mother ought to be sitting or lying
down, as one typically does while nursing, and not tiring herself out
with housework if not absolutely necessary. Pace yourself and conserve
your energy. There is a long haul in front of you IME. YMMV though.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 9 months

Old June 9th 04, 03:28 PM
Nikki

Cheryl S. wrote:
"Jill" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I agree with you in theory. The only bottles my children got when I was
home was the 2 ounce practice bottles and they always nursed right
afterwards anyway so it didn't save me any time at all :-) However, it is
very nerve racking for me to just sit all day, days on end. I just go
crazy. I feel so much better if I can just get up and *do* something. Even
if it is cleaning, I just crave being able to do something physical and have
it be *complete* when I am through. It wouldn't have to be cleaning of
course but I don't like shopping either. I'm not *doing* anything and
nothing is completed at the end of a shopping day, lol. I'm an odd ball and
don't really mind housework though :-) It could have been an exercise
routine or anything. Sometimes that 2-hour spurt of activity was more
revitalizing and offered *way* more mental rejuvenation then sleeping or res
ting would have.

I agree with the long haul ahead. I hate to be a wet blanket but I nearly
drove myself crazy with Hunter waiting for things to be different. Once I
excepted this was it (he was nearly 5 months old then) it was much easier to
cope.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)

Old June 9th 04, 03:55 PM
Ilse Witch

You CAN do it!! {{{Carol Ann}}}

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old June 9th 04, 04:31 PM
Welches

Nikki wrote in message
Cheryl S. wrote:
"Jill" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Well, if you're bored you can come over and do the piles of housework here
while I feed #2?
Debbie

Old June 9th 04, 04:45 PM
Angela Schepers

I've been exclusively pumping with the Avent Isis 4 times a day, 6 hours
apart, and I'm miserable!! The pump itself is great except that it's
manual. I get 3-4 ounces on each breast, each pumping session which is
definately fulfilling Quinn's needs except that my wrists and arms are
killing me! My right forearm is twice as big as my right and hurts like
hell when I have to pump (I think I've pulled some tendons or ligmaments
in there). The Medela PIS is a bit pricey for us, especially right now
but I told DH if I didn't get an electric double pump my arms were going
to fall off and then I'd lose my sanity with him directly in my warpath,
or we'd have to switch to formula which neither of us want. Needless to
say, the PIS is on it's way. The reviews I read on it were great and
though it's pricey it's better than buying another pump that will break
down in a month or having to buy formula.

Have you been able to freeze any milk yet? I think I've got around 70
oz frozen up already. I'm not sure how long I'll be feeding him
breastmilk exclusively so I'm freezing up as much as possible to use
later for when I stop pumping.

Old June 9th 04, 05:21 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Jill wrote:
I am BEGGING my husband for the
Medela Pump in Style. We really are pinched for money but this would be such
a good investment and save my sanity.

Before you get too attached to the prospect of sanity, bear in mind that
not every woman lets down for a pump easily. Caterpillar has never
taken much more than 10 ounces a day by bottle, and it normally takes me
2 hours of pumping at work to get that much. Then I get to go home and
wash pump parts and bottles. (I've got a Purely Yours, which is
equivalent to a Pump In Style, but ~$100 cheaper.)

Better than formula? Yeah. Better than nursing? Heck, no.

It has a car adaptor, and cooling packs
so you can store the breatmilk when you pump while out and about

At the time we took our first long car trip, I was using an Advent Isis.
I figured it would be much easier to pump and bottlefeed than to stop
and nurse every time Caterpillar (then 9 weeks) was hungry. We ended up
with me in the back seat leaned over her carseat nursing as we went down
the road.

I think most people have better pumping experiences that I do, but I
just wanted you to be aware that there's no guarantee that you'd just
hook up to the pump and watch milk flow into the bottles.

Phoebe

Old June 10th 04, 12:43 AM
ModernMiko

Just another point of view....

"Phoebe & Allyson" wrote in message
Jill wrote:
I am BEGGING my husband for the
Medela Pump in Style. We really are pinched for money but this would be

such
a good investment and save my sanity.

Before you get too attached to the prospect of sanity, bear in mind that
not every woman lets down for a pump easily. Caterpillar has never
taken much more than 10 ounces a day by bottle, and it normally takes me
2 hours of pumping at work to get that much. Then I get to go home and
wash pump parts and bottles. (I've got a Purely Yours, which is
equivalent to a Pump In Style, but ~$100 cheaper.)

Better than formula? Yeah. Better than nursing? Heck, no.

Not everyone does but some do. I easily filled 4 ounce bottles in about 5
minutes and 8 ounce bottles in less than 10 minutes. Washing parts was 5-10
minutes except when I boiled to sterilize (adds about 10 minutes). I used a
PIS and loved it. Keep in mind that I pumped exclusively (for 18 months) so
I got into an efficient method with it. Better than formula? Definitely.
Better than nursing? Was for me.

It has a car adaptor, and cooling packs
so you can store the breatmilk when you pump while out and about

At the time we took our first long car trip, I was using an Advent Isis.
I figured it would be much easier to pump and bottlefeed than to stop
and nurse every time Caterpillar (then 9 weeks) was hungry. We ended up
with me in the back seat leaned over her carseat nursing as we went down
the road.

I think most people have better pumping experiences that I do, but I
just wanted you to be aware that there's no guarantee that you'd just
hook up to the pump and watch milk flow into the bottles.

Phoebe

It definitely takes some time to get used to but it was so nice to get to
sleep through a whole night occasionally since hubby could take a shift of f
eeding EBM in a bottle. Maybe you should rent a pump for a month to use at
home to see how it goes?

--
JennL
DS 06/26/98

aka CatnipSlayer @ livin-it-up.net
--
Leader of the Cult of Worshippers of BiPolar Long-Haired Sexy Anime Guys
with Swords

Fetal growth chart ted General 16 June 18th 04 02:58 PM
growth spurt? Leanne Pregnancy 5 May 17th 04 05:58 PM
Growth Questions Denise General 1 September 17th 03 03:42 AM
Growth and Basketball Frisbee® MCNGP General 1 August 30th 03 10:14 AM
Brain Growth, Head Circumference, and Autism Circe General 3 July 17th 03 10:00 PM