Zygosity

Old November 13th 03, 08:04 PM
KimandJuan

Default Zygosity

I am curious.....

Are there any same sex twins that were "bi-chorial" with two separate
placentas and "BI-amniotic" with two separate amniotic sacs, and later DNA
tested later and proved to be identical in this news group. I wonder how
common it is. What has peaked my interest is the Harvard study that I
mentioned earlier has offered to do a DNA test as compensation for
participating. So, it has me thinking about the girls zygosity again.

~Kimberly
Mommy to Alexis Iliana 07/17/99 and
Emma Elidia & Aislyn Gabriela 10/01/02
come see us...
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aislynemma/
Old November 14th 03, 04:42 AM
Kender

My girls each had their own placentas. They also had their own sacks.
Morgan's water broke but Megan's had to be broken. We had their DNA tested
when they were 2.5 years old. They are 99.9% alike in DNA.
--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97

Old November 17th 03, 06:08 PM
multimom4

Um ... at risk of showing my ignorance here ("btw, are your bg twins
identical?") ... is 99.9 "identical"? And if so, is 98.6 identical, too?
And if so, where the heck is the cut-off?

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

Old November 17th 03, 08:11 PM
Kender

Janet,
My twins are both girls . . . Morgan is a girl. I don't know if you were
referring to them as bg twins.

When they do a DNA test they test 6-8 different DNA strands where
differences are common to most individuals. The informational sheet I got
from the lab says:
"Usually there are millions of differences in the DNA 'spelling' of one
person's genes compared to another person's genes. The only exception is in
the case of monozygotic (identical) twins who have the same spelling for all
3 billion letters (with rare exceptions). Even siblings or close relatives
have hundreds of thousands of differences in their DNA code."

It goes on to say if the areas they test match up for at least six or more
sites then the twins are monozygotic with a greater then 99% probability.
Therefore, I think this % is referring to the test accuracy (?). It also
says if they are different for two or markers then the twins are dizygotic
(fraternal).

They tested my girls on 8 DNA markers and all eight were a match so the
probability that they are identical has a greater then 99% probability the
report states.
--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97