overdoing it with aerobic exercise 6 months post c-section?

Old June 13th 04, 05:37 AM
kristine

Default overdoing it with aerobic exercise 6 months post c-section?

It has been almost 6 months since the cesarean birth of my second
baby. At 6 weeks postpartum, I was told that my incision looked great
and my uterus was completely back to normal. I started exercise again
gradually. I felt well enough to go out for walks again at 2-3 months.
(Personally, I'm shocked when I hear of women starting aerobics 3-6
weeks after their c-sections! Maybe there is something wrong with me
or my surgeon wasn't as skilled?) At 5 1/2 months after the cesarean,
I started interval training....jogging very lightly for 100-200 meters
and then walking 100-200 minutes...for a total of 15-25 minutes.

Things were going fine until our beach vacation last weekend. I
worked out with my mother-in-law twice, who is in much better physical
shape than I am. I also did a lot more walking than usually (probably
over 10 miles each day). I must have overdone it. My lower abdomen
has been aching mildly ever since. I also had an usual vag. discharge
at the time, but it has since stopped.

My question is this...Is it possible to cause damage to the incision 6
months after the fact? I thought I would be recovered by now, or else
I would not have resumed such a rigorous exercise program. Has anyone
else had a similiar experience?

Kristine
Old June 13th 04, 04:00 PM
Donna Metler

"kristine" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I still had occasional aching in my abdomen when I went in for my 1 year
checkup for HELLP and my pre-concept screening. According to my peri, its
like any other surgical procedure-if you stretch or strain the scar, it's
going to hurt a little, sometimes even years after the fact. And nerve
regrowth takes a long time-which means that they're erratic on the messages
they send.

Old June 13th 04, 10:14 PM
Sophie

Well at 6 months post-partum from my 1st c-section, I was pregnant again.
However sure, rigorous exercise 6 months after abdominal surgery could cause
discomfort, and even pain IMO.
I say just take it easier and see how you feel.

Sophie
#4 due July 7, 2004

Old June 15th 04, 06:10 AM
kristine

I've been reading comments and listening to a lot of women who've had
cesareans. It just seems to me that they are back to normal so much
more quickly than I am. I've heard of women going to aerobics or yoga
classes 3 weeks after their cesarean. I just can't believe that! If
I did the dishes and picked up some toys, I'd be aching by the end of
the day when I was 3 weeks post partum!

Shouldn't I be pretty much recovered at 6 months? I can see
"listening to my body" and taking it easy at 3 months, even 4 months
after the c/s. But it has been 6 months already.
Old June 15th 04, 06:16 AM
kristine

Oh, I'm so rude. Congrats on your pregnancy and best wishes to you
and your very large family! I'm thinking I might be in the same boat
as you. I'll take the test tomorrow and let you know.

Kristine
Old June 15th 04, 02:22 PM
Sophie

"kristine" wrote in message
om...
I've been reading comments and listening to a lot of women who've had
cesareans. It just seems to me that they are back to normal so much
more quickly than I am. I've heard of women going to aerobics or yoga
classes 3 weeks after their cesarean. I just can't believe that!

Sorry, but I wouldn't believe that either - lol. I did go on walks about
2-3 weeks post-partum, but I was slow and felt bad afterwards so stopped.

If
I did the dishes and picked up some toys, I'd be aching by the end of
the day when I was 3 weeks post partum!

*That* sounds normal to me.

Shouldn't I be pretty much recovered at 6 months? I can see
"listening to my body" and taking it easy at 3 months, even 4 months
after the c/s. But it has been 6 months already.

I got pregnant with #2 (planned) when #1 was 6 months old. I was told healed
is healed. Waiting longer wouldn't have been physically beneficial. But
*really* 6 months isn't that long.

Old June 15th 04, 03:22 PM
Donna Metler

"Sophie" wrote in message

"kristine" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Also, there's a good chance that you're just plain not in as good of
physical shape as you'd like to be now-both because of pregnancy and because
you couldn't do much following the C-section. If you were doing things which
involved the abdominal muscles, it may just be fatigue, amplified by nerves
which haven't recovered completely yet.

Old June 16th 04, 12:52 AM
Leslie

With my first section, I was not recovered at 6 months. Honestly, I did not
feel myself again for about a year. It hurt if the scar was pulled on up until
then.

Leslie

| | Kids should work... Kane General 13 December 10th 03 03:30 AM
PPAC, vaccinations and chiro bouncer Bob (Bob Dubin, Diplomate, American Board of Chiropractic Censorship) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 1 September 6th 03 08:55 PM
Solids; 4 months vs 6? Laurie General 9 August 12th 03 07:02 PM
One SHORT post per day - help make CHIROPRACTIC HISTORY... Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 August 11th 03 08:08 PM
[META] Parenting content and reader expectations Robin General (moderated) 1 July 26th 03 02:57 PM