Mich CS Question

Old April 15th 04, 03:49 PM
Pat

Default Mich CS Question

"P.Fritz" wrote in message
Has the divorce been filed for? That is when the clock will start
ticking WRT child support. The FOC typically will strt trying to collect

immediately. Your friend would be better off to put the money into a bank
account until custody and CS are decided, then make a lump sum payemnt to
make up any arrears.

Thanks for your answers!!! And to answer your question....... NO neither
one of them has filed for a divorce. We KNOW why she hasn't (raking in
$2000 a month!!!) and we think that he's been hanging on to the fact that
there MAY be a chance (very slight) that she may allow him back into their
home. (we think he's pipe dreaming!!)

Going back to the previous point, none of the money he has paid will
count for anything.......since there is no action in front of the court.

Does that mean then that all the "cs" he's paid is not going to be
considered CS?? Will he be responsible for CS starting the day he moved out
of the home?

One other thing, if he rented a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment, he has screwed

himself already. He should seriously consider moving back in and filing
the same day.

Honestly, we felt he made a mistake by moving out but he felt he had no
choice....... she's got him pretty scared because she works for a very large
atty firm! My dh and I are helping him as much as we can, but till he gets
to the angry stage, he won't do the things he needs to do to protect
himself. And her?? Well, she's loving it. She's got the best of both
worlds right now......... all her bills paid........ a 3000+ sq ft
home.....$2000 a month cs free and clear!!

Thanks for all the info!!!
Pat

Old April 15th 04, 08:49 PM
P.Fritz

"Pat" wrote in message
news:df59f$407e929e$d841ab8b$9216@allthenewsgroups .com...
"P.Fritz" wrote in message
Has the divorce been filed for? That is when the clock will start
ticking WRT child support. The FOC typically will strt trying to

collect
immediately. Your friend would be better off to put the money into a

bank
account until custody and CS are decided, then make a lump sum payemnt to
make up any arrears.

Thanks for your answers!!! And to answer your question....... NO neither
one of them has filed for a divorce. We KNOW why she hasn't (raking in
$2000 a month!!!) and we think that he's been hanging on to the fact that
there MAY be a chance (very slight) that she may allow him back into their
home. (we think he's pipe dreaming!!)

He should move back in regardless.......even if he sleeps on a couch in the
basement......it is not a matter of being 'allowed' back in, the house is
half his.

Going back to the previous point, none of the money he has paid will
count for anything.......since there is no action in front of the court.

Does that mean then that all the "cs" he's paid is not going to be
considered CS?? Will he be responsible for CS starting the day he moved

out
of the home?

No, from the date a divorce is filed for and CS asked for......prior to that
there is no action in front of the court.

One other thing, if he rented a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment, he has

screwed
himself already. He should seriously consider moving back in and filing
the same day.

Honestly, we felt he made a mistake by moving out but he felt he had no
choice....... she's got him pretty scared because she works for a very

large
atty firm! My dh and I are helping him as much as we can, but till he

gets
to the angry stage, he won't do the things he needs to do to protect
himself. And her?? Well, she's loving it. She's got the best of both
worlds right now......... all her bills paid........ a 3000+ sq ft
home.....$2000 a month cs free and clear!!

Working for a large law firm means nothing. I would rather have a competent
attorney working solo, than an incompetent one from a large firm.

If you/he are in the metro area, feel free to contact me through regular
email
Your friend should also get two documents from the state. On is the Child
Support Calculator (not sure what the real title is) and the second is the
"Custody Evaluation Model" It is the document that the Fiend of the Court
uses to model the custody investigation, spells out what they are looking
for in terms of answers etc. It is a public document availible through
Lansing (at least it was a couple of years ago) costs about $15 and was well
worth it.

Thanks for all the info!!!
Pat

Old April 16th 04, 04:53 PM
Zimm

I don't think anyone mentioned this but there is a Michigan website
where you can download a cs calculator. I have downloaded it but
haven't really used it. It's in this page somewhe
http://courts.michigan.gov/scao/cour...ns/drindex.htm

Hope this helps.

Zimm

Pat wrote:
Hi!
My dh and I have a friend who is in the beginning stages of a divorce. His
wife works for a very large atty firm and he has moved out of their home and
rents his own place. He asked me to post a couple of questions here .

1. In regards to CS. Wife makes $60,000, he makes approximately $50,000.
They have 4 children. He has been paying $2,000 per month for CS, which is
what the wife said CS will be. Is this true?

2. Will the FOC take into consideration that he has paid this amt of money
for 3-4 months already or will they consider what he's paid, gifts?

3. Neither one has filed but my dh and I are afraid that he is going to get
reamed! Is there any benefit to him filing instead of his wife?

4. He receives an inheritance which was established long before they were
married. Is the wife entitled to any of it??

TIA for your answers!!!
Pat