Mich CS Question

Old April 14th 04, 09:34 PM
P.Fritz

Default Mich CS Question

"Pat" wrote in message
news:9353f$407d99c7$d841a2f1$18694@allthenewsgroup s.com...
Hi!
My dh and I have a friend who is in the beginning stages of a divorce.

His
wife works for a very large atty firm and he has moved out of their home

and
rents his own place. He asked me to post a couple of questions here .

1. In regards to CS. Wife makes $60,000, he makes approximately $50,000.
They have 4 children. He has been paying $2,000 per month for CS, which

is
what the wife said CS will be. Is this true?

With 3 or more kids, they will look for about 43% of his net. His first
mistake was moving out of the house......if he would have stayed put, he
would have positioned himslef much better. As it is, he has established his
STBX as the custodial parent

2. Will the FOC take into consideration that he has paid this amt of

money
for 3-4 months already or will they consider what he's paid, gifts?

Has the divorce been filed for? That is when the clock will start ticking
WRT child support. The FOC typically will strt trying to collect
immediately. Your friend would be better off to put the money into a bank
account until custody and CS are decided, then make a lump sum payemnt to
make up any arrears.

3. Neither one has filed but my dh and I are afraid that he is going to

get
reamed! Is there any benefit to him filing instead of his wife?

YES. He should file and ask for joint/shared custody.......it will be MUCH
better if he is the petitioner,

Going back to the previous point, none of the money he has paid will count
for anything.......since there is no action in fromnt of the court.

4. He receives an inheritance which was established long before they were
married. Is the wife entitled to any of it??

Possibly, any growth in the amount will most likely be considered joint
property.

Your friend should contact a fathers rights group like Father's for Equal
Rights (in Oak Park and I think Traverse City has a chapter), or a local
chapter of the National Congress for Fathers and Children NCFC.....they
will be able to put him in contact with attorneys with a track record of
getting custody for fathers. DO NOT let him wait. The best defense is a
good offense. There is absolutely no reason your friend should not pursue
Joint Custody. (If he gets a 50/50 split, he would get CS from her)

One other thing, if he rented a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment, he has screwed
himself already. He should seriously consider moving back in and filing the
same day.

TIA for your answers!!!
Pat

Old April 15th 04, 01:46 AM
Phil #3

"P.Fritz" wrote in message

"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

Plus, a real feminist-leaning judge may look at the amount he's paid and say
it's obvious that he *can* pay that amount and leave it there.
Above all else, tell him to play hard-ball. Get the payments as low as
possible because he can give as much as he wants but he will always *have*
to give what the court orders, even when it becomes obvious the ex is using
it as tax-free, personal income.
Phil #3

Old April 15th 04, 02:30 PM
frankjones

Goodbye - "husband" "daddy"

Hello - "paycheck" "deadbeat" "How am I in the arrears? ... the FOC
garnishes me... like the dickens..."

Old April 15th 04, 02:30 PM
frankjones

Old April 15th 04, 02:30 PM