question about school report cards for non-custodial parents

Old May 23rd 07, 06:32 PM posted to alt.child-support
whatamess

Default question about school report cards for non-custodial parents

On May 23, 12:32 pm, John Meyer wrote:
whatamess wrote:
I know there is a law which allows a non-custodial parent to have
access to school records, however, we contacted my husband's
daughter's school district and they claim everything must be done in
person. The information we found on a father's right website stated
that this request could be sent by mail, and honestly, we can't even
afford a darn trip, much less to just go to the school and request the
records.

Does anyone here have information on this? The school district is
Grand Prairie, Texas...

Thanks!

Check this out:http://www.palvaradolaw.com/page6.ht...School_Records

In regards to "access" and how it is defined, make it clear: you will
pay for postage and you will pay reasonable costs.

Also, how are those records sent to custodial parents. If it's being
sent to them through the mail, you have as much of a right to the same
courtesy being extended to you.

Thanks John...

Actually, the school stated they had no problem, but that they could
not "verify" who he was unless he went IN PERSON...
I'm going to call again and see what they say...My husband told them
all that this letter states and they still insisted he had to do this
"in person"...But we will check again.

Old May 23rd 07, 07:58 PM posted to alt.child-support
Gini

oups.com...
whatamess wrote:
[...]

==
It is not uncommon for districts to require all parents (CPs & NCPs) to
appear in person
the first time they have records access. It is a matter of confidentiality.
In our district, both parents
have equal access absent a court order prohibiting either party from access.
It is the responsibility
of the CP to provide a copy of the court order.

Old May 23rd 07, 08:38 PM posted to alt.child-support
Bob Whiteside

oups.com...
whatamess wrote:
[...]

Since you apparently live in a different location, ask the CP mother to
contact the school office and give them verification he is the father and
where to send the school information to him.

I think how this gets handled varies based on school districts. My
experience was after getting the process started in elementary school the
request to get school information carried on through middle school and high
school automatically without any involvement on my part.

My children's schools kept pre-addressed envelopes in the classroom where
the teachers placed a copy of everything they sent home daily in the
student's backpacks. They mailed me the envelope once a week.

Old May 24th 07, 03:50 AM posted to alt.child-support
John Meyer[_2_]

Gini wrote:
It is not uncommon for districts to require all parents (CPs & NCPs) to
appear in person
the first time they have records access. It is a matter of confidentiality.
In our district, both parents
have equal access absent a court order prohibiting either party from access.
It is the responsibility
of the CP to provide a copy of the court order.

Well, it's at least equal, you can say that much.
My only question would be if the first time "face to face" is required
before report cards are sent home?
Old May 24th 07, 03:58 AM posted to alt.child-support
Gini

"John Meyer" wrote
Gini wrote:
It is not uncommon for districts to require all parents (CPs & NCPs) to
appear in person
the first time they have records access. It is a matter of
confidentiality.
In our district, both parents
have equal access absent a court order prohibiting either party from
access.
It is the responsibility
of the CP to provide a copy of the court order.

Well, it's at least equal, you can say that much.
My only question would be if the first time "face to face" is required
before report cards are sent home?

==
Probably. Most parents show up at the school to register/enroll their kids.

Old August 7th 07, 06:02 PM posted to alt.child-support

Not working for the school district but using common sense I can see the
school's point. The custodial parents address is ON FILE as the address of
the child. The NCP unless noted in the school record in "unknown" and can
not be just be assumed to be correct by an "unknown" person calling on the
phone. You have to put yourself in their position of today's society of
people stealing other peoples identities.

What I would suggest is calling and asking that if you sent a copy of a
drivers license (with the correct mailing address on the front, along with a
copy a birth certificate, or official school record or something indicating
he is the "legal" and proper father of the child.

I wish my ex-wife took some interest in her children but since we divorced
and I am no longer paying her bills she has chosen to have nothing to do
with the children anymore (even after I lowered the child support trying to
get her cooperation - well in September it goes back up *per court order*
from 195/month to 318/month (on 1100 a month in income) Some people just
will never learn and don't care I applaud those that want to be part of
their children's lives I see to many just walk away and not look back. A
lot of those today are mothers that up and leave.

Robert (custodial parent of 3 children)

oups.com...

Old August 7th 07, 06:03 PM posted to alt.child-support

Another point I could make is find out if the report card is available
on-line most are starting to go that way I know my childrens are now
available on line.

"John Meyer" wrote in message
. ..
Gini wrote:
It is not uncommon for districts to require all parents (CPs & NCPs) to
appear in person
the first time they have records access. It is a matter of
confidentiality.
In our district, both parents
have equal access absent a court order prohibiting either party from
access.
It is the responsibility
of the CP to provide a copy of the court order.

Well, it's at least equal, you can say that much.
My only question would be if the first time "face to face" is required
before report cards are sent home?

question about school report cards for non-custodial parents whatamess Child Support 1 May 23rd 07 05:32 PM
Question for US parents of school age children LadyCynthiaKay General 9 February 9th 05 07:47 PM
Non Custodial Parents? RLC Solutions 0 December 21st 04 12:52 PM
Non-Custodial Parents SUE! Batroc Z. Leaper Child Support 0 December 19th 04 04:54 PM
our school dist. had bad report cards--help! toto General 8 September 7th 03 09:21 PM