Texas parents

Old December 20th 07, 02:04 AM posted to misc.kids
Doan

Default Texas parents

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, toto wrote:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 06:58:46 -0800 (PST), Beliavsky
wrote:

New York state does not allow corporal punishment in schools,
according to the site you gave. Some schools in that state are
suffering from a total breakdown in discipline, according to the
article below. The current discplinary system is not working. Maybe
corporal punishment for serious offenses would improve the school
environment, so that students would fear teachers and not the reverse.

Corporal Punishment would not improve discipline.

Neither is banning CP, which is what most anti-spankers claimed.

Doan

Old December 21st 07, 12:56 AM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

In article
,
Beliavsky wrote:

New York state does not allow corporal punishment in schools,
according to the site you gave. Some schools in that state are
suffering from a total breakdown in discipline, according to the
article below. The current discplinary system is not working. Maybe
corporal punishment for serious offenses would improve the school
environment, so that students would fear teachers and not the reverse.

Maybe -- or maybe not. We used to have corporal punishment of adults here,
using a cat o' nine tails. It hasn't been used for years (nor have we had
capital punishment for forty years) and despite the criminal heritage of many
of our citizens ;-), our crime rates have not increased. From what I've read,
crime in our city (population 4 million) is related to the amount of heroin
coming in and the amount of poverty around.

If the CorPun site is to be believed, corporal punishment of adults in
Australia was in desuetude well before its abolition, which suggests to me
that it had been found not to work very well.

I remember a few canings from when I was in primary and high school (canings
of boys were still permitted in my state until 1986, but caning of girls had
ended some time before that). I did not notice any improvement in the
behaviour of my caned classmates, nor in the rest of us.

From what my Dad has told me, the best-behaved pupils ever were in Soviet
schools in the 1930s. A reign of terror will do that, but it isn't an option
I'd pick.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/
Old December 21st 07, 02:01 AM posted to misc.kids
toto

wrote:

New York state does not allow corporal punishment in schools,
according to the site you gave. Some schools in that state are
suffering from a total breakdown in discipline, according to the
article below. The current discplinary system is not working. Maybe
corporal punishment for serious offenses would improve the school
environment, so that students would fear teachers and not the reverse.

Corporal Punishment would not improve discipline.

Neither is banning CP, which is what most anti-spankers claimed.

No one claimed that.

Banning CP only improves discipline if the school has a good
principal, good staff and a good discipline plan. It helps if the
community is on board with the plan too.

Doan

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits