35w/NST/birth plan apprpoved/OB brings up induction

Old August 3rd 05, 11:39 PM
Emily

Default 35w/NST/birth plan apprpoved/OB brings up induction

Hi folks,

Checking in with my 35w update. I had another NST
today and then a visit with my regular OB, whom I haven't
seen in quite a while.

The baby was pretty sleepy for the NST, but eventually
woke up after a second go with the buzzer, and looks
fine. Only two cx on the tape this time, despite
the fact that I have been feeling plenty for the
past few days.

OB things the baby is head down, but is not 100% sure.
I asked if she thought he'd dropped, since it seems to
me that he has a bit. She said "If this is his head
(lower part) he still has some dropping to do" but allowed
as how he might have dropped some.

She wants me to do one more u/s next week, to check
position, growth, and presumably fluid levels, though
she admitted it was kind of silly to use an u/s to check
growth when I'm measuring right on target.

I brought in my birth plan, which she approved. It seems
they don't do routine episiotomy (yay), and she said she
didn't have an opinion on cord clamping either way, so
was happy to go with waiting until we said okay unless
the baby needed to be whisked away for treatment, or the
cord was so short he couldn't make it to my belly!

When I asked her if she wanted to make a guess for my
pool about when the baby will arrive, she said she had
been thinking about offering me an induction if the baby
hasn't arrived by 9/1 (EDD is 9/5, btw). She didn't
give me any good reasons though: She'll be on call that day,
and away for 2 weeks (or maybe 1, I forget) starting on
my due date. Her only other reason was that we've been
"fussing" all pg long this time because of what happened
with Scheherazade, and it would be nice to have fewer weeks
of worrying rather than more. But, DH and I really aren't
that worried at this point. It seems like with all the
monitoring that I'm having, if something were going wrong,
we'd notice, and could decide to induce then, and there's
really nothing to be gained from inducing just in case.
The OB also said that I'd be a good candidate for an
induction, having had a previous successful vaginal birth
with a short pushing stage, so that if my cervix were the
"least bit favorable", she doesn't think it would be risky.
Even if it doubled my risk of c-section, that's starting
from a small number.

But: I'd really like to experience what labor with
chemical augmentation is like TYVM. I also wonder if
DS's excess lung fluid (necessitating a 2-3 day NICU
stay and *very* stressful for me being separated from him
early on, also led to some FF in the NICU) might not have
been related to the pitocin. Henci Goer writes that there
is some evidence that the IV fluids given with Pitocin
can lead to babies having excess fluid in their lungs.
So, as much as I understand that the OB really cares about
our case (having been our caregiver with Scheherazade) and
wants to be there to deliver our baby, I don't see any
reason to consent to an induction in the absence of actual
signs that the baby is better off out than in.

Emily
--
DS 5/02
Scheherazade, stillborn 20w, 3/04
Old August 4th 05, 12:50 AM
Jamie Clark

"Emily" wrote in message
snip
So, as much as I understand that the OB really cares about
our case (having been our caregiver with Scheherazade) and
wants to be there to deliver our baby, I don't see any
reason to consent to an induction in the absence of actual
signs that the baby is better off out than in.

Emily
--
DS 5/02
Scheherazade, stillborn 20w, 3/04
EDD Labor Day 9/5/05

Emily,
I totally agree with you. I think it's so easy to want to get this baby out
as soon as possible, what with your history, and I don't think anyone would
fault you. But I applaud you for thinking with your head and not just your
heart. You are smart to realize that what happened with Scheherazade had
nothing to do with this pregnancy. It is so difficult to be sane during a
subsequent pregnancy, after experiencing a loss. I am so proud of you for
being so sane!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old August 4th 05, 12:54 AM
Emily

Jamie Clark wrote:
I totally agree with you. I think it's so easy to want to get this baby out
as soon as possible, what with your history, and I don't think anyone would
fault you. But I applaud you for thinking with your head and not just your
heart. You are smart to realize that what happened with Scheherazade had
nothing to do with this pregnancy. It is so difficult to be sane during a
subsequent pregnancy, after experiencing a loss. I am so proud of you for
being so sane!

Thanks, Jamie Neither of us is really worried --- we felt
"out of the woods" when the 17w ultrasound and AFP showed we
weren't on the same path as last time, and now, at 35w, we're
even past any worries about prematurity! It makes me a tiny bit
worried that the OB thinks I might be worried, but I'm just not
going to borrow trouble

Emily

Old August 6th 05, 12:39 AM
Joybelle

"Emily" wrote in message

OB things the baby is head down, but is not 100% sure.
I asked if she thought he'd dropped, since it seems to
me that he has a bit. She said "If this is his head
(lower part) he still has some dropping to do" but allowed
as how he might have dropped some.

She wants me to do one more u/s next week, to check
position, growth, and presumably fluid levels, though
she admitted it was kind of silly to use an u/s to check
growth when I'm measuring right on target.

I'm glad the NST was good. I was supposed to have one this week, but the
doctor forgot to call it in. I'll be having one Monday, so I need to figure
out what to do with the little ones, as I had a plan for yesterday!

Hopefully, your little one is head down. It's great that you're measuring
on target!

I brought in my birth plan, which she approved. It seems
they don't do routine episiotomy (yay), and she said she
didn't have an opinion on cord clamping either way, so
was happy to go with waiting until we said okay unless
the baby needed to be whisked away for treatment, or the
cord was so short he couldn't make it to my belly!

It's good to hear she's so easy-going about the cord clamping! And good
thing they don't do routine episiotomy. It sounds like more and more
doctors are working away from that which is great.

But: I'd really like to experience what labor with
chemical augmentation is like TYVM. I also wonder if
DS's excess lung fluid (necessitating a 2-3 day NICU
stay and *very* stressful for me being separated from him
early on, also led to some FF in the NICU) might not have
been related to the pitocin. Henci Goer writes that there
is some evidence that the IV fluids given with Pitocin
can lead to babies having excess fluid in their lungs.
So, as much as I understand that the OB really cares about
our case (having been our caregiver with Scheherazade) and
wants to be there to deliver our baby, I don't see any
reason to consent to an induction in the absence of actual
signs that the baby is better off out than in.

I think you are probably right, Emily. Do you think she'll be pretty open
to the idea of waiting longer if needed? You are getting so close!!

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Old August 6th 05, 05:18 AM
Emily

Joybelle wrote:
"Emily" wrote in message
Hopefully, your little one is head down. It's great that you're measuring
on target!

I'm thinking he is now: hiccups are now towards the
bottom, and definitely more kicks up top.

I think you are probably right, Emily. Do you think she'll be pretty open
to the idea of waiting longer if needed? You are getting so close!!

Yes, I think she will be. So far she's only talked
about "offering" or "suggesting", and wasn't able to
give me any good reasons (beyond her desire to be there
for the birth of this little one, which I can sympathize
with a bit!). So, no pressure so far really, and I
felt comfortable saying that under these circumstances
I wouldn't want one. Hopefully, it won't become an issue!

Emily