Mitochondria & Mercury

Old March 20th 08, 06:14 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.kids,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines
Jan Drew

Default Mitochondria & Mercury

Typical. The *gang* (including Douglas Charles and Davey who claim to have
me killfiled) as usual
make this thread trashing me. A definite clue they know I am right, and
*organized medicine is exposed.*

Being indecent as they are.

Keep it up boys, it is very telling.

Now back to what they cannot stand.

Go to Pubmed and type in mitochondria and mercury. You will get links to 299
papers which explain exactly what mercury does to mitochondria.

Read them and weep.

Old March 20th 08, 07:17 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.kids,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines
Jan Drew

Brandon C Stahl/aka/Skeptic blathered

Too bad you wouldn't be able to read and understand a single one of them

Sad that you lie.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

Histo-cytological responses of Dicentrarchus labrax (L.) following mercury
exposure.
Giari L, Simoni E, Manera M, Dezfuli BS.
Department of Biology and Evolution, University of Ferrara, Via Borsari, 46,
44100 Ferrara, Italy.

This work deals with the damaging effects of mercury (Hg concentrations 251,
355, 501mugl(-1)) on the structure and ultrastructure of gills, liver,
intestine and kidney of farmed European sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax L.,
1758) acutely treated for 24 and 48h. The histoarchitecture of the gills of
exposed fish was highly modified due to severe oedema, telangiectasia and
secondary lamellar fusion. In hepatocytes and enterocytes hydropic cell
swelling, alterations to the endoplasmic reticulum and mitochondria were
noted, in addition to an abundance of myelinoid bodies which were frequently
encountered following treatment. In the intestine and renal tubules of
exposed European sea bass, rodlet cells (RCs) displayed ultrastructural
modifications. Statistical analyses were conducted on the number and the
size of selected cell types and structures. Following exposure to mercury
for 24 and 48h, the number of chloride cells, RCs and macrophage aggregates
were found to have increased significantly in the gills, the intestine and
the head kidney.

PMID: 17945343 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

Involvement of glutamate and reactive oxygen species in methylmercury
neurotoxicity.
Aschner M, Syversen T, Souza DO, Rocha JB, Farina M.
Departments of Pediatrics and Pharmacology, Vanderbilt University Medical
Center, B3307 Medical Center North, Nashville, TN 37232, USA.

This review addresses the mechanisms of methylmercury (MeHg)-induced
neurotoxicity, specifically examining the role of oxidative stress in
mediating neuronal damage. A number of critical findings point to a central
role for astrocytes in mediating MeHg-induced neurotoxicity as evidenced by
the following observations: a) MeHg preferentially accumulates in
astrocytes; b) MeHg specifically inhibits glutamate uptake in astrocytes; c)
neuronal dysfunction is secondary to disturbances in astrocytes. The
generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) by MeHg has been observed in
various experimental paradigms. For example, MeHg enhances ROS formation
both in vivo (rodent cerebellum) and in vitro (isolated rat brain
synaptosomes), as well as in neuronal and mixed reaggregating cell cultures.
Antioxidants, including selenocompounds, can rescue astrocytes from
MeHg-induced cytotoxicity by reducing ROS formation. We emphasize that
oxidative stress plays a significant role in mediating MeHg-induced
neurotoxic damage with active involvement of the mitochondria in this
process. Furthermore, we provide a mechanistic overview on oxidative stress
induced by MeHg that is triggered by a series of molecular events such as
activation of various kinases, stress proteins and other immediate early
genes culminating in cell damage.

PMID: 17334523 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

Brain Res. 2007 Feb 2;1131(1):1-10. Epub 2006 Dec 19

Old March 20th 08, 11:14 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.kids,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines
Mark Probert

On Mar 19, 11:13*pm, Kulacz wrote:

Typical insult.
Boring!!!

Insult number 2
Deiter: It is time on Sprochets when we dance

I notice that you seem to be, shall we say, *selective*, in whom you
criticize for insults?

Old March 20th 08, 02:30 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.kids,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines
Kulacz

On Mar 20, 7:14*am, Mark Probert wrote:
On Mar 19, 11:13*pm, Kulacz wrote:

Typical insult.
Boring!!!

Insult number 2
Deiter: It is time on Sprochets when we dance

I notice that you seem to be, shall we say, *selective*, in whom you
criticize for insults?

Selective?
IMO I have noticed that posts that may be categorized as insults by
some members of this group are often provoked by previous actions or
posts.
I am sure that you will find and post exceptions. Most will
understand my point.
Old March 20th 08, 03:25 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.kids,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines
Bee

On Mar 20, 12:17*am, "Jan Drew" wrote:

Agent "D"--thought you'd enjoy this as an "interesting read" on
Mercury.

http://heartspring.net/mercury_poison_symptoms.html
Old March 20th 08, 03:40 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.kids,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines
Kulacz

On Mar 20, 11:25*am, Bee wrote:
On Mar 20, 12:17*am, "Jan Drew" wrote:

Agent "D"--thought you'd enjoy this as an "interesting read" on
Mercury.

http://heartspring.net/mercury_poison_symptoms.html

Thanks. VERY informative.
Old March 20th 08, 04:23 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.kids,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines
[email protected]

On Mar 20, 11:25*am, Bee wrote:
On Mar 20, 12:17*am, "Jan Drew" wrote:

Agent "D"--thought you'd enjoy this as an "interesting read" on
Mercury.

http://heartspring.net/mercury_poison_symptoms.html

Nice article Bee.

The article states:
Organic compounds of mercury such as methylmercury are considered the
most toxic forms of the element. Exposures to very small amounts of
these compounds can result in devastating neurological damage and
death.

For fetuses, infants and children, the primary health effects of
mercury are on neurological development. Even low levels of mercury
exposure such as result from mother's consumption methylmercury in
dietary sources can adversely affect the brain and nervous system.
Impacts on memory, attention, language and other skills have been
found in children exposed to moderate levels in the womb.

Two questions about this. The level of methylmercury in fish is very
low. How much is absorbed from the gut? The absorbed amount must be
no more than 3 to 5% I would think. Anyone got the absorption data?

Secondly, just how much more toxic is ethylmercury from thimerosal
since it is more toxic than methyl mercury and 100% of it is absorbed
due to being injected.

DrCee
You cannot secure nor restore health with pus or poisons.
Old March 20th 08, 04:33 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.kids,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines
The One True Zhen Jue

On Mar 20, 12:23*pm, wrote:
On Mar 20, 11:25*am, Bee wrote:

[...]

So, you're saying that injecting something translates into 100%
absorption.
You're even dumber than we gave you credit for being and we extended
you more credit than the prime-plus housing market.

Old March 20th 08, 04:35 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.kids,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines
Herman Rubin

In article ,
wrote:
On Mar 19, 7:03=A0pm, "Jan Drew" wrote:
Go to Pubmed and type in mitochondria and mercury. You will get links to 2=

99
papers which explain exactly what mercury does to mitochondria.

I went to Pubmed and found 299 articles on mitochondria and mercury.

All the articles were discussing inorganic mercury or methylmercury.

The various creatures studied were rats, Javan mongoose, dicentrarchus
labrax, the frog Rana Kl escolenta, porcine kidney and liver, zebra
fish, etc.

Since thimerosal has ethylmercury and no studies were done on human
tissue, am I correct in concluding that there is no valid scientific
data to implicate the mercury in thimerosal to human disease whether
inhaled, ingested, or injected?

I have not read the articles, but it would be prima facie
reason to question, but not to conclude.
Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558
Old March 20th 08, 04:41 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.kids,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines
Herman Rubin

In article ,
Peter Bowditch wrote:
"Skeptic" wrote:

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
y.net...
Go to Pubmed and type in mitochondria and mercury. You will get links to
299 papers which explain exactly what mercury does to mitochondria.

Too bad you wouldn't be able to read and understand a single one of them.

That's obvious from what she said, because if there was even one
paper which "explain[ed] exactly what mercury does to mitochondria"
there would be no need for the other 298.

Mitrochondria from different species are similar, but
not alike. There are different ways of exposure to
mercury or mercury compounds. And studies have to be
replicated in case of error.

All this being said, it may well be unclear as to
EXACTLY what happens.
Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558