Journalist looking for stories about how kids connect to grandparents

Old September 19th 03, 02:35 PM
Tish Davidson

Default Journalist looking for stories about how kids connect to grandparents

I am a journalist with an assignment from a Florida paper to do an
article on helping grandparents and grandchildren connect. The article
is scheduled for November publication. This "connection" can be either
in person through sharing activities and stories during visits or long
distance. Most of my readership has children under age 12. I want to
know how parents can help make that grandparent-grandchild bond special.

I am eager to hear from parents about some of the obstacles to kids
relating to their grandparents and some success stories where good bonds
between grandparents and grandchildren were formed. I will not quote
anyone without permission, and if I do quote you, I will send you a copy
the story if you choose to provide a snail mail address.

You can check out my credentials and the type of stories I write at
http://home.att.net/~davidson/Tish.htm

Any help or ideas will be appreciated, especially those that have a
holiday (Thanksgiving/Christmas, Hannukah/Kwaanza slant.

Thanks,
Tish Davidson
Fremont, CA

Old September 24th 03, 11:05 AM
Pamiamm

Hi Tish,
Recently my own grandma came to visit us, which includes my 12 month
and 26 month babies. They have seen her a few times, but aren't used
to her. She can't hold them due to a bad shoulder. So, I do things
like help them blow her kisses (which feels to her are right from
them, unassisted), & goodnight hugs. This helped them take to her
very quickly (she must be important if we blow her kisses!) She also
lets my daughter get into her stuff (like her purse) which contents
they then discuss. So, they have something special they share.
Overall they have adjusted very quickly to her (when they haven't in
the past.)

Warmly,
Pam
www.aiminghigher.com

Old September 28th 03, 09:28 PM
Kevin Karplus

Tish Davidson wrote
[...]

My mother can't travel much any more, and we live 2000 miles apart, so
our son mainly knows his grandmother through monthly letters. She
sends him a monthly allowance with a short letter (she's a great
letter writer, and the letters are always interesting to him), which
he replies to with a thank-you note. The letters usually contain some
questions that he can answer in his note. He is excited by the
letters each month and is fond of his grandmother, even though he
hasn't seen her in over a year.

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Professor of Computer Engineering, University of California, Santa Cruz

Fighting Over Kids Stepdad1963 General 8 May 5th 04 07:15 PM
WSJ: How to Give Your Child A Longer Life Jean B. General 0 December 9th 03 07:10 PM
Journalist looking for stories about how kids connect to grandparents Tish Davidson General 0 September 19th 03 04:39 AM
DCF CT monitor finds kids *worsen* while in state custody Kane General 8 August 13th 03 07:43 AM
FWD bad judgement or abuse Trunk kids begged to ride Kane General 2 August 5th 03 05:54 PM