Bed rail suggestions?

Old June 15th 06, 04:29 PM posted to misc.kids

Default Bed rail suggestions?

I have a 2 1/2 year old son who has been sleeping on his crib mattress
(well, trying to sleep on his crib mattress) on the floor since he
learned how to crawl out of his crib a month ago. Every morning when I
check on him, he is fast asleep on the floor!! I don't wake him up to
put him back in bed because I know that he'll be waking up soon anyway,
but I feel bad thinking that he might have been there for hours!! He
seems happy enough, but I feel that he would be better staying on the
mattress. Does anyone have any suggestions for brands of bed rails for
use with a crib mattress on the floor? One that we could eventually
transfer to a regular size twin bed in the near future? I'd appreciate
any suggestions!!

Old June 15th 06, 04:46 PM posted to misc.kids

In article om,
"hsstanley" wrote:

I have a 2 1/2 year old son who has been sleeping on his crib mattress
(well, trying to sleep on his crib mattress) on the floor since he
learned how to crawl out of his crib a month ago. Every morning when I
check on him, he is fast asleep on the floor!! I don't wake him up to
put him back in bed because I know that he'll be waking up soon anyway,
but I feel bad thinking that he might have been there for hours!! He
seems happy enough, but I feel that he would be better staying on the
mattress. Does anyone have any suggestions for brands of bed rails for
use with a crib mattress on the floor? One that we could eventually
transfer to a regular size twin bed in the near future? I'd appreciate
any suggestions!!

Why do you think he'd be better off sleeping in the bed? He's big
enough to climb back on to the bed if he wanted to.

At that age, I just put my kids in regular beds (no rails). They
weren't very high off the ground, and the first couple of nights I put
quilts on the floor beside them so if they fell off they'd have a soft
landing. They didn't fall out very often -- but they did sometimes climb
out and sleep on the floor, because they liked to. (One liked to sleep
UNDER a bed.) Are you sure your son isn't climbing out of bed because
he likes sleeping on the floor?

I wouldn't worry about it -- while you and I might be better off on
something less, um, firm than the floor, I suspect most toddlers will do
just fine -- if they want to sleep on a bed, they'll climb back onto it.

Old June 15th 06, 04:51 PM posted to misc.kids

dragonlady wrote:
In article om,
"hsstanley" wrote:

[...]

I guess that' s true....... he does seem fine! I just thought that I
would like some type of safe and sturdy rail for when we do get him a
regular bed, I don't want him to hurt himself falling out of a bed!

Old June 15th 06, 09:39 PM posted to misc.kids

I don't think they make the bedrail we have any more, but you can still
get it at yard sales and on Ebay. It is the Safety 1st Portable Bed
Rail, (not the "secure lock" one, which is newer). I love ours, if you
can get it second hand. The other thing you might try meantime is if
you have a pack'n play, or some type of playpen with a flat mattress,
which is really more of a mat or pad. You could place that next to the
bed on the floor, and if your child rolls off, or even chooses to climb
out of the bed, it is a little better cushioning than the floor or
carpet. At least you will feel better, even if your child doesn't
care. Of course, if your child really wants the floor, he will find
it!

Old June 15th 06, 10:05 PM posted to misc.kids

happy2bmom wrote:
I don't think they make the bedrail we have any more, but you can still
get it at yard sales and on Ebay. It is the Safety 1st Portable Bed
Rail, (not the "secure lock" one, which is newer). I love ours, if you
can get it second hand. The other thing you might try meantime is if
you have a pack'n play, or some type of playpen with a flat mattress,
which is really more of a mat or pad. You could place that next to the
bed on the floor, and if your child rolls off, or even chooses to climb
out of the bed, it is a little better cushioning than the floor or
carpet. At least you will feel better, even if your child doesn't
care. Of course, if your child really wants the floor, he will find
it!

I slept on the floor for years - just spread a comforter on the
(carpeted) floor. Felt great.

Maybe the kid likes a hard surface. Id suggest spreading a sheet or
comforter or pad as someone suggested as a hygienic measaure, and then
letting the kid be.

Old June 15th 06, 10:07 PM posted to misc.kids

"hsstanley" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have a 2 1/2 year old son who has been sleeping on his crib mattress
(well, trying to sleep on his crib mattress) on the floor since he
learned how to crawl out of his crib a month ago. Every morning when I
check on him, he is fast asleep on the floor!! I don't wake him up to
put him back in bed because I know that he'll be waking up soon anyway,
but I feel bad thinking that he might have been there for hours!! He
seems happy enough, but I feel that he would be better staying on the
mattress. Does anyone have any suggestions for brands of bed rails for
use with a crib mattress on the floor? One that we could eventually
transfer to a regular size twin bed in the near future? I'd appreciate
any suggestions!!

The rails we used would meet your needs. They were mesh on metal tube
frames and were very effective with our then quite active sleeper. We got
them at Wal-Mart, so perhaps you might want to check that and similar stores
out.

-Aula

Toddler cries while rinsing hair...suggestions please Kathy General 30 September 12th 05 09:34 PM
Any suggestions (infant death mentioned) Welches Pregnancy 9 March 10th 05 09:51 PM
Name suggestions please A&G&K Pregnancy 29 June 4th 04 03:19 AM
Suggestions? 127.0.0.1 Single Parents 6 February 12th 04 07:22 AM
where to get a bed rail? Pamela Perkins General 1 July 26th 03 06:56 PM