Laws prohibit smoking around children

Old December 1st 06, 01:42 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
Greegor

Default Laws prohibit smoking around children

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...ing-bans_x.htm
Health and Behavior Inside News
Laws prohibit smoking around children
Updated 11/28/2006 7:59 AM ET

Photo: Enlarge By Stephen Morton, AP
James Lord, 65, smokes at Smoker's Cafe in Dublin, Ga., Sept. 5. The
restaurant's owners found a loophole to Georgia's smoking ban and have
prohibited children instead of cigarettes. In some states, smoking is
not allowed around children even in private places.

By Emily Bazar, USA TODAY
Anti-tobacco forces are opening a new front in the war against smoking
by banning it in private places such as homes and cars when children
are present.
Starting Jan. 1, Texas will restrict smoking in foster parents' homes
at all times and in cars when children are present, says Darrell Azar
of the Department of Family and Protective Services.

ON DEADLINE: Do you agree with the law?

Vermont, Washington and other states and counties already prohibit
foster parents from smoking around children in their homes and cars.

Arkansas and Louisiana passed laws this year forbidding anyone from
smoking in cars carrying young children. Courts are ordering smoke-free
environments in custody and visitation disputes.

"We are very rapidly moving to protect children from secondhand smoke,"
says John Banzhaf, executive director of Action on Smoking and Health.
"Even from their own parents and grandparents."

Former surgeon general Richard Carmona said in June that children
exposed to secondhand smoke suffer an increased risk of respiratory
ailments and sudden infant death syndrome.

Most smoking bans apply to workplaces and spots like bars and
restaurants.

Smokers' rights groups liken banning smoking in private to the "Salem
witch hunt," says Gary Nolan, spokesman for The Smoker's Club, Inc. He
says secondhand smoke is not dangerous. "If we don't reverse this,
they'll be telling us what we can eat and what we can feed our
children," Nolan says.

Former smoker Bob Mathis, a Democratic state representative in
Arkansas, sponsored a law that bars smoking in a car carrying a child
young enough to require a car seat. It took effect in July. A violator
can be fined $25 but can get out of it with proof of participation in a
smoking-cessation program. A similar law took effect in Louisiana in
August.

"We have laws on the books in every state of the union against child
abuse," Mathis says. "This is a form of child abuse."

At least six states and some counties prohibit foster parents from
smoking when foster children are present, says Kathleen Dachille,
director of the Legal Resource Center for Tobacco Regulation,
Litigation & Advocacy at the University of Maryland School of Law.
"There are times when it's appropriate to regulate what people can do
in their home," she says. "The state is responsible for that child."

Some courts are ordering parents in custody and visitation disputes not
to smoke around their kids.

Initially, courts considered restrictions when children had ailments
such as asthma that are exacerbated by smoke, says Linda Elrod, a law
professor and editor of Family Law Quarterly. Now, they're more willing
to restrict smoking even when there are no obvious health problems, she
says. It generally comes up when one parent complains about the other's
smoking.

Posted 11/27/2006 11:24 PM ET

Old December 1st 06, 02:01 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
0:->

Greegor wrote:
[...]

Glad to see that you too are concerned about the bad effects of smoking
around children as to their health risks.

Thanks. Kane

Old December 1st 06, 02:19 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
Greegor

Do you smoke, Donald?

Old December 1st 06, 03:03 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
Firemonkey

Default Child hating Greg exposes himself again

Whats your argument? That your right to smoke is more important than
poisoning innocent children with the waste of your addiction?

Are you stupid and arrogant?

Greegor wrote:

Do you smoke, Donald?

Old December 1st 06, 03:03 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
0:->

Greegor wrote:
Do you smoke, Donald?

Let's see what he answers.

Again, thank you for posting this article pointing out the dangers to
children from 2nd hand smoke. We know for instance that the incidence
of SIDS is much higher in families where there are smokers than not.

Adults who smoke are far more likely to have come from families where
parents smoked, so that is a direct correlation to bad health
practices, even if 2nd hand smoke isn't a factor.

Just by example parents are hurting their children.

Same for drinking as well. Ask any Drug and or substance abuse
counselor or researcher.

I'm so glad you posted this.

0:- ]

Old December 1st 06, 03:03 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
Firemonkey

Whats your argument? That your right to smoke is more important than
poisoning innocent children with the waste of your addiction?

Are you stupid and arrogant?

Greegor wrote:

Do you smoke, Donald?

Old December 2nd 06, 08:14 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
Greegor

Kane/Donald smokes but lies about it.

I have never smoked, despite parents who did.

(I tried pot once in 1978 and I inhaled)

Old December 2nd 06, 08:45 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
Dan Sullivan

Greegor wrote:
Kane/Donald smokes but lies about it.

I have never smoked, despite parents who did.

(I tried pot once in 1978 and I inhaled)

Unfortunately you exhaled and continued to breathe, to the detriment of
your girlfiend's daughter.

Old December 3rd 06, 04:50 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
0:->

Greegor wrote:
Kane/Donald smokes but lies about it.

Can't speak for Donald, but I haven't smoked anything since 1976. Nor
have I done illegal drugs, ever.

I have never smoked, despite parents who did.

I didn't claim you did. Speak to the person that addresses you.

As you say below though, you actually did.

(I tried pot once in 1978 and I inhaled)

Don't you think it's time to stop Bogarting
that Joint, and let the smoke out now?

Kane
Old December 3rd 06, 08:05 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
dragonsgirl

"Greegor" wrote in message
ups.com...
Kane/Donald smokes but lies about it.

I have never smoked, despite parents who did.

(I tried pot once in 1978 and I inhaled)

There we have it, folks, our next presidential candidate.
And he can train cats to do tricks too.