From the "You gotta be kidding" Department - Divorce rates drop because of cost

Old January 5th 09, 07:15 AM posted to alt.child-support
Dusty

Default From the "You gotta be kidding" Department - Divorce rates drop because of cost

Put your hip-waders on.. it's deep.

http://www.catholic.org/finance/fina...y.php?id=31218

Hitched to the economy: Divorce rates drop because of cost
By Marty Orgel
12/22/2008

Marke****ch (MCT) - The recession and economic turmoil is creating a new
class of casualties: Married couples who can't afford to get divorced. In
these tough times, many people are finding it's cheaper to stay together,
even when they can't stand each other.

"The reason that the economy has such an enormous impact on divorce is that
most people in the middle-income brackets are getting by on whatever income
they have. They're just getting by," said Bonnie Booden, a family law and
divorce attorney in Phoenix.

A major factor in the divorce downturn, Booden said, is that divorced
couples have to establish two separate households with current funds _ a
prohibitive factor when you're looking at divorce in tough economic times.

Booden said one out of every two clients is seeking consultations because
they can't afford to get divorced. They want to know what other options they
might have.

"I tell them about the process, about the cost, and what a reasonable
outcome might be. And once they hear the cost, and especially how you have
to duplicate two households on the same money that currently funds one
household, they try to think about some other options," she said.

Some clients have split up bedrooms and continue to live in the same house,
she said. Some split child-care duties so they don't have to deal with each
other and live that way until they can figure out what to do. "And I've had
people who just throw in the towel and get divorces anyway, creating
financial ruin for themselves," she said.

Circuit courts across the country report downturns in the number of divorce
and separation filings. Cook County's Circuit Court in Chicago saw a 5
percent decrease in filings _ about 600 cases _ in the first three quarters
of 2008 compared to the same period last year. Similar drops were reported
in other cities across the country.

This domestic situation is also confirmed in a poll by the American Academy
of Matrimonial Lawyers. The AAML surveyed its members _ all divorce lawyers
_ and found that 37 percent of them have seen a decrease in the number of
couples seeking a divorce, while just 19 percent saw an increase in divorce
cases.

Gary Nickelson, president of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers,
said people are just, "toughing it out" and putting off the decision to
divorce until the economy gets better.

"We're in a perfect storm as far as the divorce business is concerned,"
Nickelson said. "It's not a surprise to me. That's been my experience over
the last 35 years. When you have an economic downturn, people are not so
quick to change their situation."

Some people who come to Booden's office have come from marriage counselors,
she said. By the time these couples get to her, she said, they've pretty
much run out of options.

Typically, she said she tries to arrange a deal where both parties continue
to own their house. She'll split up the equity and apply an interest rate to
it to make it reasonable to the person not living in the house, and then
distribute the cash when the house is sold after the kids go to college.

"People have to realize the financial meltdown changed everything," she
said. That sentiment is echoed by the AAML's Nickelson. "As long as stocks
and financials and major assets are down, you're probably going to see a lot
of people wait to file for divorce. There's a lot of fear in filing for
divorce," he said. "I think that cuts across all genders, races, and all
social economic ranges."

Old January 5th 09, 03:24 PM posted to alt.child-support
Kenneth S.[_2_]

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 07:15:19 +0100, "Dusty" wrote:

[...]

Are we supposed to be skeptical about this story? I certainly am not.
To me, the story has the ring of truth.

As I see it, financial incentives play a major role in divorce, and
this is only one more example. Another example is the effect of "child
support," combined with guaranteed custody, on mothers' willingness to
seek divorce. Yet one more example is the way in which women's entry
into the workforce in the last 30 years has made it much easier for
them to expel their husbands from the family -- something that I don't
think anyone disputes.

In my view, recognition of the financial factors in divorce is an
essential preliminary to reversing the divorce epidemic. A parallel
situation is what happened in the U.S. several years ago in regard to
welfare reform. That reform depended crucially on recognizing that
creation of single-parent families had been unintentionally encouraged
by various forms of taxpayer support for such families.
Old January 5th 09, 05:40 PM posted to alt.child-support,alt.politics.economics,alt.politics.usa.constitution
DB[_4_]

"Kenneth S." wrote in message
[...]

Correct, it's Economics 101!

When you empower women to live on their own knowing there's a endless source
of cash that helps pay the bills, what's to stop them from not working on
their marriage?

How many tough times did our parents endure, but mom didn't walk out to
pursue her glamour career?

Old January 5th 09, 06:02 PM posted to alt.child-support,alt.politics.economics,alt.politics.usa.constitution
DB[_4_]

"DB" wrote in

In my view, recognition of the financial factors in divorce is an
essential preliminary to reversing the divorce epidemic. A parallel
situation is what happened in the U.S. several years ago in regard to
welfare reform. That reform depended crucially on recognizing that
creation of single-parent families had been unintentionally encouraged
by various forms of taxpayer support for such families.

Correct, it's Economics 101!

When you empower women to live on their own knowing there's a endless
source of cash that helps pay the bills, what's to stop them from not
working on their marriage?

How many tough times did our parents endure, but mom didn't walk out to
pursue her glamour career?

BTW, this just appeared in a letter to the editor concerning free medical
ca

about 15 years ago I applied for some "assistance" I was working 3 part time
jobs trying to get by and raise my son but it still wasn't enough. I didn't
receive ANY child support, I only brought home about $800.00 a month. I was
told by the social worker to quit all 3 jobs and I would be entitled to
benefits. However my former roommate went down there and she applied. She
had an hispanic last name, worked FULL TIME for the school district,
received almost $2,000 a month in child support (paid directly to her from
her baby's daddy) and I'll be darned if she didn't receive EVERYTHING (food
stamps, medical & cash aid) and they didn't tell her to quit her job and she
got to keep the child support as well!!