allergy question

Old October 6th 03, 07:38 PM
Sara-anne

Default allergy question

I've got a 12 month old daughter with several food allergies. Milk
and egg for sure, and she has also tested positive for peanuts, wheat,
walnuts, and cats. She goes to a regular daycare MWF, and I send her
lunch. They also provide snacks for the other kids, but I just let
them give the fruit part to my daughter and I supply the rest of her
snack. Anyway, last Monday and also today, after lunch, she had
splotches on her chin, resembling hives. Last week I went down there
and saw them, but today they just called and said they were the same
as last week. Both times, she was given some liquid Benedryl and
everything was fine afterward. But the thing is, we can't for the
life of us think what it could be giving her this reaction! They said
they were watching her and she didn't grab anyone else's food, and she
hasn't had anything new recently. She wasn't tested for any
environmental allergies (except cats), but would those manifest
themselves that way? Could it be something she breathed in (it's a
peanut-free classroom)? I don't have any allergies, so this is all
new to me!

Sara
Old October 6th 03, 07:44 PM
Sophie

"Sara-anne" wrote in message
om...
[...]

If it's happened on 2 Mondays - do they give the same fruit snack on
Mondays? Could she be allergic to it?

Old October 6th 03, 09:22 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
(Sara-anne) wrote:

I've got a 12 month old daughter with several food allergies. Milk
and egg for sure, and she has also tested positive for peanuts, wheat,
walnuts, and cats.

I've never seen cats listed as a food allergy before . . . (I know what
you meant -- it just gave me a much needed laugh today.)

[...]

I have heard that some allergic reactions are extremely sensitive --
that is, she could put her hand somewhere where the offending item has
been, and pick up just a little.

But I've never heard of hives just on one spot -- isn't that usually
more systemic?

meh

Old October 6th 03, 09:38 PM
jjmoreta

Sara-anne wrote:
[...]

Also check with the kitchen (or whoever prepares the snack) for any
cross-contamination issues. My husband will get ill if a utensil that
touches one of his allergy triggers touches whatever he eats (or if its
prepared on the same surface). If she just had hives on her chin, I suspect
it was a contact allergy, otherwise the hives would probably be all over.

Get a list of everything she was given (and that was served to the other
children) on those Mondays. Check with her allergist, as she may need to be
retested for those foods. New allergies can surface quickly and
unexpectedly and something that was okay last week may no longer be okay.
Give the daycare a disposable camera so if the hives happen again, they can
document it to show a doctor or have them call you so you can take her in to
see a doctor right away.

I know what you mean with everything being new to you. I have a mild
sensitivity to non-dairy and caramel, but that's it. I married a man
deathly allergic to tree nuts and allergic to grapefruit, kiwi, dust,
cats/dogs and a few other things. I'm scared to death that I'll have to
deal with food allergies with this baby I'm carrying so I'm taking every
precaution.

- Joanne

Old October 6th 03, 09:53 PM
Ilse Witch

Sara-anne wrote:
I've got a 12 month old daughter with several food allergies. Milk
and egg for sure, and she has also tested positive for peanuts, wheat,
walnuts, and cats.

Could it be that one of the other kids has cats at home? Cat hairs
and skin flakes can stick to the clothing and she might react
to that, especially if the allergy is severe.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (14m)

Old October 6th 03, 10:33 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

Have you gotten on the POFAK (parents of food allergic kids) list?
Information on how to subscribe is on my web site (listed below). The
advice I've seen on this thread is good, but you may want a more focused
support group.

Good luck,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old October 6th 03, 10:52 PM
Sue

What is the fruit that she is getting? It might not be an allergy per se,
especially if it was a citrus based fruit. The citrus could aggravate her
skin.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

om...

Old October 6th 03, 11:24 PM
Sharon

"Sue" wrote in message ...
What is the fruit that she is getting? It might not be an allergy per se,
especially if it was a citrus based fruit. The citrus could aggravate her
skin.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Sara-anne wrote in message
om...
[...]

I would agree with Sue. My DS is allergic to dairy, eggs, and
peanuts, and we have found whenever he eats citrus based foods, as
well as oily or fried foods (salad dressing, french fries, fried
chicken, etc.) he gets red splotches and sometimes hives around his
mouth. He is not allergic to citrus, etc. but he tends to have
sensitive skin.

I have a college friend who doesn't have any food allergies but always
breaks out in red splotches and hives around her mouth when she eats
anything oily or fried, as well as tomato sauce. She just has really
sensitive skin too.

Sharon
Mom to James 6.2.00
EDD #2 5 December
Old October 7th 03, 01:31 AM
Sara-anne

If it's happened on 2 Mondays - do they give the same fruit snack on
Mondays? Could she be allergic to it?

I don't think so. Last week it was after snack (cantaloupe, wheat
free O's, and water), and today it was after lunch (all of which I
supplied).

Sara
Old October 7th 03, 03:17 AM
Tina

dragonlady wrote in message

But I've never heard of hives just on one spot -- isn't that usually
more systemic?

meh

One of my daughters frequently gets hives in a very limited area. I
definitely think this is related to touching the item rather than
eating it, even if it is a food -- she'll get two or three hives on
her cheek after she wipes her face or if she spills something on her
skin. One time last week she had one on her chin and one on a cheek,
but that was it. I don't know what happens internally when she gets
these, but, it does happen like that.

Tina.

nutrition question on year old blacksalt General 12 January 21st 05 07:52 PM
Food allergy ideas? toto General 20 September 13th 03 11:03 PM
OT - Question about Kitchen Appliance GI Trekker General 2 August 16th 03 05:12 PM
Dumb first time mom question :) Donna General 7 July 28th 03 03:29 PM