toe walking

Old April 8th 08, 05:53 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup[_2_]

Default toe walking

DD is 4yo and walks almost exclusively on her toes. I've read that needs to
be evaluated. I mentioned it once to her ped a while back and he said she
didn't have cerebral palsy, but I know there are other concerns besides
that. I am messaging her ped again, since it's been some time since our
last conversation about it, but I'd like more info than what I've read so
far. Anyone point me in the right direction or have more insight?

Old April 8th 08, 11:51 AM posted to misc.kids
Sue

"toypup" wrote in message ...
DD is 4yo and walks almost exclusively on her toes. I've read that needs
to be evaluated. I mentioned it once to her ped a while back and he said
she didn't have cerebral palsy, but I know there are other concerns
besides that. I am messaging her ped again, since it's been some time
since our last conversation about it, but I'd like more info than what
I've read so far. Anyone point me in the right direction or have more
insight?

It could be that her foot muscles have not extended and yes it does need to
be evaluated. DD3, who was 2 at the time was toe walking and because our
pediatrician's husband was an orthopedis, she was hypersensitive in
evaluating kids who toe walked. She determined that DD3 was fine because she
could walk flat feet some of the time. If your daughter never walks flat
footed, then it could be a problem. But, yes have it evaluated. I don't have
any sites for you, but put toe walking in children in google and see what
you come up with.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old April 8th 08, 01:00 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

It can be a neurological soft sign, which can potentially be a symptom of a
lot of things. I'm 35, and still toe-walk when I'm tired due to cerebral
palsy. It could also be orthopedic in nature. However, it can also just be
a 4 yr old would be ballerina, or a child who wants to be taller to be like
an older sibling.

What I've been told is that the two things to look at are if the child CAN
walk flat footed (if they can, it's probably not an orthopedic issue) and
whether the child tends to go to toe walking vs walking more normally when
tired. Usually if it's conscious or semi-conscious on the part of the child,
when they're tired they won't do it as often.

It's worth looking at-but not worth panicking over.

Old April 8th 08, 02:36 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup[_2_]

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
. ..
It can be a neurological soft sign, which can potentially be a symptom of
a lot of things. I'm 35, and still toe-walk when I'm tired due to cerebral
palsy. It could also be orthopedic in nature. However, it can also just
be a 4 yr old would be ballerina, or a child who wants to be taller to be
like an older sibling.

She's in ballet, and those who don't know her think it's so cute that she
walks on her toes in ballet. I tell them that's how she walks all the time.

What I've been told is that the two things to look at are if the child CAN
walk flat footed (if they can, it's probably not an orthopedic issue) and
whether the child tends to go to toe walking vs walking more normally when
tired. Usually if it's conscious or semi-conscious on the part of the
child, when they're tired they won't do it as often.

I'm not sure I've ever seen DD walk flat-footed. The dance teacher tried to
get her to kick with the foot on the ground flat, and she seemed to have a
hard time keeping that foot flat. She just wanted to be on her toes.

Old April 8th 08, 02:53 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

"toypup" wrote in message ...

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
. ..
It can be a neurological soft sign, which can potentially be a symptom of
a lot of things. I'm 35, and still toe-walk when I'm tired due to
cerebral palsy. It could also be orthopedic in nature. However, it can
also just be a 4 yr old would be ballerina, or a child who wants to be
taller to be like an older sibling.

She's in ballet, and those who don't know her think it's so cute that she
walks on her toes in ballet. I tell them that's how she walks all the
time.

My parents got that line, too-and actually, dance was one of the things
which helped my toe walking the most, because it stretched and strengthened
the muscles and tendons.

What I've been told is that the two things to look at are if the child
CAN walk flat footed (if they can, it's probably not an orthopedic issue)
and whether the child tends to go to toe walking vs walking more normally
when tired. Usually if it's conscious or semi-conscious on the part of
the child, when they're tired they won't do it as often.

I'm not sure I've ever seen DD walk flat-footed. The dance teacher tried
to get her to kick with the foot on the ground flat, and she seemed to
have a hard time keeping that foot flat. She just wanted to be on her
toes.

I'd say it's worth getting it assessed, then. Toe walking that's prolonged
over time puts stress on the other joints, too (although mine is magnified
due to the CP), and, as kids get older, it also becomes a reason for
teasing.

Old April 8th 08, 03:24 PM posted to misc.kids
Pologirl

Toypup,

As I guess you know, toe walking can run in families and be
idiopathic, meaning not be a sign of anything else. Sometimes toe
walking is an unconscious accommodation for toe drop, which also can
be idiopathic. If you want a good assessment, then a referral to a
neurologist would be in order.

Pologirl
Old April 8th 08, 06:55 PM posted to misc.kids
toto

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 21:53:50 -0700, "toypup"
wrote:

DD is 4yo and walks almost exclusively on her toes. I've read that needs to
be evaluated. I mentioned it once to her ped a while back and he said she
didn't have cerebral palsy, but I know there are other concerns besides
that. I am messaging her ped again, since it's been some time since our
last conversation about it, but I'd like more info than what I've read so
far. Anyone point me in the right direction or have more insight?

If she is doing it all the time, it can tighten the heel cords, I
think.

http://pediatricadvice.net/2006/09/toe-walking.html

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits

toe walking lulublue2 General 3 September 2nd 06 11:58 AM
Toe walking newmama General 13 March 24th 06 04:46 AM
toe walking and braces S_S General 0 April 28th 05 03:18 PM
Not walking yet anon Kids Health 6 December 9th 03 11:58 AM
Almost 15 month old still not walking... Brandy Kurtz General 20 September 25th 03 01:57 PM