Milk after breastmilk

Old September 11th 06, 02:56 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default Milk after breastmilk

Hello all: I'm a reporter working on a story about how consumers decide
between all the different types of milk available. Will you feed your
baby milk after breastfeeding? If so, what kind? There's dairy milk,
soy milk, almond milk, goat milk... the list seems endless. And what
issues are most important to you: Overall nutrition, amount of fat,
animal rights, etc.

If you think this issue would be of interest to the group feel free to
post your response back. Or if you'd rather contact me directly I'm at

Thanks so much. More on me he
http://www.newhousenews.com/sefton.html

Best, Dru

Old September 11th 06, 04:25 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Melissa

Due to dairy allergies (and nut allergies) we went with soy milk. Otherwise
we would have gone with cow's milk.

Melissa Walton
Mom to Connor born 05/24/05

Old September 11th 06, 04:28 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Caledonia wrote:
Aren't soy and almond actually 'juice'? (Unless there's some mammalian
connection I'm missing here....)

Dru replies:
Yes, you're absolutely correct. Which is part of the confusion! I'm
sure some consumers think they're getting a type of dairy milk in soy
or almond or oat milk. That's part of what I'm looking at, how folks
figure this all out.

Old September 11th 06, 09:52 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Leslie

My kids all drink milk. Since we have no dairy allergies, we drink
cow milk. It's cheap, easily available, nutritious, and we like it.
We occasionally buy rice or soy milk for variety but I would be
concerned about using any of those exclusively.

Leslie

Old September 17th 06, 12:22 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Beth Kevles

Hi --

With #1 we went directly from breastmilk to cow's milk. Within a week
it became clear that the cow's milk disagreed with him, so we moved to
enriched rice milk.

With #2 we went directly to rice milk. We tried cow's milk a while
later, and a couple of years after that figured out that he was allergic
to it. There is now no milk protein at all in his diet.

If I were doing it again, I would stay away from most cow's milk
anyway. There is so much antibiotic in cows, along with a certain
amount of residual pesticide from their feed, that I'd only be
comfortable going with organic milk.

I've also learned, having been forced to live without milk for several
years now, that cow's milk is merely convenient. It's not at all
necessary. We are accustomed to consuming milk in certain contexts
(such as over breakfast cereal), but it's really not necessary. Nor is
it necessary to use a replacement, such as soy or rice milk, as a
dietary staple. Cow's milk is a convenient source of calcium, protein
and fat. But from a nutritional standpoint, you can get these easily
from many other sources.

I've also learned that unrecognized milk protein allergy is possibly
responsible for a number of medical ills that range from stuffy noses
and irritable bowel syndrome to behavioral issues. So I'd probably
avoid cow's milk in the early years and then introduce it carefully,
keeping aware of my child's health and behavior to make sure that my
child is not one of the large-ish minority who cannot handle cow's milk
protein well.

From a cook's viewpoint, there's nothing that truly replaces milk
protein. The protein is what makes whipped cream stiff and allows
cheese to melt properly. So cow's milk is not essential for health, but
it sure makes cooking and eating more fun!

Soy milk is nutritionally sound and provides much of what cow's milk
does. But it definitely tastes different, and some people are allergic
to soy. There's also some evidence that too much unalterned (ie
unfermented) soy isn't good for you.

Rice milk doesn't have the fat and protein, but is good on your cereal
or as a base for chocolate milk.

Nut milks are fine if you like them, but with the incidence of nut
allergy well on the rise, I'd be hesitant to offer them to a child until
nuts are safe to introduce in general (around age 3, when your child can
notify you of allergic symptoms that you might not see from the outside
right away).

My two cents,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old September 18th 06, 04:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Brookben

My baby is sensitive to cow milk, so won't even be an option. Which is
a good thing, in my opinion. Since coming off of milk products due to
nursing, I've found myself to be much more healthy overall and able to
shed pounds that have been stuck since my early 20s. Husband, too.
Knowing how yucky I feel when I do eat dairy (which is rare), for my
baby's health, I would limit cow milk even if there weren't issues.

I'm not convinced that humans *need* another mammal's milk at any stage
of their life.

Old October 2nd 06, 06:49 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
NoDairy4human

Last time I breastfed was 26 years ago, if I knew then what I know now
:-). Just a note which might be of interest to mom's out there - Goats
milk is nearest to Human milk in relation to the constituents.

"the biggest difference between cow and goat milk is the absence or low
quantity of one protein fraction, alpha S-1 casein. Understanding of
this dairy protein not only serves to explain the lower allergy rate to
goat milk"

You might find this website interesting regarding what to feed your
infants:

http://dogtorj.net/id4.html

Old October 2nd 06, 07:22 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Beth Kevles

Hi --

As far as I'm aware, any animal's milk is equally good (or bad) for your
baby. Except human milk, of course, which is actually made for human
infants.

My web site has a link to the Lactation Biology course web site at the
U. of Illinois. The site has an interesting chart comparing the milks
of various different animals.

For what it's worth, the rumor I hear (haven't checked it out) is that
whale milk is the closest to human milk in composition, aside from the
huge amount of milkfat it contains. I like the image of milking whales

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.