Flu/colds

Old March 20th 04, 08:43 PM
iphigenia

Default Flu/colds

Laura and Bella wrote:
What meds, if any, am I limited to seeing that Izabella is still
breastfeeding?
We are all really sick over here and I need something soon!!

You're not really terribly limited at all. Doxylamine (the sedative in
Nyquil) isn't preferred, because it's a fairly powerful CNS depressant. And
pseudoephedrine is drying, so use with caution.

This question has come up hundreds of times here, so perhaps you might want
to Google the archives.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old March 20th 04, 09:15 PM
Laura and Bella

What meds, if any, am I limited to seeing that Izabella is still
breastfeeding?
We are all really sick over here and I need something soon!!

Laura

Old March 20th 04, 09:49 PM
Plissken

"Laura and Bella" wrote in message
. ..
| Thanks, I was thinking about googling it, my brain went dead while I was
| writing about it. I myself have asked it probably about 300 times.
| I Guess I was wondering really if I could take say advil cold and sinus
| stuff and the tyelnol stuff as well.

I wanted to take my DH's Advil Cold & Sinus last night as I could hardly
sleep because of this stupid cold (2nd in 1.5 months, ugh). I had a look on
Hale's website and it stated the following about pseudoephedrine (medicinal
ingredient in Advil C&S)...

http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/discu...es/43/689.html
"As for decongestants, the only one left on the market is pseudoephedrine.
My group is just now publishing preliminary work suggesting that
pseudoephedrine may significantly reduce milk production in some moms (late
gestational). So I recommend caution with pseudoephedrine containing
anti-allergy, cold products. Brief use such as for a day or so, may not be
too bad in some moms, but in late gestational moms ( 6 months) then milk
production might fall."

Being that my daughter (10.5 months) has the same cold and is now refusing
solids because she has the cold and is only breastfeeding I didn't take it
as I don't want to take the chance of my milk production falling.

HTH
Nadene

Old March 20th 04, 10:47 PM
Plissken

"Laura and Bella" wrote in message
. ..
| Thanks Nadine I dont want to either. Bella is 13 months old. And I dont
| want to take something that will slow down the milk production. I am sure
| its slowed down enough as it is.
| Bella is sick too and so is rob and i. Did you find anything to take for
| your cold?

Nope haven't taken anything other than drinking lots of OJ and taking
multivitamins. I know it is safe to take most cough syrups like Benelyn
(sp?). Some of those claim to have a decongestant, however, I took some with
my last cold and it did SFA. I guess I'm just going to tough it out. I may
pick up some Echinacea and see if that help.

Nadene

Old March 21st 04, 12:11 AM
Laura and Bella

Thanks, I was thinking about googling it, my brain went dead while I was
writing about it. I myself have asked it probably about 300 times.
I Guess I was wondering really if I could take say advil cold and sinus
stuff and the tyelnol stuff as well.

Thanks Tristyn.

Laura

Old March 21st 04, 12:21 AM
DeliciousTruffles

Laura and Bella wrote:

What meds, if any, am I limited to seeing that Izabella is still
breastfeeding?
We are all really sick over here and I need something soon!!

Check out this site for a list:

http://www.breastfeeding-basics.com/html/when_moms.htm

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=782084

~ Harriet Martineau

Old March 21st 04, 01:09 AM
Laura and Bella

Old March 21st 04, 04:08 AM
DeliciousTruffles

Laura and Bella wrote:

Hows your little isabella doing?

She's hit a growth spurt! Ouch! :-D

Old March 21st 04, 05:13 AM
Laura and Bella

WOw thanks what a great site!!!
I have this bookmarked I am sure I will refer to it quite alot.
Hows your little isabella doing?

Laura, Mommy to a bigger Izabella than Brigitte's.

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message ...

Old March 21st 04, 10:27 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Laura and Bella wrote:
WOw thanks what a great site!!!
I have this bookmarked I am sure I will refer to it quite alot.

Thanks a lot, Laura, I've your cold now! LOL! :-D

I found a better site:

http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/discu...drugs-1080.pdf