Tri-phasic BBT and negative HPT

Old December 29th 03, 08:12 PM
Ilse Witch

Default Tri-phasic BBT and negative HPT

It was quite a blast (in the negative sense) to learn that a tri-phasic
BBT doesn't imply pregnancy. I've read TCYOF cover to cover, and it
doesn't say anywhere explicitly that this happens or why. I ovulated on
CD17, had a second jump in my BBT on CD26, it lasted for four days well
above (~0.3 degrees) my post-ovulation level. I tested on CD30, it was
negative. The next day BBT dropped to post-ovulation level, and AF showed
up in the evening. The day after that, BBT was back to base level.

Already before this 4 day period I felt very pregnant, and remarkably I
did not have *any* PMS symptoms this cycle. Also, I have never before seen
a tri-phasic pattern, and have very regular cycles of ~28 days, I've never
been more than 2 days late without being pregnant. Of course, it was a
dissapointment, to say the least, but I am pretty much OK now. Does anyone
have a clue about what happened? An implantation error? Early m/c? TIA!

--
-- I
mommy to DS (17m)

Old December 29th 03, 08:46 PM
A&G&K

"Ilse Witch" wrote in message
news
[...]

Ilse,
I've just e-mailed you to say how disappointed I am for you. I really
thought this was going to be your cycle.

I'm not much help with the cycle stuff as I'm only an expert on my own
cycles ..... but it does seem like either the "getting back to normal post
m/c cycle" or there might have been an implantation problem.

I hate not being able to fathom exactly what is happening with me when my
cycle is not normal.

Amanda

Old December 29th 03, 09:13 PM
Honey38ch

I ovulated on
CD17, had a second jump in my BBT on CD26, it lasted for four days well
above (~0.3 degrees) my post-ovulation level. I tested on CD30, it was
negative. The next day BBT dropped to post-ovulation level, and AF showed
up in the evening.

Ilse,
First of all, I am so sorry it didn't take this cycle. I really know how
dismaying this is, and how agonizing the 2ww are especially with added 'signs'.

I had this exact same thing happen two cycles before I actually did become
pregnant. I believe that you had fertilization, but the egg did not implant.
The books say this is quite common, but most women never notice it because they
are not scrutinizing so closely. You didn't say when AF was due - mine was 3
days late that cycle. I guess it takes the body a few days to figure out what
is really going on.

I am sending you all my best wishes. Hang in there. I know how hard this is,
but the good news is that you have no trouble getting pregnant and it is bound
to happen soon. LOTS of PG VIBES!!!
Honey

Old December 29th 03, 11:10 PM
Tatjana Farkin

I've read TCYOF cover to cover, and it
doesn't say anywhere explicitly that this happens or why.

It does happen. And I don't have a clue why!

I've had two triphasic charts so far during the last 3 years. One before
we started actively TTC (and there was no sex around ovulation), and one
a year or so ago - and until October this year, both my tubes were 100%
blocked, so this one can't have been an early m/c or anything either.

--
Tatjana
PCOS - TTC #1 for 2.5 years

Old December 30th 03, 09:10 AM

Ilse
Sorry it didn't work out for you this time. I have just had the same thing
happen to me for the second time in three cycles. I don't know why it
happens, but also think it is to do with the egg being fertilised but not
implanting properly. I also a had m/c so guess it could be linked to that
as well.

Hope next cycle will be the one for you
Ruth

Old December 30th 03, 03:51 PM
SMK

Ilse Witch wrote:

[...]

So sorry about that!
Have you had normal 28 day cycles aftre your m/c? If so you may assume
you are back to your regular pattern and this was probably a failure to
implant. But we know that nature takes care of things its way and there
was probably a reason why that happened.
So good luck in your ttcing!

--
Vidya
mom to Vandu(4)

Old December 30th 03, 04:09 PM
Ilse Witch

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 23:10:52 +0100, Tatjana Farkin wrote:

I've read TCYOF cover to cover, and it
doesn't say anywhere explicitly that this happens or why.

It does happen. And I don't have a clue why!

I've had two triphasic charts so far during the last 3 years. One before
we started actively TTC (and there was no sex around ovulation), and one
a year or so ago - and until October this year, both my tubes were 100%
blocked, so this one can't have been an early m/c or anything either.

Thanks Tatjana! It's good to know that sometimes this just happens, so
next time I see it, I won't get all excited before AF is *way* overdue.
It must have really weird in your case to get a tri-phasic pattern,
knowing it couldn't be due to pregnancy. Ah well, I suppose it could
equally well be a virus or something, but then it was one with excellent
timing, that's for sure.

Old December 30th 03, 04:12 PM
Ilse Witch

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:13:24 +0000, Honey38ch wrote:

I had this exact same thing happen two cycles before I actually did become
pregnant. I believe that you had fertilization, but the egg did not implant.

Thanks Honey, that is what I think happened too. To answer your question,
AF was already 3 days late, which is very uncommon for me.

I am sending you all my best wishes. Hang in there. I know how hard
this is, but the good news is that you have no trouble getting pregnant
and it is bound to happen soon. LOTS of PG VIBES!!!

Thanks a lot! Actually, since the m/c I am a lot less anxious about all
this, and I don't mind all that much that my body is taking a little more
time. We will just keep on trying. At least I didn't spoil my money on the
unused HPTs I have still left...

Old December 30th 03, 04:14 PM
Ilse Witch

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 08:10:24 +0000, j wrote:

Sorry it didn't work out for you this time. I have just had the same thing
happen to me for the second time in three cycles. I don't know why it
happens, but also think it is to do with the egg being fertilised but not
implanting properly. I also a had m/c so guess it could be linked to that
as well.

Thanks j! I sure hope it's no longer connected to the m/c, as far as I can
tell, my body is now fully back to normal. The last bloodwork done by the
midwifes was OK, and this feels like a regular AF, if somewhat heavier
than I am used to. It's a relief to know I'm back to base now, and with a
whole new year around the corner, who knows what will happen..

Old December 30th 03, 04:16 PM
Ilse Witch

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 05:46:33 +1000, A&G&K wrote:

I've just e-mailed you to say how disappointed I am for you. I really
thought this was going to be your cycle.

Thanks Amanda, I really value your support in all this!

I hate not being able to fathom exactly what is happening with me when my
cycle is not normal.

I can usually live without the answers, but I'm just curious about the
fact that everywhere it implies "tri-phasic = pregnancy" and all of a
sudden that turns out not to be true. Ah well, nothing I can change about
it now, at least I will keep down my excitement next time I see this