Quite a Scare

Old April 25th 04, 12:09 AM
Andrea J. Richardson

Default Quite a Scare

I had quite a scare on Thursday. I was at a meeting at work. Some of us
were sitting down, but I was standing as well as some others. I started to
feel dizzy. My vision started to fade and then I blacked out and fell to
the floor. Apparently someone caught me and helped me to the floor. My
boss called an ambulance and I was taken to the emergency room. When the
doctors checked the baby's heartbeat, it took them about 5 minutes before
they were able to find it. Then they were finally able to hear the
heartbeat and the baby is still healthy. That really scared both me and my
husband. Apparently my blood sugar was low. I guess I didn't have enough
to eat that day. I am going to eat quite a bit from now on. I am currently
17 weeks right now. Has anyone else ever passed out while being pregnant?

Andrea
Baby #1 due 09/28/04

Old April 25th 04, 01:31 AM
Karen Ray-Stewart

Yes I have !!!! First time in my life, although it should have been the
second. The first almost passing out incident was before I knew I was
preggers !! I was a cashier at a store and had the same feelings you had,
dizzy, fading vision, and I also felt half sick to my stomach. I sat down
and it went away and I took the rest of the day off, seeing as I had an hour
drive home. I wanted to get home before that feeling came again.

The second time was at my dress fitting, ( I was 2 months pregnant). It
was just all of a sudden. I felt warm, and that was it. I was on the floor.
Fortunatly I went backwards and woke up shortly after I hit my friend's
arms. They put me in a chair, and then said "enough with the dress fitting,
lets go get you and that baby some food." After that I was fine. Never
passed out again the whole pregnancy.

Karen

Old April 25th 04, 01:33 AM
New York Jen

[...]

I didn't ever pass out, but I've felt faint while pregnant. In older
movies, the giveaway that a woman was pregnant was that she would faint,
just like today it's throwing her head in toilet to vomit! Apparently
feeling faint is just as common.

Feel good,

Jen

Old April 25th 04, 01:33 AM
Sophie

[...]

Not while I was pregnant (I'm quick to sit when I feel a faint spell coming
on) but a few days before I got pregnant with my 2nd I did faint. They did
all kinds of tests and decided it was low blood sugar too. I'm now pregnant
with #4 and feel dizzy/faint occasionally. Drinking juice or eating
SweetTarts or Life Savers helps. I've had faint/dizzy spells off and on
since I was a teenager. Who knows.

Sophie
#4 due 7.18.04

Old April 25th 04, 02:24 AM
ModernMiko

[...]

With DS, I had no MS but I did have an incident where I passed out when I
walked into the lobby of work one day. Thankfully, my OB's office was one
floor down so some coworkers took me down. My blood pressure was really low
(something like 89/52). They had me lay down for a while and gave me orange
juice. I felt better after about 15-20 mins and went back to work. IIRC, I
was in my second trimester. I never had another episode during that
pregnancy and none so far with this one although I have gotten mildly dizzy
(but I have another medical condition that makes me dizzy from time to time
so it could be from that). HTH.

--
JennL
DS 06/26/98

Old April 25th 04, 02:47 AM
Naomi Rivkis

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 16:09:36 -0700, "Andrea J. Richardson"
wrote:

I had quite a scare on Thursday. I was at a meeting at work. Some of us
were sitting down, but I was standing as well as some others. I started to
feel dizzy. My vision started to fade and then I blacked out and fell to
the floor. Apparently someone caught me and helped me to the floor. My
boss called an ambulance and I was taken to the emergency room. When the
doctors checked the baby's heartbeat, it took them about 5 minutes before
they were able to find it. Then they were finally able to hear the
heartbeat and the baby is still healthy. That really scared both me and my
husband. Apparently my blood sugar was low. I guess I didn't have enough
to eat that day. I am going to eat quite a bit from now on. I am currently
17 weeks right now. Has anyone else ever passed out while being pregnant?

I did, at about 20 weeks. Same concept -- standing for a while to
listen to something, when I hadn't eaten enough that day. It takes a
while to really internalize the different needs of the body, I think.
I have gymnastics training and apparently I executed a perfect
controlled fall even though I was unconscious before I hit the floor,
so when people told me how I'd positioned the fall I wasn't too
frightened about the baby, but relieved when the EMTs found her
heartbeat anyway.

Said baby is now a thriving two-month-old, none the worse as far as I
can tell.

Andrea
Baby #1 due 09/28/04

Naomi
Mama to Grace, 2/23/04
Old April 25th 04, 02:55 AM
Marie

wrote:
I had quite a scare on Thursday. I was at a meeting at work. Some of us
were sitting down, but I was standing as well as some others. I started to
feel dizzy. My vision started to fade and then I blacked out and fell to
the floor. Apparently someone caught me and helped me to the floor. My
boss called an ambulance and I was taken to the emergency room. When the
doctors checked the baby's heartbeat, it took them about 5 minutes before
they were able to find it. Then they were finally able to hear the
heartbeat and the baby is still healthy. That really scared both me and my
husband. Apparently my blood sugar was low. I guess I didn't have enough
to eat that day. I am going to eat quite a bit from now on. I am currently
17 weeks right now. Has anyone else ever passed out while being pregnant?

I did, and I think it was from not eating or drinking much, and
staying awake over 24 hours. My SIL was having her second child, and I
passed out as the head was crowning. (I had been at her son's birth so
that's not what did it!) I was sooo embarassed. I had been at our
town's annual Soiree the evening before, in the hot and on my feet for
hours so I was extra tired. I was about 3 months pregnant, which has
always been trouble in each of my 3 pregnancies. Everything went black
and I was dizzy, and next thing I knew the OB was in front of me while
I was on the floor, asking if I was ok lol. I felt like **** about it,
my SIL was so concerned and there she was, pushing.
Marie
Old April 25th 04, 03:52 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Andrea J. Richardson wrote:
17 weeks right now. Has anyone else ever passed out while being pregnant?

No but I *have* passed out. It was due to low blood pressure. Very
dangerous situation. You're lucky that it happened when other people
were around to help you. For me, it always happened when no one else
was there, so I would hit things as I fell. (now that I know the cause,
though, I can take care not to trigger it - I get low BP on change in
body position)

Old April 25th 04, 07:09 AM
Amy

I haven't had any problems this time, but last pg I got very dizzy on
standing up, or if I hadn't eaten in a while. Keep something sweet with you
in case it is low blood sugar, I know just sucking on a lolly would make me
feel better with my last pg.

[...]

Had a scare today...another hospital trip Amy Pregnancy 4 March 30th 04 06:27 PM
PE scare Daye Pregnancy 2 December 8th 03 06:16 PM
Spotting-what a scare! SMK Pregnancy 13 October 17th 03 08:36 PM
Bit of a scare Ilse Witch Pregnancy 8 October 14th 03 03:03 PM
I had a bit of a scare last night Taniwha grrrl Pregnancy 3 September 2nd 03 10:53 PM