Those Deadly Tasers again

Old March 17th 05, 06:19 AM

Default Those Deadly Tasers again

http://www.local6.com/news/4287617/detail.html

Polk County Rules Man's Death Not From Taser, But Drugs

POSTED: 3:26 pm EST March 15, 2005

AUBURNDALE, Fla. -- A 32-year-old man who died last year after a
sheriff's deputy subdued him with a Taser stun gun succumbed to a drug
withdrawal, not the electric jolt he received, a medical examiner
concluded.

Jason Yeagley of Auburndale, died from excited delirium, a condition
believed to be triggered by drug abuse. In Yeagley's case, it was
related to his withdrawal from the prescription drug Xanax, said Polk
County associate medical examiner Dr. Vera Volnikh.

The tussle he had with a sheriff's deputy heightened his excited
delirium, Volnikh said. Medical experts believe the condition is
brought on by drug abuse and paranoia, which heightens the heart rate
and can kill a person whose heart might be already weakened.

He was the first person in Polk County to die after being shot with a
Taser.
.........full story at the link above..........

Seems an officer was putting herself at considerable risk trying to
help this doofus, and he fought her. Brilliant, just like some of my
pals here in these ngs are brilliant.

Old March 17th 05, 03:20 PM
bobb

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Wow... what a convoluted storey. Excited delirium? Withdrawal
from the prescription drug Xanax? A cover up, I'm sure. Through in
paranoia, even. A heightened heart rate brought on by 'excitment'
and certainly not the fear or struggle with police, or the he would
be shot or tasered by incompetent female police office. I hope
this case goes to court. If his heart was so bad I wonder if he rode
a wheel chair to his constuction job. I'm surprised no one blamed
Xanax, but he had already been taken off the drug.

bobb

Old March 18th 05, 02:31 PM
bobb

"Doan" wrote in message

Hey! It's SAFE on SIX-YEAR OLDS!!! ;-)

Are you talking about the deadly six year old who endangered the life of a
policeWOMAN, school officials and a security officer?

bobb

Doan

Old March 18th 05, 07:33 PM
Doan

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, bobb wrote:

"Doan" wrote in message

Hey! It's SAFE on SIX-YEAR OLDS!!! ;-)

Are you talking about the deadly six year old who endangered the life of a
policeWOMAN, school officials and a security officer?

bobb

Yup! They should have called in the SWAT team! ;-)

Doan

Old March 18th 05, 09:49 PM
Greegor

If people in law enforcement want to retain any
shred of macho image they had better start
squawking pretty loudly about this sort of stuff.

If they don't, they deserve the public image
of a bunch of wussies that these cases of
tasering the elderly or little kids will get them.

On the other hand, what kind of image will
women in law enforcement get from more
cases like this?

Old March 18th 05, 10:48 PM

Greegor wrote:
If people in law enforcement want to retain any
shred of macho image they had better start
squawking pretty loudly about this sort of stuff.

I doubt the "macho image" is a requisite for police work anymore,
greegor. That's what you get for sitting around rotting your brain with
too much TV.

If they don't, they deserve the public image
of a bunch of wussies that these cases of
tasering the elderly or little kids will get them.

You mean cops have stopped other hand to hand encounters, the use of
batons, restraint holds, and firing their guns at perps who threaten
deadly bodily harm to the cop or others?

I didn't know that. I must be out of touch.

On the other hand, what kind of image will
women in law enforcement get from more
cases like this?

Well, I believe in the case of the six year old that was cutting
himself and threatening to cut others with a shard of glass (he'd
already shown he was willing to injure himself...that equates with
suspicion he might do so to others) I believe it was a women that
either grabbed him to keep him from getting hurt when he fell from the
jolt of the Taser, or the officer that fired..let me look it up. Yep,
the officer that put herself within his reach and grabbed to protect
him from getting more injured was female.

And if you researched the available data on use of Taser you'd know
that the incidence of injury and death is far lower than with the use
of other non-lethal and lethal means of reacting. But then using facts
would spoil your sick little games.

http://www.taser.com/facts/medical_info.htm

Try looking at the independent studies.

This one is simple enough...I hope...for your simple minds:

http://www.taser.com/documents/HECOE...ary_101804.pdf

Notice their point that in deaths where there was drug intoxication
there is a similar death rate in use of ANY RESTRAINT method or device.

I know of a number of shootings by cops that killed the assailant,
before the use of Tazer, that would have likely not even been injured
had the officer had it available. Mentally ill people in many
instances. They often do NOT fair well with other less than lethal
restraint. They tend to struggle to the point of system collapse.

If you read the DOD report above, replace the word Tazer or reference
to it, with "gun" and see how ridiculous it would be. When officers
have to protect lives having something other than a gun is very
important in the death rate of perps. And capsicum spray is useless in
enclosed spaces or if the the suspect is upwind, even for a split
second and the spray is dispersed, and it is NOT all that effective at
stopping those compromised by mental illness or drugs or drink.

The enclosed space and upwind problem is that obviously it might
incapacitate the officers instead of the perps.

http://www.taser.com/documents/Orang...tice_Study.pdf
for more focused field study.

It amazing how much the conversations and claims here resemble that I
used to hear from inmates when I worked in mental health with criminals
in prison.

Here's an intesting debate from both sides, and I see more than enough
BS coming from the anti side, based on NO date, NO logic, just the same
mindless prattle I see in this ng on the subject.

http://www.taser.com/documents/Force...SER_Issues.pdf

Kane

Old March 18th 05, 11:54 PM
Doan

On 18 Mar 2005 wrote:

Try looking at the independent studies.

How many SIX-YEAR OLDS are in these studies???

Doan

Old March 19th 05, 02:40 PM
bobb

"Doan" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, bobb wrote:

"Doan" wrote in message

Hey! It's SAFE on SIX-YEAR OLDS!!! ;-)

Are you talking about the deadly six year old who endangered the life of
policeWOMAN, school officials and a security officer?

bobb

Yup! They should have called in the SWAT team! ;-)

Doan

Surely you mean SWAT..as in the spanking team, don't you?? :-)

bobb

Those Deadly Tasers again [email protected] Spanking 71 May 5th 05 02:15 PM
Chiro silence deadly (Attn: Al Sherry, RN, DC, DABCO) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 January 8th 05 02:38 PM
"Deadly distinction" Mike Kids Health 0 September 13th 04 03:02 PM
Our Deadly Diabetes Deception by Thomas Smith john Kids Health 0 July 20th 04 02:04 PM
DEADLY NAME BRAND VITAMINS Jeff Kids Health 1 October 8th 03 02:07 AM