parenting

Old March 11th 05, 02:51 AM
Louise

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 20:59:08 EST, illecebra
wrote:

I think that if someone starting college isn't already doing all their
own laundry, cooking at least a fair share of meals, and doing a fair
share of cooking, there are serious issues to begin with.

Or maybe different family priorities?

I think teenagers should learn how to do laundry (their own and/or a
share of family laundry, doesn't matter) before they leave home, and
should be able to cook simple meals, but there are lots of different
healthy ways for families to share the load at home while helping
their young people develop life skills.

I also think they should start learning how to manage money, and
should acquire a good estimation of the relative risks and costs of
borrowing money from parents vs. borrowing money on a credit card vs.
going without. I think they should learn how to read a city map, how
to figure out a bus route in a city, how to figure out intercity
bus/train schedules, and how to get to work or school in a rainstorm
in a way that they can be dry during the day. I think they should
learn how to sew on a button, how to take care of themselves when they
start to develop cold symptoms, how to get as much sleep as they need
even if fun things are going on around them, and how to politely ask a
teacher to clarify an assignment.

What else do you think *your* young people should learn how to do
before they leave home?

Louise

Old March 11th 05, 08:13 PM
Carol Hulls

In article ,
Robyn Kozierok wrote:
In article ,
Louise wrote:
On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 19:39:07 EST, (Robyn
Kozierok) wrote:

Most of the schools in Ontario (Canada) had this rule back when I was
in school. I don't know if they still do.

I never heard of it in 1979 when I was applying (W'loo, Toronto,
Queen's, McMaster, Guelph, etc), and it definitely wasn't the case at
the one I attended.

I was a few years later than you, and I am pretty sure that frosh had
to stay in residence at Waterloo, where I ended up. I don't remember
the details of the other universities as well though. I am guessing that
the double-cohort may have caused a lot more flexibility with dorm
space being at a premium.

Waterloo in the 80's didn't require that first year students stay in a
dorm. At the time residence space was at such a premium that not only
was it not required, there was a small chance that you would not be
offered a room at all even if you wanted one. My DH lived quite some
distance off-campus during his first year. The university has since
moved to the model of all are guaranteed an offer of a room, but one
is not required to accept. Some students chose to find off-campus
housing, and others continue to live at home as their parent(s) live
within commuting distance.

The double-cohort (which is when Ontario eliminated grade 13, so two
groups of students graduated at the same time) meant that a lot of new
residence space was built so that the guarantee of an offer for a dorm
for incoming first year students could still hold. Although I seem to
recall some universities did offer incentives to students who chose to
live off-campus to handle the crunch.

An interesting parenting question comes out of the double-cohort. For
the first time a noticeable number of students were arriving on campus
at age 17 (since elementary and high schools use Jan 1 as the cutoff
date). So the universities had to decide whether the students should
be treated as adults. At what point should we as parents no longer
have access to our kids' student records? At what point should we as
parents no longer be going to the school to solve problems for our
kids?

Carol Hulls

Old March 11th 05, 08:15 PM
Scott

wrote:

I think that if someone starting college isn't already doing all their
own laundry, cooking at least a fair share of meals, and doing a fair
share of cooking, there are serious issues to begin with.

Or maybe different family priorities?

Yes. I don't recall helping out around the house
by doing laundry, or cooking. But I certainly knew
how to do it all, just by observing. When I started
doing laundry as a freshman in the dorms, I don't
recall anything horrible happening. Also, I was
baking before I left home, and could follow a
recipe.

[...]

How to change a flat. How to recognize danger, and when
to trust your instincts. How to read a recipe. How to
recognize the signals your body sends when you're starting
to get sick. How to speak up when someone has done them
wrong.

Scott DD 11 and DS 9

Old March 12th 05, 03:24 AM
Kevin Karplus

In article , Louise wrote:
[...]

Right now I think I'll be happy if he learns to brush his teeth, tie
his shoes, pick out his own clothes, and eat at mealtimes---preferably
before middle school.

By college I'll expect him to be able to balance a checkbook, keep
within budget, provide food for himself, ride a bicycle with a load,
figure out bus routes in unfamiliar cities, ask for directions, keep
himself and his clothes clean, ... . I'll also expect him to be able
to differentiate polynomials, solve quadratic equations, copy-edit
text, design and carry out experiments, know the difference between
metonymy and metaphor (and use both effectively in poetry), draw
realistic portraits, be able to portray a variety of characters on
stage, ... .

I know the expectations above sound unrealistic, but he's about
halfway there on most of them (several of them are not ones I would
have chosen for him, but are based on unexpected talents of his). I'm
more worried that he'll never bother to learn to tie his shoes than
that he won't achieve the more intellectual and artistic ambitions.

Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
(Senior member, IEEE) (Board of Directors, ISCB)
Affiliations for identification only.

Old March 12th 05, 07:35 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Louise wrote:

What else do you think *your* young people should learn how to do
before they leave home?

Manage time and money (including checking account and credit cards),
care for their belongings, clean any room of the house, do laundry,
cook meals, wash dishes, hold a part-time job, file a tax return, use a
hammer and screwdriver, assemble cheap furniture, comparison shop,
choose or plan healthful meal options, minor clothing mending (fix
loose buttons or popped seams, etc.).

--Robyn

Old March 14th 05, 03:10 AM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Louise wrote:

You added a lot of good ones.

Take taxis.

Along these same lines, know how to get around safely in the city/town
in which they will be living. Also know when and how much to tip.

Cook an omelet.

That's rather specific I bet a lot of people get through not only
college but their whole lives without that particular skill ;-)

--Robyn