The Worst Restaurant Foods for Kids

Old April 29th 09, 07:24 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
Stephanie[_4_]

Default The Worst Restaurant Foods for Kids

The Master wrote:
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Stephanie wrote:

However, in the real world, where kids already eat the junk food,
what then? Give a chicken nugget eating child some grilled chicken
breast strips, he or she will ask what the white stuff is (the
chicken) and refuse to eat it.

And thene what? Proceed to starve to death on thee spot? Assuming
that you speak to your child anywa, you explain about healthy eating
habits and learning new ways.

You're funny... Reasoning with an 8 year old? ROTFLMAO!

You know what, you don't have the advantage of my whole story. So why don't
I share.

Wen my son was born, I was a smoker who had quit smoking while pregnant. I
resumed smoking nearly the millilsecond my son was done nursing. I was very
large at that point having never had very good eating habits to begin with.
Some years went by. And as they did, I had helped my son adopt some pretty
crappy eating habits of his own. He did not eat "enouogh" so I made
something else. Pickiest eatere you ever saw.

Over time two things dawned on me. I was not healthy. I also, frankly, was
not as attractive as I wanted to be. How can you be with that stinky thing
hanging out of your face?!? Etcetera and so forth. Over quite a bit of time
a journey followed which involved DH and I quitting smoking. We both slimmed
down, me by Weight Watchers and then learning how to exercise with a
personal trainer (whose patience I tested by being such a weenie) and him by
exercising like a maniac and just eating nearly nothing but lean meat, fruit
and veggies. I went from an 18 to a a 6. (I don't know what the weights
are/were since weight has no meaning to me.)

At the same time we looked at our son's diet and concluded it was crap. We
floundered with what to do abouot it. We did not want to make him miserable!
The in-laws would bich that he was not eating 'enough' and would do what I
had... short order cook until DS could not stand thee sight of food, it
caused such a ruckus of oooh and wringing of hands. Thi Was Just Wrong. We
dutifully reported that DS's diet was crap and thata it was our fault and
that we were cogitating. He would smile and patiently remind us that no one
ever starved on brussel sprout island.

Slowly and over time, with a couple of strng shoves at important points, we
lessened the amount of crap food available ton the table. We spoke to him
about our responsibility as parents to help him grow up to be the best him
he could be. Usually did that NOT at meal time ... And then we smiled
understandingly and said No we are sorry, we are not making you mac n cheese
for the 100th time this week. Dinner tonight is meatloaf, mashed potatoes
and peas, carrots and grapes. When you have finished the microscopic amounts
of the things you don't like on your plate, you can have more potatoes.
Would you like to try the peas or the grapes tonight for a new food?

Now among his list of favorite foods:

- beef terryaki
- home made mac n cheese with whole wheat pasta
- baked chicken fingers
- salmon in pretty much any form you give it to him from grilled, loaf,
patties...
- peaches
- bananas
- corn (he does not fight veggies, but he doesnt really love them either)
- home made baked fish sticks
- yougurt smoothies with fruit...
- cheese slices on whole wheat crackers
- bagels with hummous (I bought hummus as some kind of mental collapse
thinking that there was no WAY he would like it. But if he didn't at least I
would. He loved it from the first try.)

Oh I cannot even go on. We have a few cookbooks now that they get to pick
what to cook out of, including "Deceptively Delicious" by Seinfeld's wife.
..I never decieve them, though I do spin. The beets in the cake are to make
it purple. My daughter has chosen to try tuna salad because the recipe is
made inside a pipe crust shaped like a fish even though she does not like
tuna....

And then there are things that they willingly accept though they dont care
about one way or the other. I mix pureed cauliflower into the home made mac
n cheese. It gives it a little extra tang that they like...

And we DO eat crap too, just not as a regular event. We make cookies like
everyone else, thoguh we don't expect dessert every night. When we have
bbq's, we buy a bag of chips. We have treats that are exactly that, treats.
And BOY the extra fun involved in the treat is so ... well.... fun!

So obviously your guffaws of you can't be serious and whatnot are not very
compelling to me.

Old April 29th 09, 08:32 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
The Master

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Stephanie wrote:

You're funny... Reasoning with an 8 year old? ROTFLMAO!

I have one. If you don't treat your child like a moron, it is amazing what
results you get. My five year old can make the right food choices. She is
not a moron. She is not treated like a moron.

Then you just bore the **** out of her? Ever hear "ok, whatever you say
mom"? Is she really making her own mind up, or are you making it up for
her and she goes along with it just to get you to shut up?

I know my children aren't morons. They are much smarter then most people
give them credit for. But they also think they know better then stupid
parents. Boring them to death only hurts your point.

Old April 29th 09, 08:38 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
The Master

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Stephanie wrote:

So you believe that when posting a list of alternative foods for
children, the expectation that the children in question will actually
eat it is unreasonable?

What is unreasonable about chicken?

In it's own right, nothing. But forcing a child to eat it when they don't
want to, will make them associate chicken with punishment. We are
talking about children who are used to Chicken McNuggets, and trying to
make them eat better.
Old April 29th 09, 08:48 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
The Master

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Stephanie wrote:

Slowly and over time, with a couple of strng shoves at important points, we
lessened the amount of crap food available ton the table.

Sounds like a long road, probably made up by small steps along the way...
Can you imagine if instead of step 1 to step 2 to step 3 to step 4, you
went from step 1 to step 96 directly?

This article in question tells you point A, then gives you point B, and
says nothing of steps in the middle. Trying to do that right away will
only HURT your goal, not help it.

Old April 29th 09, 11:52 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
Willow Herself

"The Master" wrote in message
r.org...
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Stephanie wrote:

However, in the real world, where kids already eat the junk food, what
then? Give a chicken nugget eating child some grilled chicken breast
strips, he or she will ask what the white stuff is (the chicken) and
refuse to eat it.

And thene what? Proceed to starve to death on thee spot? Assuming that
you
speak to your child anywa, you explain about healthy eating habits and
learning new ways.

You're funny... Reasoning with an 8 year old? ROTFLMAO!

Oh ****, you mean you are being serious? *shaking head*

There have been studies that show that forcing a child to eat healthy food
only re-enforces the idea that the food isn't good to begin with. Giving
the child the choice of eating good food or not eat, many will pick to not
eat or eat very little. However, what that does is make them associate
healthy food with punishment.

You know "Master"... you're a great exemple of what's wrong with America...

If you can't teach an 8 years old to deal with things he/she isn't happy
about, what kind of teenager/adult will that kid become?

I love it, feed a kid junk food crap because they kid will REFUSE to eat
anything else.. that's so sad it's funny.

It has nothing to do with food, it has to do with actually raising a kid.

Old April 30th 09, 12:23 AM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
Stephanie[_4_]

The Master wrote:
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Stephanie wrote:

So you believe that when posting a list of alternative foods for
children, the expectation that the children in question will
actually eat it is unreasonable?

What is unreasonable about chicken?

In it's own right, nothing. But forcing a child to eat it when they
don't want to, will make them associate chicken with punishment.

Nobody said anything about forcing. I hardly see "forcing" as the oppositie
of not offering crap.

We
are talking about children who are used to Chicken McNuggets, and
trying to make them eat better.

So... youo... what? Give up and decide the chicken mcnuggets are loverly?

Old April 30th 09, 12:35 AM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
Willow Herself

"The Master" wrote in message
r.org...
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Stephanie wrote:

You're funny... Reasoning with an 8 year old? ROTFLMAO!

I have one. If you don't treat your child like a moron, it is amazing
what
results you get. My five year old can make the right food choices. She is
not a moron. She is not treated like a moron.

Then you just bore the **** out of her? Ever hear "ok, whatever you say
mom"? Is she really making her own mind up, or are you making it up for
her and she goes along with it just to get you to shut up?

If you think that healthy food is boring, then you'll never teach your kids
to eat right. I guess you have to grow up before you can raise kids?

I know my children aren't morons. They are much smarter then most people
give them credit for. But they also think they know better then stupid
parents. Boring them to death only hurts your point.

And it's the parent's job to teach them otherwise.

I usually find your posting to be humorous and intelligent, I even agree
with you from time to time. But of all the arguments I've seen from you in
the long long time I've read them.. this is by far the dumbest position you
have ever taken.

Let the kids do what they want, because if not, they won't like it. That's
not even sad parenting, it's no parenting at all..

Old April 30th 09, 03:35 AM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
Stephanie[_4_]

The Master wrote:
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Stephanie wrote:

You're funny... Reasoning with an 8 year old? ROTFLMAO!

I have one. If you don't treat your child like a moron, it is
amazing what results you get. My five year old can make the right
food choices. She is not a moron. She is not treated like a moron.

Then you just bore the **** out of her? Ever hear "ok, whatever you
say mom"? Is she really making her own mind up, or are you making it
up for her and she goes along with it just to get you to shut up?

I know my children aren't morons. They are much smarter then most
people give them credit for. But they also think they know better
then stupid parents. Boring them to death only hurts your point.

Okaaaaaay then. Next converation.

Old April 30th 09, 04:59 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
The Master

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Willow Herself wrote:

You know "Master"... you're a great exemple of what's wrong with America...

If you can't teach an 8 years old to deal with things he/she isn't happy
about, what kind of teenager/adult will that kid become?

I love it, feed a kid junk food crap because they kid will REFUSE to eat
anything else.. that's so sad it's funny.

It has nothing to do with food, it has to do with actually raising a kid.

And that's fine and dandy. But that's not what the article was talking
about Willow and you know it.

You take your family out to eat, and your kid wants unhealthy choice
number 4. You, as a reader of whatever magazine this "list" came from,
gladly suggests healthy alternative 4 instead. What the **** will your
kid do?

I'm not talking about working with them, teaching them to make good
choices over a period of time. I am talking about right then, when your
kid wants the bad choice, as the first time you are going to do something
about it, how would the result go?

As I said, how about a choice they will actually try?
Old April 30th 09, 05:00 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
The Master

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Stephanie wrote:

In it's own right, nothing. But forcing a child to eat it when they
don't want to, will make them associate chicken with punishment.

Nobody said anything about forcing. I hardly see "forcing" as the oppositie
of not offering crap.

And that goes back to this list is the most help BEFORE the kid gets into
the bad habbits. As a way to change behavior, it's grossly lacking.