2 yr old, plane trip, and broken foot-any suggestions?

Old June 24th 07, 10:27 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

Default 2 yr old, plane trip, and broken foot-any suggestions?

We're supposed to fly to DC for a job interview for DH and a family visit
later this week, which, due to scheduling will involve a plane change in
Atlanta. Unfortunately, DH broke a bone in his foot Friday, and is on
crutches. Does anyone have any suggestions on managing the logistics of an
active 2 1/2 yr old, a carseat, and the various carryons, plus an adult on
crutches? Usually we bring the stroller and one adult handles toddler while
the other handles the stroller piled with bags (or, if toddler's in the
stroller, the other carries the carryons that don't fit in the stroller
basket-but that's with 2 able bodied adults) I have NO clue how we're going
to get into the airport in the first place, either, since that usually takes
every hand we have available.

Old June 24th 07, 10:53 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Donna Metler wrote:
We're supposed to fly to DC for a job interview for DH and a family visit
later this week, which, due to scheduling will involve a plane change in
Atlanta. Unfortunately, DH broke a bone in his foot Friday, and is on
crutches. Does anyone have any suggestions on managing the logistics of an
active 2 1/2 yr old, a carseat, and the various carryons, plus an adult on
crutches? Usually we bring the stroller and one adult handles toddler while
the other handles the stroller piled with bags (or, if toddler's in the
stroller, the other carries the carryons that don't fit in the stroller
basket-but that's with 2 able bodied adults) I have NO clue how we're going
to get into the airport in the first place, either, since that usually takes
every hand we have available.

Once you're at the airport, the airport should carts (like golf carts)
with drivers that will whisk you around the airports. That takes care of
you in the airports.

Get a family member or friend or limo to get you to the airport. It will
be worth it.

Jeff
Old June 24th 07, 11:01 PM posted to misc.kids
NL

Jeff schrieb:

Once you're at the airport, the airport should carts (like golf carts)
with drivers that will whisk you around the airports. That takes care of
you in the airports.

I second this, you may want to call your airline/airport ahead of time
to ask about getting picked up somewhere, or generally how it all works.

Get a family member or friend or limo to get you to the airport. It will
be worth it.

Yes. Get a taxi or someone to give you a lift. Possibly that person
would be able to help you get to the check in, too?

cu
nicole
Old June 24th 07, 11:11 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

NL wrote:
Jeff schrieb:

Once you're at the airport, the airport should carts (like golf carts)
with drivers that will whisk you around the airports. That takes care
of you in the airports.

I second this, you may want to call your airline/airport ahead of time
to ask about getting picked up somewhere, or generally how it all works.

Get a family member or friend or limo to get you to the airport. It
will be worth it.

Yes. Get a taxi or someone to give you a lift. Possibly that person
would be able to help you get to the check in, too?

Actually, with the security, probably the best they can do is get you to
the airport and drop you off. The security people (airport police) will
force the person at the wheel to pull out. However, you might either
bring an extra person to help you get to security or the person behind
the wheel part and come back to help.

However, at many airports, checkin is curbside.

In addition, if you call the airline, they might be able to arrange for
an extra person get a pass and help all the way to the gate. You can
also get a pass at the destination airport for a person to meet you at
the gate.

I've already received a pass from the airline to help my father all the
way to the gate.

Either way, the airline will send a golf cart thing to help with moving
around the airport.

Jeff

Jeff

cu
nicole

Old June 24th 07, 11:31 PM posted to misc.kids
Clisby

Donna Metler wrote:
We're supposed to fly to DC for a job interview for DH and a family visit
later this week, which, due to scheduling will involve a plane change in
Atlanta. Unfortunately, DH broke a bone in his foot Friday, and is on
crutches. Does anyone have any suggestions on managing the logistics of an
active 2 1/2 yr old, a carseat, and the various carryons, plus an adult on
crutches? Usually we bring the stroller and one adult handles toddler while
the other handles the stroller piled with bags (or, if toddler's in the
stroller, the other carries the carryons that don't fit in the stroller
basket-but that's with 2 able bodied adults) I have NO clue how we're going
to get into the airport in the first place, either, since that usually takes
every hand we have available.

Why the stroller? I've never traveled with a spouse with a broken
foot, but I have traveled alone with a 2.5-year-old. Checked baggage
was checked in at the curb. I put any (minimal) carryon items in the
backpack I carry everywhere (I don't use a purse). I held the carseat
in one hand and my daughter's hand in the other. If my husband had
been with us, on crutches, either he would have taken care of himself or
we'd have gotten a wheelchair and let him hold my daughter. (My kids
didn't use a stroller at that age, but even if they had, they'd have had
to do without it on a plane trip. I'd have checked the stroller.)

Clisby
Old June 25th 07, 01:48 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 16:27:41 -0500, Donna Metler wrote:

We're supposed to fly to DC for a job interview for DH and a family visit
later this week, which, due to scheduling will involve a plane change in
Atlanta. Unfortunately, DH broke a bone in his foot Friday, and is on
crutches. Does anyone have any suggestions on managing the logistics of an
active 2 1/2 yr old, a carseat, and the various carryons, plus an adult on
crutches? Usually we bring the stroller and one adult handles toddler while
the other handles the stroller piled with bags (or, if toddler's in the
stroller, the other carries the carryons that don't fit in the stroller
basket-but that's with 2 able bodied adults) I have NO clue how we're going
to get into the airport in the first place, either, since that usually takes
every hand we have available.

I would use the airport porter, if one is available.
Old June 25th 07, 05:14 AM posted to misc.kids
Chris

On Jun 24, 5:27?pm, "Donna Metler" wrote:
We're supposed to fly to DC for a job interview for DH and a family visit
later this week, which, due to scheduling will involve a plane change in
Atlanta. Unfortunately, DH broke a bone in his foot Friday, and is on
crutches. Does anyone have any suggestions on managing the logistics of an
active 2 1/2 yr old, a carseat, and the various carryons, plus an adult on
crutches? Usually we bring the stroller and one adult handles toddler while
the other handles the stroller piled with bags (or, if toddler's in the
stroller, the other carries the carryons that don't fit in the stroller
basket-but that's with 2 able bodied adults) I have NO clue how we're going
to get into the airport in the first place, either, since that usually takes
every hand we have available.

Sounds like you got some good advice. We, too, used a double stroller
the last time we flew for all of the luggage, carryons, car seats,
etc. It was pretty quick just to move that way initially since the
other parent held the children's hands, but we didn't have a broken
foot to contend with, and we actually needed that stroller for our
trip, which is why we took it. The airlines allowed us to bring that
and the carseat on board; they just took the stroller and stashed it
away up front for us and handed it back to us. The Atlanta airport is
gigantic, as I discovered the last time I flew in there and didn't
ride the people mover within. lol. I would definitely call them and
see what assistance they can offer to have waiting for you. Maybe even
your airlines would arrange the accommodations to help you out from
plane/gait to plane/gait. Having that stroller handed right back to us
since we were carrying the carseat when getting on and off of the
plane was a help since we just put it in the back/second seat and then
proceeded to baggage claim.

Old June 25th 07, 05:34 AM posted to misc.kids
betsy

crutches. Does anyone have any suggestions on managing the logistics of an
active 2 1/2 yr old, a carseat, and the various carryons, plus an adult on
crutches?

Depending on your stroller you either strap the car seat into the
stroller and your child into that car seat, or strap the child into
the stroller and strap the car seat hanging off the back of the
stroller. Both adults use a backpack for your carryon. This works
well with crutches. If it doesn't work to strap the car seat to the
stroller, hang it upside down from the top of your backpack. If you
don't have a ride to the airport, drop off DH and luggage, then go
park. If you can't do a curbside checkin, strap all your checked
luggage to your luggage carrier. While pushing the stroller forward,
pull the luggage along behind you with one hand. Plan extra time for
going up and down curbs. Order wheelchairs for your transfers. I've
also found a leash useful to keep from loosing kids at the airport.

I've flown alone with 2 kids in carseats and managed tight transfers
rushing kids and carseats from one plane to another. Once you get the
logistics down, it does become practical.

--Betsy

Old June 25th 07, 01:36 PM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

Hi --

We used to have a bag for the carseat that functioned like a backpack.
We'd use it to carry the carseat on board in those early days, and to
check it through when the kids got bigger. Perhaps you can find or rig
together something like that to make the seat easier to carry?

Do phone the airline well in advance to explain the situation and ask
what accomodations they can offer to help. They should be able to meet
you curbside with a wheelchair, help you all get through security, and
then put your family in a cart or wheelchair to get to the gate.
They'll help you similarly at the other end.

Once you get to DC, enjoy your visit! I take it you have family who
live in the area, so you don't need advice on the best playgrounds to
visit?

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old June 25th 07, 02:34 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"Donna Metler" wrote:

We're supposed to fly to DC for a job interview for DH and a family visit
later this week, which, due to scheduling will involve a plane change in
Atlanta. Unfortunately, DH broke a bone in his foot Friday, and is on
crutches. Does anyone have any suggestions on managing the logistics of an
active 2 1/2 yr old, a carseat, and the various carryons, plus an adult on
crutches? Usually we bring the stroller and one adult handles toddler while
the other handles the stroller piled with bags (or, if toddler's in the
stroller, the other carries the carryons that don't fit in the stroller
basket-but that's with 2 able bodied adults) I have NO clue how we're going
to get into the airport in the first place, either, since that usually takes
every hand we have available.

My dd#2 put her ds into a backpack when he was running around and
didn't like to be confined. Although he was a little younger than
yours - she flew two or three times a week for about 6 months when he
was 8 months to about 14 months.

You've gotten good advice, but I will summarize

Take a limo or some other form of transport to the airport where they
will handle the checked luggage for you.

Do curbside check and check the bags all the way through.

Have the airline/airport transport you all in a wheelchair or cart
including making the plane change and getting your luggage at the
destination.

Traveling with my grandson recently, he was able to carry our carryon
items, and I could get wheelchairs (and put stuff on my lap) in most
cases. Once when there was a cart for 5 and there were 4 other
disabled people, he had to walk and meet us at the gate.

Two small glitches. Since I was in a wheelchair to go through
security, they had to pat me down, and when they found my "shoulder
holster" (which had my valuables and my blood pressure pills for the
day) under my clothes and the pill container rattled, they wanted to
see it, but I couldn't show it to them without pulling my dress up to
my chest level, and I wasn't wearing a bra. So they had to take me
into a private room. My grandson thought this was very funny and kept
saying "Grandma had a cavity search".

The other glitch was in Shannon where they gave us a wheelchair, but
did not offer a person to push. We got our bags from security, but
one person can't push a wheelchair and take care of two roller bags.