"Fetal EKG may reduce C-sections"

Old January 12th 05, 01:44 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Renee wrote:

Obstetrics is a cash cow for most hospitals, and with a nine-month
lead-up and a "patient" who is generally healthy and not in imminent
danger, clients can, and do, apply a lot of market pressure. That's
why lots of hospitals have invested quite a bit of money developing
more spacious and "home like" birthing suites. They perceive,
correctly, that such things will draw business.

I don't know if I agree with this. Many hospitals in my area have
closed their maternity wards because they were losing money on them.

All hospitals are incredibly sensitive to bed usage, so
if there aren't enough maternity patients to keep the unit busy
it's not going to pan out for them. Also, liability insurance is
taking more of a bite these days. On the other hand, one of the
reasons maternity is so useful to hospitals is that it's a great
way to draw in patients for future business. Maternity services
are often a person's first experience of a hospital, and if you
can draw in a patient for maternity, and make them happy, there's
a good chance that they'll return. With more and more patients
using managed care, hospital choices are more constrained. Hook
someone in with maternity (something that many patients plan
in advance, so it can affect their insurance decisions) so that
they choose a plan that encourages use of your hospital and you
have a better chance of having a long-term customer.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 12th 05, 06:24 AM
Todd Gastaldo

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
news
Renee wrote:

[...]

RELEVANT QUOTE FROM 1986...

"Obstetrics is now considered to be the service leader in establishing
patient loyalty to the institution. Innovative maternity programs can
increase the patient volume in other areas, through the woman's influence.
Since women tend to decide where the family will go for medical care (in 70%
of families say some researcher), loyalty won through innovative obstetrics
programs transfers to other patient areas." [Innovations in obstetric
design. Hospital Administration Currents 1986;30(3):9-14. In Lerman A.
Birth environments: emerging trends and implications for design. University
of Wisconsin at Milwaukee: School of Architecture and Urban Planning, 198_]

Organized medicine has a HUGE "innovative obstetrics program" going...

"[C]hildbirth is the most common reason for inpatient care in the United
States..." [Annas GJ. Women and children first. N Engl J Med (Dec14)1995]

Don't forget, AFTER the birth there are MORE profits to be made...

"The most common diagnosis for hospitalization among all women is trauma to
perineum due to childbirth."
http://www.ahcpr.gov/data/hcup/factbk3/factbk3.htm

Todd

Old January 12th 05, 07:01 AM
Kelly

soooo, 19 years ago relevant.

Ericka is right, a maternity unit is typically a first time hospital stay
for people.

ink.net...

Old January 12th 05, 07:08 AM
Todd Gastaldo

"Kelly" wrote in message
soooo, 19 years ago relevant.

Ericka is right, a maternity unit is typically a first time hospital stay
for people.

Kelly,

The quote (see below) seemed to me to accord with what Ericka said.

This didn't seem so to you?

Todd

Old January 12th 05, 07:34 AM
Kelly

yes, *years* ago (like you posted, 1986) These days most hospitals are not
redoing their maternity units (okay, where I live) They are nice, don't get
me wrong, but new updates aren't happening with a vengeance like in the late
80's *early* nineties. What is happening are well staffed and well informed
highly progressive care units-lactation services being provided in house as
well as easy to access services once home. There is one hospital in town
that has a humongous OB department, but we nickname them McBirth or
McDrivethrough Birth. You know what a money maker department is? Surgery.
That is big competition nowadays.

Kelly

Old January 12th 05, 12:17 PM
Todd Gastaldo

"Kelly" wrote in message
yes, *years* ago (like you posted, 1986) These days most hospitals are
not redoing their maternity units (okay, where I live) They are nice,
don't get me wrong, but new updates aren't happening with a vengeance like
in the late 80's *early* nineties. What is happening are well staffed and
well informed highly progressive care units-lactation services being
provided in house as well as easy to access services once home. There is
one hospital in town that has a humongous OB department, but we nickname
them McBirth or McDrivethrough Birth. You know what a money maker
department is? Surgery. That is big competition nowadays.

Kelly,

Your points are well taken.

I was thinking the 1986 article accorded with Ericka's "on the other hand,"
as in,