"Pregnancy category A" v. "Pregnancy category B"

Old May 14th 05, 04:33 AM
Emily

Michelle J. Haines wrote:
Emily wrote:

speak . I asked what category B means, and she said that
category A and B are considered safe in pregnancy, in contrast
with category C (some concern, consider the risk/benefit
trade-off) and categories D and X (don't ever take).

D isn't don't even take, it's also a "consider the risk" drug, but you
have to balance more difficult risks. One of the drugs I take is a
category D drug, although I don't take it first trimester.

Thanks for the clarification, Michelle. I guess either the
nurse said it wrong, or I misunderstood what she said. Since
the meds I'm thinking about are category B, it wasn't directly
relevant to the immediate concern, but I'm glad to know in general.

Emily
Old May 14th 05, 04:36 AM
Emily

Chookie wrote:
I am not sure about why the instant oats would be bad unless the fibre content
is much lower than expected. Perhaps you can eat something a bit less
instant? I eat one-minute oats cooked on the stove rather than the microwave
type, mainly because it has a nicer consistency.

I don't know what it was about them either, but I noticed a pattern
(at least two or three times running) of instant oats in the morning
= diarrhea in the afternoon. So, I stopped eating them. When the
baby is here, I'll probably try real oats again while my milk supply
is getting established.

The other option is that you might be constipated/impacted. You'd probably
know yourself if this is the case, but your iron supplement is the first thing
to ditch.

Not unless this is some really unusual kind of constipation
I'm not taking a separate iron supplement (beyond what's in my
OTC prenatal).

Emily
Old May 14th 05, 11:19 AM
Iuil

"Jake Mysterio" wrote
Maxalon for nausea is a category A. but stemital is Category B, and I am
under the impression that Panadol (Tylenol??) is also.

Paracetemol/acetominophen is a Cat B according to Hale :-/. I think most of
us wouldn't worry about taking an occasional Panadol/Tylenol while pg.

Jean