Its gone so quick

Old September 5th 05, 01:25 PM
April & Bump

Default Its gone so quick

I can not believe that I am just about 5 months pregnant now, I am 19 weeks
and so many days pregs and its just gone so quickly. It only seems like
yesterday that I did the pregnancy test and I was 7 wks then and it feels
like yesterday when I had the massive bleed at 9 weeks. Where has the other
10 weeks gone. I basically have about 4 months left and then my little
bundle will be in my arms hopefully. I still get scared about the labour and
how I will cope, I would love to have a fairly normal pain relieve free
labour but last time I lost control and just had everything. Started with
gas and air but that did very little for me and pain kinda got really bad
when I was nearly 10cm dilated I think and I just lost control and then had
pethidine followed by an epidural because DS 2 was nearly another c section.
This time round I have read up on pain reliefe and found that pethidine can
slow the labour and affect baby so I dont know if I want this and I also
remember that last time when I had pethidine I just lost all control of
myself and did not know what was going on around me and I cant remember
hardly anything of the later stages of labour just remember the docs and
midwifes faguly around me, I cant even remember signing for the epidural but
apparantly I did. I also have a massive fear of dying through labour and yes
I know thats really stupid. I cant wait for baby to get here but I wish I
could skip the labour part thats just freaking me out and it shouldnt
because this is number 3 baby so been there and done that and should be
fairly experienced by now but no still as scared as ever.

Sry kinda went into a rant there.

Old September 5th 05, 01:41 PM
Anne Rogers

could skip the labour part thats just freaking me out and it shouldnt
because this is number 3 baby so been there and done that and should be
fairly experienced by now but no still as scared as ever.

can you try and talk to someone? I had fears and I tried to raise them with
a couple of people, but I didn't try very hard and left a lot of things
unaddressed, mine were more related to previous postnatal depression, not
labour itself, but I was worried about how the intensity of labour would
affect me, I was right to be worried, when things kicked of, more worries
and fears hit me than I could possibly have imagined, I've not talked about
this before, but 3 months on I'm getting my head round it, at first if I had
been left alone in the room I would have thrown myself out of the window, I
barely made any attempt to cope with the contractions and was so distressed
that both me and baby were medically "in distress", I got an epidural and
then cried for an hour or more, which is unusual for me, I wouldn't talk to
anyone and if anyone asked if I was ok, I said no, but nothing more.
Fortunately I got things together by the time I was pushing, but all of
these problems could have been avoided if I had been more proactive about
getting the help I needed in advance.

Cheers

Anne

Old September 5th 05, 09:38 PM
April & Bump

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Anne

I think my fears steam back from the care I had with the previous
pregnancies I was in a different area then and the pregnancy care and
information ect was very poor, I was treated more like a number to the NHS
then a mum to be and most of the care was very quick ect, during labour my
birth plan was not followed at all, I asked for skin to skin after birth and
on none of the occasions was this carried out but babies were washed and
dressed then handed to me, I then tried to breast feed and failed and when I
asked for help and advice I was again pretty much ignored and failed. So far
during the pregnancy this time its been so much better and I have been
treated with respect, time and patience, I spoke to the Midwife at the
hospital about my fears after the birth i.e. getting PND again and she was
brillient, she listesend and took her time there was no rush even though she
had other mums waiting. So the after labour bit I am reasurred with but
labour still scares me quite a bit, I think this is just a natural thing or
at least I am hoping it is. I am going to speak more with the care givers
about pain relieve as I still am not 100% sure what pain reliefe I want. I
do not want pethidine if its going to knock me stupid again but at the same
time I dont know if I can handle such pain. I can just remember that the
pain got real intenseive and I just lost it and that scares the hell out of
me.

Old September 6th 05, 09:12 AM
DStone

"April & Bump" wrote in message

[...]

If it's any consolation I am terrified of childbirth.. I am great with
labour but when the head is being born I lose it! This is number 6 for me
and def my last!

It has gone really quick for me too, I am due 15th October.

Andrea.

Old September 6th 05, 01:18 PM
April & Bump

If it's any consolation I am terrified of childbirth.. I am great with
labour but when the head is being born I lose it! This is number 6 for me
and def my last!

It has gone really quick for me too, I am due 15th October.

Andrea.

Hi Andrea

I was just really ****ed off with myself last time because I seemed to do
really well with no pain reliefe up until the point where I was fully
dilated and like I said I just lost all control and had all pain reliefe
that was going but the pethidine made me lose my mind and I was completly
out of it just wanting to sleep but the docs and nurses wanted me to push
but I just couldnt I was absolutly useless. I really hope this time will be
different and that I will be more in control. I am kinda pleased that
someone else is also terrified of labour just like myself, I know that
sounds horrible but at least I know im not on my own on this scary
adventure. I am more scared of having a c section that labour itself but
that it proberbly due to the fact I had a real horrible experience with my
1st son, he was born emergency C section and it was a nightmare for me. You
really are near your due date, I hope all goes well for you

April

Old September 6th 05, 04:11 PM
Andrea S

"April & Bump" wrote in message ...

[...]

I am exactly the same.. I am calm and deal with all the contractions fine
until fully dilated. I am a sod for trying to jump sideways off the bed as
the head is being born and always warn the Midwives!!
I manage as long as I can stand it then have the gas and air (around 5cms)
then have Pethadine in half doses near the end. I also don't think it helps
but at the time it felt like I was at least trying something! Prob will give
Pethadine miss this time.
I am very active until the pain gets bad at 7cms, then I go for the lazy
flat on my back position which I know doesn't help, so I am going to give it
my all to remain mobile longer.

I also have noticed my labours are getting longer. As soon as the labour is
over I can't hold the baby right away, takes me a few hours to get my head
back together. I see these birth shows where mothers are cuddling their
babies right away but I take longer to get it together.

Will let you know how I get on when my baby Girl arrives!

Andrea.

Old September 6th 05, 06:36 PM
stasya

I'm kind of scared about the whole birth thing too, although it's my
3rd. I bled badly with the first, and hemorraghed with the second, so
I'm worried about this one. The pain thing isn't so bad, it comes, it
goes, the baby's born. I know in my head that it will suck as it always
does (I spend the 5 or 6 months after the baby's born saying that
that's it, no more....). But somehow I've forgotten exactly how MUCH it
hurts, which I guess is something to be grateful for! Its just the
bleeding that I'm worried about, they were on the verge last time of
"taking me upstairs" for something, I never did get around to asking
what exactly they had in mind. So, I pray it'll be better this time.

Stasya

Old September 6th 05, 08:46 PM
maya

Can you actually die during labour? I really really hope not. I am only
12 weeks but I sometimes think about the labour and how it will be. It
is my first child. I am worried and scared.
Do those Lamaze (sp?) classes really help? Is it worth enrolling in it?
I am usually a real wimp and cannot really stand the pain that much. I
realize that this will be very painful, no ifs or buts. What can I do
to prepare myself?

Maya

Old September 6th 05, 08:51 PM
Emily

maya wrote:
Can you actually die during labour? I really really hope not. I am only
12 weeks but I sometimes think about the labour and how it will be. It
is my first child. I am worried and scared.
Do those Lamaze (sp?) classes really help? Is it worth enrolling in it?
I am usually a real wimp and cannot really stand the pain that much. I
realize that this will be very painful, no ifs or buts. What can I do
to prepare myself?

Hi Maya,

Maternal death during childbirth is now very, very rare in the
first world.

The best way to prepare yourself for labor is to read up/take classes
so that you understand the process: Both what your body will be
doing, and the various things that your caregivers might suggest.

Everyone experiences labor differently. With me, for DS, it was
more extreme discomfort than pain, and a lot of hard work. Keep
in mind that, unlike most pain, labor pains (i.e., contractions)
don't mean that something's wrong.

I found that reading birth stories on this group was also very
helpful. Very interesting to read about what the process was like.

Having been through it before, I have to say that I much prefer
the trial of labor (which lasts a day or two at most, in most cases)
to the rest of the 9 months, with all the discomforts and
inconveniences of pregnancy!

--
Emily
DS 5/02
Old September 6th 05, 09:13 PM
maya

Thanks a lot Emily! I find this group extremely helpful too. I will
take the classes, I think I really need them.
I heard that nearing the labour, most women are very anxious to get it
done and that may make it a little easier as far as fear goes.... I am
not sure that this is true or not but then again, this is my first so I
have no idea what to expect....