Toddler Bath issue

Old February 10th 07, 03:51 AM posted to misc.kids
Tori M

Default Toddler Bath issue

Xavier is totaly afraid to have his hair washed. I try not to wash it often
but there are times when it HAS to be done. Bonnie went through it a little
but she got better after I let her start washing my hair. Xavier wants no
part of it. Does anyone have suggestions for making this a little easier?
he screams like I am trying to chop off his arms.

Tori

--
Mom To:
Bonnie (03/20/02)

I guess it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you,
It's what you leave behind you when you go.
~Randy Travis

Old February 10th 07, 08:31 AM posted to misc.kids
Me Myself and I

Oh I would love to know the answer to this one too. Abby is exactly the
same time and I have to sneakily get her hair wet with a flannel, then I
have to wash her hair and rinse it in about 10 seconds before she screams
the house down!!

--
Pip

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - 21 March 02 -
Still as small as a peanut but as smart as a whip!

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - 3 Feb 05 -
I am very polite and say "Ank Ooooooo" whenever I'm given something.

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

Old February 10th 07, 12:29 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeanne

Tori M wrote:
Xavier is totaly afraid to have his hair washed. I try not to wash it often
but there are times when it HAS to be done. Bonnie went through it a little
but she got better after I let her start washing my hair. Xavier wants no
part of it. Does anyone have suggestions for making this a little easier?
he screams like I am trying to chop off his arms.

Tori

DD did that when she was about 2 or 3. Surprisingly after she had swim
lessons, she no longer complained and actually liked having her hair
rinsed. DS, who is 3 1/2, is taking swim lessons and now dunks his head
but he still complains. I, um, ignore the screams and just do three
quick rinses over his hair with a large cup. He doesn't have a lot of
hair so this is usually enough. Sometimes, if he has a washcloth he's
okay with the rinsing.

Jeanne
Old February 10th 07, 01:20 PM posted to misc.kids
Aula

"Tori M" wrote in message
Xavier is totaly afraid to have his hair washed. I try not to wash it
often but there are times when it HAS to be done. Bonnie went through it
a little but she got better after I let her start washing my hair. Xavier
wants no part of it. Does anyone have suggestions for making this a
little easier? he screams like I am trying to chop off his arms.

Boy do I remember the screamin' my DS would put us through. I think we went
through that for about a year, maybe longer. Ugh. What finally worked, at
least in that it *started* helping him turn the corner on it, was washing
his hair *more* frequently [although not always with shampoo as daily is not
a good idea for that] and give him as much control over the process as
possible. The reason I did it nearly daily was to accustom him to it as
just being part of the routine. What I did to help him feel somewhat in
control, was have him lay back into the water to wet and later rinse his
hair. Screams did continue throughout the process for some time after I
started that, but eventually he seemed to appreciate the degree of control
and the fact he could limit the amount of water reaching his eyes helped
loads.

In other threads on this topic I've seen suggestions to give the child a
washcloth to hold over their eyes [usually a big part of the issue], use of
those visor bath thingies that also limit water flow to the face, use of
hand held hoses to control where the water spray goes more effectively,
using as little water [depth] in the tub as possible, showering with the
child and so forth. IOW, ymmv and each child is different. The best news
is that kids do move out of this phase. The sometimes bad news is that the
next phase is even louder.

-Aula, whos DS11 is watching me compose this post over my shoulder and
giggling.

Old February 10th 07, 01:40 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Aula says...

"Tori M" wrote in message
[...]

My 14 year old would probably be mad! :-)

When he was a toddler, he didn't distinguish between shampooing his hair and the
rest of his bath. But his hair got washed each time. So I had a similar
experience.

When he started his own showers, for a long time he didnt' use shampoo - he just
washed his hair in the bath soap. He's cut and dried and tends to pare tasks
down to essentials .

Banty

Old February 10th 07, 02:01 PM posted to misc.kids
Aula

"Banty" wrote in message
When he started his own showers, for a long time he didnt' use shampoo -
he just
washed his hair in the bath soap. He's cut and dried and tends to pare
tasks
down to essentials .

Yeah, DS tends to pare some tasks down that way, although we've noticed a
few of them sometimes get pared down a little bit too much [like no water on
the boy during the 'shower' G]. I suspect it is at least partly the
nature of boys this age who don't really want to do something anyway. Now,
tell him to go pick up that lego mess on his bedroom floor and we'll
probably not see him for hours because picking up involves interesting sound
effects, the creation of certain things out of the pieces, and who knows
what all else.

-Aula

Old February 10th 07, 02:13 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Banty wrote in
:

When he started his own showers, for a long time he didnt'
use shampoo - he just washed his hair in the bath soap.
He's cut and dried and tends to pare tasks down to
essentials .

shampoo doesn't do anything that soap doesn't also do. it
might have added ingredients to ease rinsing in hard water,
but that's about it. just think, he was saving money on
unnecessary products
lee uses soap, or the dog's shampoo if it's handy
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Old February 10th 07, 03:10 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Tori M" wrote in message
Xavier is totaly afraid to have his hair washed. I try not to wash it
often but there are times when it HAS to be done. Bonnie went through it
a little but she got better after I let her start washing my hair. Xavier
wants no part of it. Does anyone have suggestions for making this a
little easier? he screams like I am trying to chop off his arms.

Will he lean back with his head in Bonnie's lap?
Both of mine had no problems hairwashing after they learnt to lean back. We
got #2 to put her head down in #1's lap from about 15 months or so, and it
gave her somewhere secure to put her head, and someone to look at. They
usually ended up in giggles. She now happily leans back on a hand. #1 took
longer to persuade to do it though, I think she was about 2yo and only had
the option of a hand.
Debbie

Old February 10th 07, 03:55 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

On Feb 10, 9:13 am, enigma wrote:

Banty wrote :

When he started his own showers, for a long time he didnt'
use shampoo - he just washed his hair in the bath soap.
He's cut and dried and tends to pare tasks down to
essentials .

shampoo doesn't do anything that soap doesn't also do. it
might have added ingredients to ease rinsing in hard water,
but that's about it. just think, he was saving money on
unnecessary products
lee uses soap, or the dog's shampoo if it's handy
--

Reminds me of when my parents sent me to shower & shampoo, and I came
back telling Mother there was no shampoo in the shower, and Daddy

Robert

Old February 10th 07, 06:13 PM posted to misc.kids
Clisby

Tori M wrote:

Xavier is totaly afraid to have his hair washed. I try not to wash it often
but there are times when it HAS to be done. Bonnie went through it a little
but she got better after I let her start washing my hair. Xavier wants no
part of it. Does anyone have suggestions for making this a little easier?
he screams like I am trying to chop off his arms.

Tori

I turned hair-washing over to my husband, who couldn't care less if kids
scream.

Clisby