Australians here - formula add

Old June 22nd 06, 04:12 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Australians here - formula add

.... has anyone else seen the new He!nz Toddler formula add?
It opens with some woman posing as a paed.. saying how great probiotics are
and then a "mum" finishes the sentence with a plug for toddler formula.
I know that He!nz is allowed to advertise "toddler" formula even though its
not supposed to advertise infant formula .... but the subtext of the add -
"Drs and good mums give toddlers formula" - just made me feel ill.

Amanda

Old June 22nd 06, 10:03 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"FlowerGirl" wrote in message
... has anyone else seen the new He!nz Toddler formula add?
It opens with some woman posing as a paed.. saying how great probiotics
are
and then a "mum" finishes the sentence with a plug for toddler formula.
I know that He!nz is allowed to advertise "toddler" formula even though
its
not supposed to advertise infant formula .... but the subtext of the add -
"Drs and good mums give toddlers formula" - just made me feel ill.

Yeah, it's on its second run, I think. I think the last one was with that
women's netball captain (can't remember her name) saying she gives her kid
Toddler Gold. Or maybe some other female sports personality...? Was it Lisa
Curry Kenny?

And since when are "probiotics" a solution for "fussy eaters"? According to
the Probiotics Research Institute "Probiotics are described as being living
micro-organisms which, upon ingestion, affect the body in a beneficial
manner." So the fact that a fussy eater is fed probiotics is going to do
nothing for the kid's nutrition. A kid eating only pink food and being given
probiotics is going to have (maybe) a healthier gut but isn't going to have
a nutritional advantage over any other kid eating only pink food. Hell, if
the other kid is eating a well balanced pink-dyed diet while the probiotics
kid only gets limited foods, the non-probiotics kid would have the
nutritional advantage!

I found this study review
http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/...u10160_fm.html which
looked at a study that looked at use of probiotics and health benefits for
kids attending daycare. Their conclusion? No significant difference, no
significant health protection, effect was "modest at best".

Old June 22nd 06, 01:09 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

On 2006-06-22 11:12:46 +0800, "FlowerGirl"
said:

... has anyone else seen the new He!nz Toddler formula add?
It opens with some woman posing as a paed.. saying how great probiotics are
and then a "mum" finishes the sentence with a plug for toddler formula.
I know that He!nz is allowed to advertise "toddler" formula even though its
not supposed to advertise infant formula .... but the subtext of the add -
"Drs and good mums give toddlers formula" - just made me feel ill.

Amanda

I heard that ad tonight - HATED how it said something like, "The best
toddler milk"

Sorry? I thought my kid had the best toddler milk - MY BREAST MILK!!

I feel like writing a letter....

Jo
--
Woman, Wife, Mother, Midwife

Old June 22nd 06, 06:19 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

we have similar stuff in the UK, though I've not yet seed one that goes as
far as to include a doctor in the advertising. Apparently toddler and follow
on milks only exist because they aren't allowed to advertise the infant
stuff, but it is barely any different.

Anne

Old June 22nd 06, 10:57 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Engram" wrote in message
u...

"FlowerGirl" wrote in message
... has anyone else seen the new He!nz Toddler formula add?
It opens with some woman posing as a paed.. saying how great probiotics
are
and then a "mum" finishes the sentence with a plug for toddler formula.
I know that He!nz is allowed to advertise "toddler" formula even though
its
not supposed to advertise infant formula .... but the subtext of the

add -
"Drs and good mums give toddlers formula" - just made me feel ill.

Yeah, it's on its second run, I think. I think the last one was with that
women's netball captain (can't remember her name) saying she gives her kid
Toddler Gold. Or maybe some other female sports personality...? Was it

Lisa
Curry Kenny?

It was Liz Ellis (netballer)... it annoyed me in a "so you're getting around
the rules about not advertising infant formula" way ... but didn't provoke
me to actually yell at the TV

And since when are "probiotics" a solution for "fussy eaters"? According

the Probiotics Research Institute "Probiotics are described as being

living
micro-organisms which, upon ingestion, affect the body in a beneficial
manner." So the fact that a fussy eater is fed probiotics is going to do
nothing for the kid's nutrition. A kid eating only pink food and being

given
probiotics is going to have (maybe) a healthier gut but isn't going to

have
a nutritional advantage over any other kid eating only pink food. Hell, if
the other kid is eating a well balanced pink-dyed diet while the

probiotics
kid only gets limited foods, the non-probiotics kid would have the
nutritional advantage!

I find it annoying that they just say "fussy eater" and don't seem to
mention that this should be addressed by any means other than formula.
....and I also don't get why a glass of milk and a tub of yoghurt (for kids
with no dairy allergies) is such a hard thing to offer anyway. ... not to
mention the benefits of bf past the age of 1 yo anyway.

Amanda

Old June 23rd 06, 02:33 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

On 2006-06-22 11:12:46 +0800, "FlowerGirl"
said:

... has anyone else seen the new He!nz Toddler formula add?
It opens with some woman posing as a paed.. saying how great probiotics are
and then a "mum" finishes the sentence with a plug for toddler formula.
I know that He!nz is allowed to advertise "toddler" formula even though its
not supposed to advertise infant formula .... but the subtext of the add -
"Drs and good mums give toddlers formula" - just made me feel ill.

I believe the woman posing as a paed is the same woman who is the mum
after walking into the room. Take off the glasses and take her hair
out of the bun, instant mum from professional. There's another
stereotype that I hate, it goes with the doctor mum who is talking
about Panadol for babies - you know she's a doctor to start with
because her hair is up, she's wearing glasses and of course she has the
obligatory stethoscope around her neck, then when she's in mum mode her
hair is unbrushed, she's wearing pyjamas and she's fallen asleep on the
couch.

I heard that ad tonight - HATED how it said something like, "The best
toddler milk"

Sorry? I thought my kid had the best toddler milk - MY BREAST MILK!!

Me too. I even said to the TV "If you're worried about your child,
just don't stop breastfeeding when they reach 12 months!". And toddler
formula is one of my pet hates anyway for several reasons, including
the fact that a lot of mums assume that it's necessary, desirable and
should be given in a bottle because it's formula. Those are the kids
more likely to end up overweight because their parents won't
necessarily realise that it's a once a day drink to supplement the diet
rather than a 3 or more times a day drink like infant formula is.

Cheryl

Old June 23rd 06, 05:51 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

" It was Liz Ellis (netballer)... it annoyed me in a "so you're getting
around
the rules about not advertising infant formula" way ... but didn't provoke
me to actually yell at the TV

I was thinking it was Hayley Lewis, the former Olympic swimmer? Could be
wrong...

Cheers
Pippa

DD 12/2002
DS 6/2005

Old June 24th 06, 04:03 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Mistious" wrote in message
u...

" It was Liz Ellis (netballer)... it annoyed me in a "so you're getting
around
the rules about not advertising infant formula" way ... but didn't

provoke
me to actually yell at the TV

I was thinking it was Hayley Lewis, the former Olympic swimmer? Could be
wrong...

Maybe in a different add?
Liz Ellis has been doing a lot of general advertising for all of He!nz'z
products lately ... which I think is quite funny as she will freely admit to
eating heaps of anything and everything (whether good for her or not) due to
the enormous amount of training she does.

Old June 25th 06, 12:46 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

On 2006-06-22 11:12:46 +0800, "FlowerGirl"
said:

... has anyone else seen the new He!nz Toddler formula add?
It opens with some woman posing as a paed.. saying how great probiotics
are
and then a "mum" finishes the sentence with a plug for toddler formula.
I know that He!nz is allowed to advertise "toddler" formula even though
its
not supposed to advertise infant formula .... but the subtext of the
add -
"Drs and good mums give toddlers formula" - just made me feel ill.

Amanda

I heard that ad tonight - HATED how it said something like, "The best
toddler milk"

Sorry? I thought my kid had the best toddler milk - MY BREAST MILK!!

I feel like writing a letter....

you abosolutely SHOULD write a letter. This is how community opinions are
heard

chris

Jo
--
Woman, Wife, Mother, Midwife

Old June 27th 06, 12:42 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In article ,
"FlowerGirl" wrote:

... has anyone else seen the new He!nz Toddler formula add?
It opens with some woman posing as a paed.. saying how great probiotics are
and then a "mum" finishes the sentence with a plug for toddler formula.
I know that He!nz is allowed to advertise "toddler" formula even though its
not supposed to advertise infant formula .... but the subtext of the add -
"Drs and good mums give toddlers formula" - just made me feel ill.

Refer it to the Australian Breastfeeding Associaion -- I think they have an
officer who complains to the Govt about things like that. As if breast milk
isn't full of probiotics!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue