Sterilizing pumps & bottles...for how long?!

Old June 22nd 06, 07:30 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Sterilizing pumps & bottles...for how long?!

Just a quick question for all you moms out there!

My daughter is just over 6 months now, and I rarely feed her by bottle,
however I still need to express milk (or I'll blow up). At what age is
it safe to stop sterilizing the pump and bottles/nipples? I'll still
do it, however was wondering if it is really necessary.

Thanks!
Isabelle

Old June 22nd 06, 07:45 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

isturby wrote:
Just a quick question for all you moms out there!

My daughter is just over 6 months now, and I rarely feed her by bottle,
however I still need to express milk (or I'll blow up). At what age is
it safe to stop sterilizing the pump and bottles/nipples? I'll still
do it, however was wondering if it is really necessary.

If you live in an area with a clean water supply, you don't ever need
to sterilize bottles or nipples or pumps at all; just a good thorough
washing does the trick.

Sterilizing bottles is only really recommended anymore when you have
reason to believe your water supply could be contaminated with
bacteria, because then the bacteria are left on the bottle when it's
rinsed off after being washed. Not sure how you'd make that
determination, but I daresay you can count city tap water in the US as
being plenty safe enough (and probably in Britain and Australia, too).

Good luck!

Old June 22nd 06, 08:51 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"isturby" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just a quick question for all you moms out there!

My daughter is just over 6 months now, and I rarely feed her by bottle,
however I still need to express milk (or I'll blow up). At what age is
it safe to stop sterilizing the pump and bottles/nipples? I'll still
do it, however was wondering if it is really necessary.

I EPd from two days to eleven months-ish.

What is this sterilizing you speak of?

Jess

Old June 22nd 06, 10:07 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"isturby" wrote in message

My daughter is just over 6 months now, and I rarely feed her by bottle,
however I still need to express milk (or I'll blow up). At what age is
it safe to stop sterilizing the pump and bottles/nipples? I'll still
do it, however was wondering if it is really necessary.

to answer the original question, don't do it if you have a good water supply

but as for they why of pumping, if you keep doing it you'll keep needing to
do it, I suggest that next time you do it, you note how much you pump and
the next day pump and ounce less and so on, until you aren't pumping, you'll
have a stash for any bottles you want to give and will still be able to pump
occasionally if you need to.

Anne

Old June 23rd 06, 01:51 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Anne Rogers wrote:
"isturby" wrote in message

My daughter is just over 6 months now, and I rarely feed her by bottle,
however I still need to express milk (or I'll blow up). At what age is
it safe to stop sterilizing the pump and bottles/nipples? I'll still
do it, however was wondering if it is really necessary.

to answer the original question, don't do it if you have a good water supply

but as for they why of pumping, if you keep doing it you'll keep needing to
do it, I suggest that next time you do it, you note how much you pump and
the next day pump and ounce less and so on, until you aren't pumping, you'll
have a stash for any bottles you want to give and will still be able to pump
occasionally if you need to.

Anne

Hello all!

Thanks for the replies.

I am pumping because I still mix the baby cereal with expressed milk
(about 2 ounces each meal) and I also puree the baby food that I make
with the milk (instead of water). My daughter also drinks the BM from
a sippy cup during meals (at times), and when I use a babysitter, I
need to leave some milk for her. In any case, I hope to wean my
daughter off slowly, once I can introduce cow's milk.

As for the sterilizing method. I use the Avent microwave sterilizer.
I used to boil the bottles/nipples/pumps, but got too lazy. The water
should be fairly safe here (Ontario, Canada) however you can never be
too sure!

Thanks again for all your replies.
Isabelle

Old June 23rd 06, 06:10 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

isturby wrote:

My daughter is just over 6 months now, and I rarely feed her by bottle,
however I still need to express milk (or I'll blow up). At what age is
it safe to stop sterilizing the pump and bottles/nipples? I'll still
do it, however was wondering if it is really necessary.

I've never sterilized.

-- Anita --
Old June 23rd 06, 06:59 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hi, Isabelle

My little boy is now is 14 months old, and I still sterilize his
bottles.
Well, I just want what's safe for him.

Cheers,
- aurora -
http://aurora.insparenting.com

Old June 23rd 06, 09:57 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

isturby wrote:
Just a quick question for all you moms out there!

My daughter is just over 6 months now, and I rarely feed her by bottle,
however I still need to express milk (or I'll blow up). At what age is
it safe to stop sterilizing the pump and bottles/nipples? I'll still
do it, however was wondering if it is really necessary.

Ds is 11 and a half months and I still steralize his bottles/nipples
now. I guess by other responses I don't need to but it makes me feel
better so I do.

Jeni

Old June 23rd 06, 12:21 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I am pumping because I still mix the baby cereal with expressed milk
(about 2 ounces each meal) and I also puree the baby food that I make
with the milk (instead of water). My daughter also drinks the BM from
a sippy cup during meals (at times), and when I use a babysitter, I
need to leave some milk for her. In any case, I hope to wean my
daughter off slowly, once I can introduce cow's milk.

you seemed to imply in the original post that a big part of the reason for
pumping is that you would explode otherwise. All that means is that instead
of gradually cutting pumping to zero, you cut down to the amount you need!

Anne

Old June 25th 06, 04:47 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"isturby" ) writes:
At what age is
it safe to stop sterilizing the pump and bottles/nipples?

IMO at whatever age you start handing your baby toys that
have fallen on the floor (or toys that haven't been recently
sterilized) and allowing baby to put them in his/her mouth.
Or allowing baby to crawl on the floor and then put hands
in mouth.