OT, x-posted: light-colored poop in 14-month-old

Old January 28th 04, 07:01 PM
VirginiaGirl

Default OT, x-posted: light-colored poop in 14-month-old

Hi all,

I have a problem I was hoping some of you all with more parenting experience
thatn I have could give me some thoughts on My daughter (14 months) has
been having, over the last few days, extremely foul-smelling, pale,
beige-yellow bowel movements -- *not* white, but a color a touch darker than
khaki and a bit more yellow.

Anyway, the change was very sudden, and happened about 6 days ago. The
first time I noticed it, it was a normal consistency. Then, the next
morning she came down with a major bout of diarrhea (and some vomiting) that
lasted for 3-4 days. The diarrhea was the same pale color and very liquid
and foul-smelling. We kept her well-hydrated, and over the last couple of
days there has been no more vomiting and the stool has returned to a more
normal consistency. However, the color has stayed pale.

She isn't acting particularly sick -- a little cranky, perhaps, but I think
that could be ascribed to the diarrhea/stomach bug. She's sleeping, eating,
and playing well.

This was not precipitated by any big change in her diet. After the diarrhea
started, we did stick for a couple of days to dry toast/Pedialite etc, but
now she's eating regularly (whole milk, pasta, carrots, peas, etc.) and it
hasn't made a difference. She has no allergies we are aware of.

Also, I see no sign of jaundice at the moment.

I did talk to a nurse at the pediatrician's office a few days ago, and she
didn't seem to have any thoughts on it (her concern was more the
diarrhea/vomiting and keeping the baby hydrated).

Any thoughts? Is this normal? Could a gastro-intestinal bug cause this?
If not, should I be concerned about biliary obstruction (and what could
cause that?)? Should I wait a few days and see if it resolves itself, or
call the pediatrician and ask to be seen now?

Sorry for the length --

Thanks in advance!

VG

Old January 28th 04, 07:45 PM
Nina

"VirginiaGirl" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a problem I was hoping some of you all with more parenting

experience
thatn I have could give me some thoughts on My daughter (14 months)

has
been having, over the last few days, extremely foul-smelling, pale,
beige-yellow bowel movements -- *not* white, but a color a touch darker

than
khaki and a bit more yellow.

Ugh. When i was pregnant w/#2, #1 had poop like that. It realllly made me
ill.
I think the culprit was too much milk.

Old January 28th 04, 08:23 PM
JennP

"VirginiaGirl" wrote in message

Any thoughts? Is this normal? Could a gastro-intestinal bug cause this?
If not, should I be concerned about biliary obstruction (and what could
cause that?)? Should I wait a few days and see if it resolves itself, or
call the pediatrician and ask to be seen now?

It's probably a virus. I wouldn't go to the ped right now because they are
just going to tell you to keep her hydrated. Make sure you do and give it a
few more days.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old January 28th 04, 09:50 PM
Nikki

VirginiaGirl wrote:
Hi all,

I have a problem I was hoping some of you all with more parenting
experience thatn I have could give me some thoughts on My
daughter (14 months) has been having, over the last few days,
extremely foul-smelling, pale, beige-yellow bowel movements -- *not*
white, but a color a touch darker than khaki and a bit more yellow.

My boys have both experienced this from time to time since infancy. It has
always been a virus or a cold for them and went away on its own. Luke had
one this morning, slightly green, and the smell, ugh. You can imagine how
awful as he is 2.5 now :-P.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)