postnatal depression ARGGGGGH!

Old August 22nd 03, 07:05 PM
Shannon

Default postnatal depression ARGGGGGH!

"Andrea" wrote in message
My health visitor really wants me to go on the meds. I know I need them

but
I feel so guilty taking meds while nursing, and i'm scared about them
changing me.

Did the meds change you as a person in anyway - your personality? I am
afraid of becoming a zombie, but i'm that anyway right now.

No. They do not change your personality or make you a zombie. When I was
on depression meds (tricyclics - they didn't have SSRIs then) the best way I
could describe it was they they took the bottom off the lows. You still
feel all your emotions, but you don't fall down as far and it's easier to
pick yourself back up. The folks I know on SSRIs describe a similar
pattern - they are not "happy pills", they are more like "safety net pills".

Some varieties do cause sleepiness, but that's different from zombieism.
Just take those at night.

If you need the pills take them. It will do both you and your children a
world of good.

As to the kind that is best for nursing moms, I'll let the more experienced
folks answer that one.

Best to you -

-Shannon

Old August 22nd 03, 09:26 PM
CY

Looked it up in Hales and in the UK it is known as Zoloft or Lustral
(category L2).
"Sara" wrote in message
Andreawrote:

Did the meds change you as a person in anyway - your personality? I am
afraid of becoming a zombie, but i'm that anyway right now.

Well, yes, they did change me in that I'm not depressed. I still feel
like myself, in fact more than I did before I went on them. I
definitely didn't feel like myself with PPD. They didn't turn me into
a zombie. It was subtle. I was afraid of taking them for the same
reason -- will I still be me? -- but I'm so glad I did.

The only good thing is i'm caring for my baby, and I love him to pieces.

That's great!

I have had enough, will the meds help me?

They helped me greatly.

Please give me some hope, I have
had PPD after all 5 babies, and haven't had meds. It's like I have had

it
forever, a cycle of antenatal deppression followed by postnatal

depression.

Yeah, I had antenatal depression, too.

What else other than meds will help me? How long did it take after

starting
meds for you to feel some improvement?

I started to feel better as soon as I called my doctor to make an
appointment, because I'd admitted what was wrong and started to fix
it! The real change was gradual -- I'd guess it took about 1 to 2
weeks. (One side effect started right away, unfortunately, which was
an upset stomach. Not too bad, though, and it went away after a few
days.)

Ok I guess i'm going to make the appointment for the meds. Is there a
particular one I should ask for as far as nursing is concearned? I am in

the
UK.

I'm on Zoloft (going off it soon), and so are many other women here in
MKB. I don't know what it's called in the UK, but I'm sure your doctor
will know.

Good luck, Andrea. PPD sucks, plain and simple, but it's common and
your doctor should be able to help.

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle
(I check this e-mail account infrequently)

http://postpartum.meetup.com/

Old August 22nd 03, 09:57 PM
Kereru

"Andrea" wrote in message
My health visitor really wants me to go on the meds. I know I need them

but
I feel so guilty taking meds while nursing, and i'm scared about them
changing me.

Did the meds change you as a person in anyway - your personality? I am
afraid of becoming a zombie, but i'm that anyway right now.

I wake up feeling exhusted, housework is impossible, functioning is hard.

feed Kamron and sit on my backside feeling guilty because I am not doing
anything. At night I am taking Bachs Rescue Remedy but it isn't working,
because as soon as go to sleep I wake up with my heart racing and I can't
breathe. I am terrified, and every night I am convinced someone is

breaking
into the house.
I am very worried about the kids, I keep panicking that they have hurt
themselves. I am very anxious, and moody, and sex or intamacy is right out
of the window.
The only good thing is i'm caring for my baby, and I love him to pieces.

I have had enough, will the meds help me? Please give me some hope, I have
had PPD after all 5 babies, and haven't had meds. It's like I have had it
forever, a cycle of antenatal deppression followed by postnatal

depression.
What else other than meds will help me? How long did it take after

starting
meds for you to feel some improvement?

Ok I guess i'm going to make the appointment for the meds. Is there a
particular one I should ask for as far as nursing is concearned? I am in

the
UK.

This link is good for anyone wondering about PPD

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/info/help/pndep/index.htm

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 11 weeks old weighing 15
pounds 10 ozs.

Fave quote "Mother is the word for God on the lips and hearts of children"
from the film "The Crow".

I resisted anti-depressants for nine months and I wish I had started them
earlier. My personality didn't change, it just made me feel less anxious and
I feel I saw things more clearly. They worked brilliantly in conjunction
with counselling because they put me in a mindset where I was open to it.

Apart from that I joined a gym and a new mothers support group. I went to
both without the baby so it was time out and something for myself.

The sad thing is that I never trusted the doctors advice that the SSRIs were
safe when breastfeeding and eventually I gave up breastfeeding. Ironically
my lack of trust in the doctor was part of the anxiety I was experiencing.

Good Luck

Judy

Old August 22nd 03, 11:04 PM
Andrea

(category L2). Looked it up in Hales and in the UK it is known as Zoloft
or Lustral

Thanks very much, is that one the safest during breastfeeding?

Old August 22nd 03, 11:13 PM
Andrea

"Sara" wrote in message
Andreawrote:

Did the meds change you as a person in anyway - your personality? I am
afraid of becoming a zombie, but i'm that anyway right now.

Well, yes, they did change me in that I'm not depressed. I still feel
like myself, in fact more than I did before I went on them. I
definitely didn't feel like myself with PPD. They didn't turn me into
a zombie. It was subtle. I was afraid of taking them for the same
reason -- will I still be me? -- but I'm so glad I did.

That's great, to know you felt more yourself with meds. Right now I have
lost the nice loving, fun to be with Andrea (to be honest she was lost yrs
ago), and I wanna let her out!

What else other than meds will help me? How long did it take after

starting
meds for you to feel some improvement?

I started to feel better as soon as I called my doctor to make an
appointment, because I'd admitted what was wrong and started to fix
it! The real change was gradual -- I'd guess it took about 1 to 2
weeks. (One side effect started right away, unfortunately, which was
an upset stomach. Not too bad, though, and it went away after a few
days.)

Wow 1-2 weeks? that's amazing! I have been suffering for the past 8 years,
and I really hope the meds will be the answer.
I booked my dr's appointment for Thursday, and I alreay feel more posotive.
My hubby is very happy now I have decided to deal with it rather than tackle
this alone.

Good luck, Andrea. PPD sucks, plain and simple, but it's common and
your doctor should be able to help.

Thank-you for sharing Sarah. People who are dealing/dealt with PPD are a
real inspiration to me right now.

Old August 23rd 03, 12:03 AM
Andrea

Hi Dagny,

I am so glad you said that!
As a matter of fact a couple of years ago when I considered going on
antidepressants (but didn't take any), my dr offered my a thyroid test, but
I didn't bother showing for the blood test. I will definatley have it done
this time before going on the tablets.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 11 weeks old weighing 15
pounds 10 ozs.

Fave quote "Mother is the word for God on the lips and hearts of children"
from the film "The Crow".

"Dagny" wrote in message
k.net...

Did they test you for thyroid antibodies? I believe some PPD is simply
missed postpartum thyroiditis -- SSRIs cover the problem until the
thyroiditis recovers (a lot of postpartum women will get back normal

thyroid
function despite the antibodies, others will need permanent replacement).

About your anxiety symptoms, I think those can also be consistent with
thyroiditis, because when the immune system is destroying the gland, some
excess thyroid hormone can be released as the cells are destroyed causing
transient hyperthyroidism.

I have a bad case of permanent thyroiditis, and during the years of
misdiagnosis proir to the worst hypothyroid crash ever, GPs kept offering

me
Prozac, which kinda helps by propping you up, but doesn't get at the real
cause. Also needed thyroid replacement is totally safe for
pregnancy/breastfeeding, because it's a natural thing to have in your

body,
like taking insulin for diabetes.

I'm not saying don't take the antidepressants, but consider talking to

your
doctor about checking for the antibodies -- I think it's usually TPOAb
involved in postpartum.

-- Dagny

Old August 23rd 03, 12:06 AM
Sara

Andrea wrote:

Wow 1-2 weeks? that's amazing! I have been suffering for the past 8 years,
and I really hope the meds will be the answer.

I'm not saying everything was tickety-poo immediately, but yeah,
within two weeks I was clearly on my way. Good luck!

Old August 23rd 03, 01:45 AM
Tracey

Andrea wrote:

Did the meds change you as a person in anyway - your personality? I am
afraid of becoming a zombie, but i'm that anyway right now.

I'm on Paxil. The only changes that I noticed were a decrease in panic
attacks, and that I became more pleasant to be around. Definitely no zombie
like effects, rather quite the opposite. I was much more zombielike before
I started taking it.

I have had enough, will the meds help me?

Sure sounds like it to me, but I"m no professional. But I've BTDT.

Ok I guess i'm going to make the appointment for the meds. Is there a
particular one I should ask for as far as nursing is concearned? I am in
the UK.

I'm in the US, so I don't know if the meds are called the same things. My
OB told me that they usually prescribe either Paxil or Zoloft for nursing
moms with PPD.

Tracey in CT/USA
Old August 23rd 03, 04:28 AM
CY

Yes, it is supposedly one of the safest. There is another one but I don't
remember if it is Paxil or Serzone. I googled a couple of articles for you
but have not read them...

http://www.kellymom.com/meds/antidep...hale10-02.html
http://www.drdonnica.com/display.asp?article=5135
http://www.healthyplace.com/communit...astfeeding.asp

Old August 23rd 03, 07:17 AM
Jenrose

"Andrea" wrote in message
My health visitor really wants me to go on the meds. I know I need them

but
I feel so guilty taking meds while nursing, and i'm scared about them
changing me.

Did the meds change you as a person in anyway - your personality? I am
afraid of becoming a zombie, but i'm that anyway right now.

No. They didn't. What they did do was help me figure out the difference
between "normal healthy" thought patterns and "unhealthy, depressed" thought
patterns. I felt *more* like myself on the medication than off.

I wake up feeling exhusted, housework is impossible, functioning is hard.

feed Kamron and sit on my backside feeling guilty because I am not doing
anything. At night I am taking Bachs Rescue Remedy but it isn't working,
because as soon as go to sleep I wake up with my heart racing and I can't
breathe. I am terrified, and every night I am convinced someone is

breaking
into the house.

Y'know, sometimes the meds are just exactly what you need. I took them for
about a year and then weaned off. I'm very glad I took them and I've never
needed them since. Others in my family take them all the time and probably
will for the rest of their lives. But the meds make the difference between
panicky-immobility and functioning positive feeling.

I am very worried about the kids, I keep panicking that they have hurt
themselves. I am very anxious, and moody, and sex or intamacy is right out
of the window.
The only good thing is i'm caring for my baby, and I love him to pieces.

I have had enough, will the meds help me? Please give me some hope, I have
had PPD after all 5 babies, and haven't had meds. It's like I have had it
forever, a cycle of antenatal deppression followed by postnatal

depression.
What else other than meds will help me? How long did it take after

starting
meds for you to feel some improvement?

It was reasonably fast for me...with in a few days I was noticing changes
and within a couple weeks I was "normal" although since I'd *never* been
normal before, it was kind of new, y'know, feeling okay.

For me, having never really felt "normal" in my whole life, simply knowing
what normal looked like was enough to help teach me, after a while, how to
get there without the meds. I couldn't have done it without that intervening
step.

Jenrose

Depression in Pregnancy Enquries DIP Pregnancy 1 July 31st 04 04:05 AM
Postpartum depression Jill Pregnancy 12 June 16th 04 01:54 AM
Ritalin kids doomed to life of helplessness, despair, major depression. L Kids Health 4 December 11th 03 02:29 AM
recovering from postnatal depression Anne Rogers Pregnancy 5 October 15th 03 09:11 PM
I totally flunked my Postnatal Depression test :o( Andrea Breastfeeding 43 August 15th 03 01:53 PM