expressing sucess! now some questions

Old August 5th 03, 03:55 PM
teapot

Default expressing sucess! now some questions

Hooray, second time lucky I got half a small bottle of milk out with
an Avent ISIS. Now I have a few questions, hope you are a patient
lot...

The pump etc are in the fridge so I can add to it later, is this ok?
Is there an easy way to lable bottles for the freezer? I have got
some stickers somewhere is that best?
How does the defrosting thing work? Do you wait for it to defrost
naturally or do you heat it up?
To heat milk up do you stick the bottle in a pan of hot or warm water?

Moo is 8 weeks old and the idea is to give him milk in a cup rather
than a bottle as we have absolutly no routine established and the
health visitor has warned me about the evils of nipple confusion.
This will hopefully give me some time to catch up on exciting things
like sleep while his dad feeds him.

teapot
Old August 5th 03, 04:15 PM
Anne Rogers

The pump etc are in the fridge so I can add to it later, is this ok?
Is there an easy way to lable bottles for the freezer? I have got
some stickers somewhere is that best?
How does the defrosting thing work? Do you wait for it to defrost
naturally or do you heat it up?
To heat milk up do you stick the bottle in a pan of hot or warm water?

I think it's ok to add to milk in the fridge, within 24 hours, if you are
going to freeze it you should do it straight away and not add to it.

if you are putting it in bottles in the freezer you'll never have many at
once, so just stand them in a line and use the oldest first, if you'll be
storing lots, bags are cheaper and they have a white patch on that you can
label

i usually get milk out early to defrost, but if I forget, I stand it in
warm water, initially I used to heat the bottles, by standing them in a
bowl of water that had boiled about half an hour previously, I've now
discovered that this is't necessary and my baby will take them room
temperature ish (ie not straight from the fridge)

Moo is 8 weeks old and the idea is to give him milk in a cup rather
than a bottle as we have absolutly no routine established and the
health visitor has warned me about the evils of nipple confusion.
This will hopefully give me some time to catch up on exciting things
like sleep while his dad feeds him.

good luck, I got 4 hours straight sleep for the first time when I let a
friend give him a bottle mid afternoon, that was fab, its also been useful
when I've been ill, I had food poisoning and didn't eat, so the store in
the freezer was very helpful!

-----------
Anne Rogers

Old August 5th 03, 04:30 PM
Astromum

teapot wrote:
Hooray, second time lucky I got half a small bottle of milk out with
an Avent ISIS.

Well done teapot! That's a lot more than I got for my second try...

The pump etc are in the fridge so I can add to it later, is this ok?

I never did this. I would let each 'harvest' cool separately, then
add it all together and freeze it in single portions. When DS went
to day care, I would just add all in two bigger bottles to bring
to the day care center.

Is there an easy way to lable bottles for the freezer? I have got
some stickers somewhere is that best?

For bottles you can use a rubber band with a label (sticker folded
over the band) that you can replace and just wrap it around the lid.

How does the defrosting thing work? Do you wait for it to defrost
naturally or do you heat it up?

I usually defrosted it in the fridge overnight. Only in emergencies
I would defrost it under a running warm tap, never hot.

To heat milk up do you stick the bottle in a pan of hot or warm water?

Warm water. If it is too hot it will kill all the antibodies.

But keep in mind, this is just my experience, and I did as I
was told by others, using my common sense and the LLL book.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Old August 5th 03, 06:01 PM
Akuvikate

(teapot) wrote in message om...
Hooray, second time lucky I got half a small bottle of milk out with
an Avent ISIS. Now I have a few questions, hope you are a patient
lot...

Yay!

The pump etc are in the fridge so I can add to it later, is this ok?

From what I've seen here in MKB, this is kosher.

Is there an easy way to lable bottles for the freezer? I have got
some stickers somewhere is that best?

I spoze that should work. Depending on how much you want to pump you
may want to buy breast milk storage bags. They're sterilized and you
write on them the date of pumping. If you want to build up a "just in
case" freezer stash it'd take up a lot less room that way.

How does the defrosting thing work? Do you wait for it to defrost
naturally or do you heat it up?

We try to remember to move a bag to the fridge after we've given her a
bottle so that there'll be some defrosted when we need it. Or at
least the day before we need it we move it to the fridge. Otherwise
we need to defrost it in warm water, which takes forever.

To heat milk up do you stick the bottle in a pan of hot or warm water?

Yep. Since we were safety concious and turned down the water heater
it can be kind of slow to use hot tap water alone -- depending on how
hungry she is we either warm it up in tap water or heat the water up
on the stove just a bit.

Moo is 8 weeks old and the idea is to give him milk in a cup rather
than a bottle as we have absolutly no routine established and the
health visitor has warned me about the evils of nipple confusion.
This will hopefully give me some time to catch up on exciting things
like sleep while his dad feeds him.

Whatever seems right to you, but just to point out that your health
visitor sounds like she's taking a *very* conservative approach as far
as nipple confusion goes. Most folks say after the first month it's
reasonably safe to introduce a bottle and keep an eye on her latch
after she takes it.

Another suggestion -- until she's reliably taking bottles/cups, you
may want to just give an ounce at a time. Bug took her first bottle
beautifully, but then refused the next few. I hated to let that milk
go to waste. She's now back to slurping them down happily (which
means DH and I can leave her with grandma and grandpa for our first
post-Bug date -- it's our anniversary tonight!).

Last point -- if you're anything like me, the first few times your
bloke feeds her the last thing you'll be able to do is sleep! Bug's
been taking bottles once or twice a week for 4 weeks now and I'm just
now losing my need to hover around DH or grandma to make sure
everything's going OK. Try not to do that the first time though,
because some babies refuse anything but the real thing if they know
it's nearby.

Good luck -- let us know how it goes!

Kate
and the Bug, June 8 2003
Old August 5th 03, 07:55 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

teapot wrote:

The pump etc are in the fridge so I can add to it later, is this ok?

I have, if I was going to add to the same bottle the same day.

To heat milk up do you stick the bottle in a pan of hot or warm water?

We've got a thermos thingy that heats water to tea-brewing
temperature and holds it there. It's probably as hot as our
tap water gets. We fill a coffee mug with that water, then
plop the bottle in. Sometimes it takes two mugfuls to heat
the bottle through.

Phoebe

Old August 7th 03, 08:24 PM
K.B.

Can you put the Gerber bags on the pump? I have Medela that go right onto
the pump and you don't have to transfer milk. I have a coupon for Gerber and
want to try it.
Kris
"Rob and Laura" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
I was told that you should not pump, store and than re add to it again.
I store mine in Gerber breastmilk storage bags, you can write right on

them
with the date etc. they work great.
As far as freezing them goes, I Would take it out and let it unthaw at

room
temperature, I never heated it up or anything. I was also told to do this.

--
Laura
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

m...

Old August 8th 03, 09:31 AM
Lara

teapot wrote:

[Isis]
I am only rinsing the pump under hot water after
boiling it for the first time. I intend to sterilize it once a week
with the cup. Whats the worst that can happen if we don't sterilize
properly?

Healthy baby, right? (not immunosuppressed, very prem, or otherwise
predisposed to opportunistic infections)? If not, ignore me.

I've only boiled my Isis once - before first use. My Medela pump parts
were last boiled months ago. I rinse between uses (or sometimes, just
put the whole assembly in the fridge); and run everything through the
dishwasher once a day.

Lara
EPing for Luke, nearly ten months
Old August 24th 03, 05:23 AM

I had been browsing on eBay and noticed that someone had something for sale
that included an adapter for the Playtex bottles from a pump. the only way
to purchase one is in a whole kit. well, I didn't need any of that other
stuff, so I called Playtex to find out how I could purchase them without the
kit and they said they would send me one complementarily! I then said that
I double-pump, and was it possible to get 2? I was willing to pay for them.
well, a few DAYS later, I got in the mail 2 sets of pump to Playtex
disposable bottle adaptors! THANKS PLAYTEX!
--
Edith
oht nak

"K.B." wrote in message
[...]