Hospital policies! Any suggestions? I need advice.

Old February 4th 04, 06:02 PM
Dawn Lawson

Default Hospital policies! Any suggestions? I need advice.

A&G&K wrote:

I wish we were closer - I'd look after the twins for the duration!
Gee, I don't know what to say, but could they maybe induce you if your
cervix is starting to open?

Not a good idea to start the intervention cycle if you're trying to
avoid a c-sect, especially a repeat in a hospital that is obviously
enamoured of intervening.

Dawn

Old February 4th 04, 06:10 PM
Belphoebe

Leslie wrote:

My mother is 5'3" and my dad is 6'4" and big boned. I was the first
and was 10 lbs. 3 oz. Back then, they didn't section at the drop of
a hat the way they do now. I also had an enormous head. My mom had
no problems delivering me.

I'm 5'7", and DH is 6'5". When I was pregnant, people would sometimes say,
"You're going to have a big baby because your husband is such a big guy."
But one of the OBs at the practice I went to told us that our own
birthweights were better a predictor of our baby's birthweight. Mine was 7
lbs even, DH's was 7lbs 3 oz, and DS was 6 lbs 14 oz.

I did have a c/s, unexpectedly, but it had nothing to do with DS's size or
mine.
--
Belphoebe

Old February 4th 04, 06:12 PM
Circe

Irene wrote:
DeliciousTruffles wrote in
message ...
I talked to my neighbour and she will watch the twins until my FIL
arrives! She said she'll even take a day off work!!! What an
absolute doll! YAY!!!!!!! :-)

I am so relieved. :-)

Thank goodness - she sounds wonderful! I hope everything else goes
smoothly!

Yep, this sounds terrific, Brigitte. I'm so pleased for you. Now we'll just
cross everything for a happy birth. Woohoo!
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [23 mos.] mom)

Financing for "5" years -- car dealership sign

Mommy: I call you "baby" because I love you.
Julian (age 4): Oh! All right, Mommy baby.

Old February 4th 04, 06:24 PM
Leslie

one of the OBs at the practice I went to told us that our own
birthweights were better a predictor of our baby's birthweight.

That's interesting, and would explain my history of gargantuan babies, since I
was so large myself. Seems like it would be a better plan, too!

Leslie
Old February 4th 04, 10:34 PM
DeliciousTruffles

A&G&K wrote:

Gee, I don't know what to say, but could they maybe induce you if your
cervix is starting to open?

They won't induce me at this hospital (nor would I let them) because I
am a VBAC. This hospital is a regional one not a tertiary so they are
not really equipped to handle a true emergency c-section (operate in a
couple of minutes) due to a rupture. Artifical inducement increases the
risk of uterine rupture and increases your odds of a c-section.
Something I kind of want to avoid. ;-)

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old February 4th 04, 10:57 PM
A&G&K

A&G&K wrote:

Gee, I don't know what to say, but could they maybe induce you if your
cervix is starting to open?

They won't induce me at this hospital (nor would I let them) because I
am a VBAC. This hospital is a regional one not a tertiary so they are
not really equipped to handle a true emergency c-section (operate in a
couple of minutes) due to a rupture. Artifical inducement increases the
risk of uterine rupture and increases your odds of a c-section.
Something I kind of want to avoid. ;-)

Fair enough ... where I was, the Ob and anaesthetist are there most of the
time anyway and the theatre was downstairs ... 5 minutes max time to
emergency c-section if required.
I guess a VBAC makes things a bit dicey anyway in regards to inducing.
Having said that, if I need to be induced again this time (PIH was getting a
bit serious last time), I won't have a problem in agreeing as my body
obviously responds well to it.
Cheers and all the best
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old February 5th 04, 02:12 AM
Chotii

A&G&K wrote:

Gee, I don't know what to say, but could they maybe induce you if your
cervix is starting to open?

They won't induce me at this hospital (nor would I let them) because I
am a VBAC. This hospital is a regional one not a tertiary so they are
not really equipped to handle a true emergency c-section (operate in a
couple of minutes) due to a rupture. Artifical inducement increases the
risk of uterine rupture and increases your odds of a c-section.
Something I kind of want to avoid. ;-)

This raises red flags in my mind. Oh, and flashing lights and warning
claxons:

If they can't handle a true emergency birth, what kind of emergencies CAN
they handle? How about a woman who comes in with a prolapsed cord? How about
non-VBAC women who rupture due to pitocin being cranked up, and the woman
can't feel it due to epidural being in place? How about placental abruption?
Sudden unexplained fetal heart deceleration that doesn't improve?

LOTS of things can go wrong in birth (although obviously this isn't common).
If your hospital can't handle emergency births for VBACs, what makes anybody
think they can handle emergencies for anyone else?

--angela

Old February 5th 04, 02:20 AM
DeliciousTruffles

Chotii wrote:

This raises red flags in my mind. Oh, and flashing lights and warning
claxons:

If they can't handle a true emergency birth, what kind of emergencies CAN
they handle? How about a woman who comes in with a prolapsed cord? How about
non-VBAC women who rupture due to pitocin being cranked up, and the woman
can't feel it due to epidural being in place? How about placental abruption?
Sudden unexplained fetal heart deceleration that doesn't improve?

LOTS of things can go wrong in birth (although obviously this isn't common).
If your hospital can't handle emergency births for VBACs, what makes anybody
think they can handle emergencies for anyone else?

Welcome to the realities of the BC health system in rural areas.
Unfortunately, it's all we have. :-(

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old February 5th 04, 04:46 AM
Nikki

Chotii wrote:

If they can't handle a true emergency birth, what kind of emergencies
CAN they handle? How about a woman who comes in with a prolapsed
cord? How about non-VBAC women who rupture due to pitocin being
cranked up, and the woman can't feel it due to epidural being in
place? How about placental abruption? Sudden unexplained fetal heart
deceleration that doesn't improve?

When I was pg with Hunter I got a lot of flack for going to the next biggest
city to give birth. I was about an hour from where I went and about 25
minutes from my local hospital. Anesthesiologists were only there on
certain days - epidurals weren't generally an option. I think the did
scheduled sections. Anyway if there isn't time to go the 45 minutes by
ambulance (over to another hospital) they took a helicopter. To be fair,
everyone I've talked to has had a good experience there.

If I have another baby I'll have to go there (40 minutes)as I'm a good 1.5
away from the other city now and my insurance won't cover my local hospital.
Actually, even if a family member needs to be hospitalized...we'd have to go
out of town :-(

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Hospital Policies Nic H Pregnancy 4 May 28th 04 07:56 AM
can someone give me some advice? Krystle N Pregnancy 42 January 21st 04 03:38 PM
Birth position at hospital with chiropractors (Carl Cleveland III, DC) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 October 24th 03 05:55 PM
Midwives & Home birth vs. an OB & hospital ? LSU Grad of '89 Pregnancy 54 October 12th 03 09:26 PM
Hospital residencies for nurses and chiropractors... Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 1 August 23rd 03 06:18 PM