Bragging Time

Old February 24th 04, 08:27 PM
New York Jen

Default Bragging Time

I took Laszlo for his 2 year well toddler check up today. He's just under
32 pounds and they couldn't get an accurate height reading because he
wouldn't cooperate, but the shorter end of what he measured was 34 1/4
inches and that puts him in the 50th percentile.

The pediatrician said that his behavior at parties and at Gymboree is
totally normal, which I already knew but it's nice to hear it from the
doctor. Laszlo prefers going to Target or Kohl's than to a party or gym
class. He really loves to sit down with a book or a puzzle or some
crayons - so we just know he's more cognitively stimulated than other
stuff...he gets very overstimulated in party places...especially when people
get in his face. Gets that from me I guess. :-)

I told the doctor about how he knows his whole alphabet (not the song, he
knows all the letters, recognizes them all upper case and most lower case -
since 20 months), how he knows all his shapes (including octagon - although
if it has 5 or 6 or 7 sides it's still an octagon) and that he knows all his
colors and numbers 1-10 and some after, but not in order. He said that he
already "passes" the *3* year old check up for that stuff.

DH was worried about the boy's diet, but the doc said at this age they are
typically so picky that pretty much anything we can get in him is ok. He
does eat some veggies and protein and we limit the sweets as much as you can
for a 2 year old who knows what M&M's are and where they are located in
every store that carries them! We're also going to switch to 2% milk per
his suggestion.

I suppose it's possible I'm raising a lil nerd, but that's fine with me.
Everyone is different and he couldn't be more perfect in my eyes if he was
the biggest party monster in the world! I just wish my friends would stop
trying to come up with suggestions about why my kid doesn't enjoy being in
class or why he doesn't like parties...and what I can "do to fix it" or what
the "trigger" is. It would be nice if people could understand that some
kids just don't dig that sort of thing. I like to think it means Laszlo is
more discriminating than most...that it takes more to engage him than a
singing clown, but that's also just my way of rationalizing it. We don't go
to class that often, just once in a while now and I tell him before we get
that that we'll leave as soon as he wants to. The party season is over, as
he's the youngest of all his little friends, so that's something we don't
have to worry about until next year. Whew.

He's also got a wicked sense of humor, but I think that just comes with the
age. Nothing gets me more than that giggle...I could listen to it for
hours.

Ok, no more bragging. :-)

- Jen, very proud momma to 2 year old Laszlo Cooper and Lily Parker, due
3/13

Old February 24th 04, 09:06 PM
JennP

"New York Jen" wrote in message
et...
I told the doctor about how he knows his whole alphabet (not the song, he
knows all the letters, recognizes them all upper case and most lower

case -
since 20 months), how he knows all his shapes (including octagon -

although
if it has 5 or 6 or 7 sides it's still an octagon) and that he knows all

his
colors and numbers 1-10 and some after, but not in order. He said that he
already "passes" the *3* year old check up for that stuff.

Congrats to Lazlo, sincerely, and this isn't a flame to you, but your ped
thinks that all of that is three year old check up stuff? Hardly.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old February 24th 04, 09:30 PM
Emily

JennP wrote:

"New York Jen" wrote in message
et...

I told the doctor about how he knows his whole alphabet (not the song, he
knows all the letters, recognizes them all upper case and most lower

case -

since 20 months), how he knows all his shapes (including octagon -

although

if it has 5 or 6 or 7 sides it's still an octagon) and that he knows all

his

colors and numbers 1-10 and some after, but not in order. He said that he
already "passes" the *3* year old check up for that stuff.

Congrats to Lazlo, sincerely, and this isn't a flame to you, but your ped
thinks that all of that is three year old check up stuff? Hardly.

Well, the check up stuff is meant to catch those whose progress is
truly worrisome, isn't it?

--
Emily
mom to Toby 5/1/02
#2 EDD 7/19/04
Old February 24th 04, 09:50 PM
Nikki

New York Jen wrote:
I took Laszlo for his 2 year well toddler check up today. .............

He said that he already "passes" the
*3* year old check up for that stuff.

Wow Jen, He sounds really amazing :-)

I suppose it's possible I'm raising a lil nerd, but that's fine with
me. Everyone is different and he couldn't be more perfect in my eyes
if he was the biggest party monster in the world!

Yes, and really...party monsters are over-rated, lol.

Congrats to Laszlo!

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old February 24th 04, 09:52 PM
C P

Congrats to you & Laszlo, Jen! I"ve always loved his name, and I love the
name you've chosen for your daughter. I've missed hanging out in this ng,
but I haven't been up to socializing...and I'm a little jealous about folks
having more babies - LOL - I could, physically, but I can't, mentally. :-)
My choice, I know, but I'm human enough to be annoyed at myself for what I
know is the right decision for ME, just not a happy one.

:-)

Anyway, Congrats again, and have fun with that Boy o Yours!!

Corinne
AP Mama to Brighid Richenda, 06/23/01

Old February 24th 04, 09:55 PM
JennP

"Emily" wrote in message

Well, the check up stuff is meant to catch those whose progress is
truly worrisome, isn't it?

I guess. I probably overreacted to the ped's comment and he/she probably
meant it tongue-in-cheek.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old February 24th 04, 09:58 PM
New York Jen

"JennP" wrote in message

[...]

Perhaps not 3 year old achievements, but he may have said it to suggest that
he's well ahead of most of his peers (which I already know from the peers we
hang out with). Most of them don't recognize more than a couple of letters
and certainly can't make the sounds associated, etc. Several don't know
their colors and some aren't verbal at all enough to know if they know those
things or not.

Perhaps you could have said that a little more nicely as well, eh?

Old February 24th 04, 10:01 PM
New York Jen

"C P" wrote in message
Congrats to you & Laszlo, Jen! I"ve always loved his name, and I love the
name you've chosen for your daughter. I've missed hanging out in this ng,
but I haven't been up to socializing...and I'm a little jealous about

folks
having more babies - LOL - I could, physically, but I can't, mentally. :-)
My choice, I know, but I'm human enough to be annoyed at myself for what I
know is the right decision for ME, just not a happy one.

:-)

Anyway, Congrats again, and have fun with that Boy o Yours!!

Corinne
AP Mama to Brighid Richenda, 06/23/01

Aw thanks! Yeah, it's taking the toll already on me mentally and she's not
even here yet! Not that I'm having second thoughts, just sheer terror about
having 2! I'm mostly nervous for how Laszlo will handle it and how I'll
handle both of them on little to no sleep. I know the first few weeks alone
will be quite challenging and I'm trying to prepare as much as possible.

Good to see you here!

- Jen

Old February 24th 04, 10:12 PM
DeliciousTruffles

New York Jen wrote:

I'm mostly nervous for how Laszlo will handle it

I think the best thing I did was have Isabella nursing when Katerina and
Joshua met her.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=782084

~ Harriet Martineau

Old February 24th 04, 11:09 PM
elizabeth emerald

[...]

that's so great how well he is doing. you are just a wonderful mum for
accepting him exactly for who he is & letting him do what he wants to do
(within reason of course). hopefully your friends will understand that! i
hope i do the same as you with DS as much as i can.
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS - born 20-aug-02