A question about teeth and a 5 yr old

Old March 12th 04, 09:41 PM
Sophie

Default A question about teeth and a 5 yr old

My daughter (aged 5.8 yrs) just came up to me and said "look at my new
tooth" and opened her mouth to show me a permanent tooth behind one of her
baby teeth (bottom, front tooth). Is this normal? She looks like a shark
with a second row of teeth! She brushes her teeth and uses Act mouthwash
every morning and night. She does it herself so I can't say I've looked in
her mouth in a while. I was surprised by how much the new tooth has grown
in. My dentist's office is closed. What will they do? Will the baby tooth
fall out on its own, will they want to pull it out?? Will her permanent
teeth move into the space where the baby teeth are now or will be teeth be
far back, where this permanent tooth is now??

I'm sure it's no big deal but it's kind of freakish to me - lol.

Thanks,
Sophie
#4 due 7/18/04

Old March 12th 04, 09:59 PM
Marie

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:41:08 -0500, "Sophie"
wrote:
My daughter (aged 5.8 yrs) just came up to me and said "look at my new
tooth" and opened her mouth to show me a permanent tooth behind one of her
baby teeth (bottom, front tooth). Is this normal? She looks like a shark
with a second row of teeth! She brushes her teeth and uses Act mouthwash
every morning and night. She does it herself so I can't say I've looked in
her mouth in a while. I was surprised by how much the new tooth has grown
in. My dentist's office is closed. What will they do? Will the baby tooth
fall out on its own, will they want to pull it out?? Will her permanent
teeth move into the space where the baby teeth are now or will be teeth be
far back, where this permanent tooth is now??

It does look freaky! With both my older girls, I think when the
permanent teeth come in before the baby teeth are out, they must
loosen the baby teeth. The perm. ones don't come in too far before the
baby ones fall out. Did you check to see if the baby tooth is loose at
all? It does sometimes look like the permanent tooth is too far back
but so far they have all grown in where they are supposed to.
Marie

#4 due 7/18/04

It's not unusual, at least in my experience. My 10 yo has a
bicuspid coming in over a top 1 year molar, which is still
in. And the same thing happened with one of her top
incisors. Is the baby tooth wiggly? Call your dentist
Monday to confirm, but I'd suggest having her work on it.
The baby tooth may come out in time, but keep an eye on it -
it may also need a bit of help. (How's that for an
unhelpful answer? g)

Lesley

Old March 12th 04, 10:05 PM
H Schinske

Sophie wrote:

My daughter (aged 5.8 yrs) just came up to me and said "look at my new
tooth" and opened her mouth to show me a permanent tooth behind one of her
baby teeth (bottom, front tooth). Is this normal?

Uncommon but normal, I'm pretty sure. I bet they'll probably want to pull the
baby tooth. My daughter had one pulled and it wasn't too big a deal. They used
nitrous oxide, which bothered me, but she didn't seem to be much worried or in
pain afterwards. She was bored about having to keep cotton in her mouth for a
while, and that kind of thing, but she never got upset.

Nothing terrible's going to happen over the weekend, anyway. My kids have been
through a certain amount of orthodontia and stuff already, and it is just
amazing how quickly the teeth can move around once you give them the right
space.

--Helen
Old March 12th 04, 10:05 PM
Sophie

It does look freaky!

It does! Lol.

With both my older girls, I think when the
permanent teeth come in before the baby teeth are out, they must
loosen the baby teeth. The perm. ones don't come in too far before the
baby ones fall out.
Did you check to see if the baby tooth is loose at
all?

It's not loose.

It does sometimes look like the permanent tooth is too far back
but so far they have all grown in where they are supposed to.
Marie

That's it, the tooth looks so far back. Creepy.

Thanks so much for the reply

Old March 12th 04, 10:06 PM
Sophie

It's not unusual, at least in my experience. My 10 yo has a
bicuspid coming in over a top 1 year molar, which is still
in. And the same thing happened with one of her top
incisors.

I've seen that before, the new tooth coming in in-front of the baby tooth,
but not behind it.

Is the baby tooth wiggly?

Nope, not at all.

Call your dentist
Monday to confirm, but I'd suggest having her work on it.
The baby tooth may come out in time, but keep an eye on it -
it may also need a bit of help. (How's that for an
unhelpful answer? g)

Lesley

Lol - it's as much as I know! That was really what I wondered - if the
dentist would want to pull the tooth.
Creepy looking!

Thanks

#4 due 7/18/04

First, don't panic. Waiting until the dentists office is open next week
won't change a thing.

Second, I HAVE heard of this happening. Sometimes, for whatever reason,
the roots of the baby teeth don't disolve the way they are supposed to.
Sometimes -- rarely -- extraction is necessary, but a good dentist will
know how to do this without much trauma.

meh

Old March 12th 04, 10:39 PM
Circe

Sophie wrote:
My daughter (aged 5.8 yrs) just came up to me and said "look at my
new tooth" and opened her mouth to show me a permanent tooth behind
one of her baby teeth (bottom, front tooth). Is this normal? She
looks like a shark with a second row of teeth! She brushes her
teeth and uses Act mouthwash every morning and night. She does it
herself so I can't say I've looked in her mouth in a while. I was
surprised by how much the new tooth has grown in. My dentist's
office is closed. What will they do? Will the baby tooth fall out
on its own, will they want to pull it out?? Will her permanent
teeth move into the space where the baby teeth are now or will be
teeth be far back, where this permanent tooth is now??

I had this problem with my canine teeth, except that my permanent teeth came
down in front of my baby teeth, so that I had "fangs". My dentist did pull
the baby teeth, but that wasn't enough to convince the permanent ones to
move into the space behind them, hence several thousand dollars and years of
orthodontia. I'd say the sooner she gets the baby tooth out so that the
permanent tooth has an opportunity to move into the correct place, the
better. I think we probably waited too long to pull my baby teeth when the
adult canines started coming in, although it may not have made any
difference either way.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [2] mom)

Old March 12th 04, 11:40 PM
Leah Adezio

Sophie wrote in message
It's not unusual, at least in my experience. My 10 yo has a
bicuspid coming in over a top 1 year molar, which is still
in. And the same thing happened with one of her top
incisors.

I've seen that before, the new tooth coming in in-front of the baby tooth,
but not behind it.

Is the baby tooth wiggly?

Nope, not at all.

Call your dentist
Monday to confirm, but I'd suggest having her work on it.
The baby tooth may come out in time, but keep an eye on it -
it may also need a bit of help. (How's that for an
unhelpful answer? g)

Lesley

Lol - it's as much as I know! That was really what I wondered - if the
dentist would want to pull the tooth.

He might. Normally, baby teeth fall out because they're being pushed up and
out by the permanent teeth. My eldest's first 4 bottom teeth came up behind
the baby teeth and since the baby teeth weren't loosened at all, all 4 had
to be extracted.

Once they were gone, the permanent ones gradually moved forward into place
and all his other teeth came in without incident.

I'd see the dentist on this one....just to see what he or she says.

Leah
Creepy looking!

Thanks

Old March 13th 04, 12:05 AM
Sophie

Uncommon but normal, I'm pretty sure. I bet they'll probably want to pull
the
baby tooth. My daughter had one pulled and it wasn't too big a deal. They

used
nitrous oxide, which bothered me, but she didn't seem to be much worried

or in
pain afterwards. She was bored about having to keep cotton in her mouth

for a
while, and that kind of thing, but she never got upset.

Nothing terrible's going to happen over the weekend, anyway. My kids have

been
through a certain amount of orthodontia and stuff already, and it is just
amazing how quickly the teeth can move around once you give them the right
space.

--Helen

Okay, phew, doesn't sound so bad. Thanks.