Stubborn 4 year old boy.

Old February 25th 08, 10:15 PM posted to misc.kids
Dom

Default Update: Stubborn 4 year old boy.

We took our youngest back to the speech therapist yesterday for a
follow up. This time, we gave him lots of encouragment and support
before hand during the week. He told us that he thinks he is not "big
enough to say words". We told him that is was Ok, and that he was
very brave, and that we loved him, and there were no wrong answers.
We also tried to get him to look forward to the session, saying that
he would get to play fun games with the "nice lady". I think the
clincher was letting him choose some of the terms. I asked him if he
wanted me, and/or mummy, and/or his brother to be there, and he chose
just his mum. We also promised him some rewards if he was compliant,
sweets, and his video game. We also made sure he was well rested.

The session went far better than the first attempt. He was obviously
very nervous, fidgeting, and hiding his knees under his shirt, and he
wouldn't sit still. However the therapist did an excellent job. He
only had a short session, and completed half the assesment. From this
its obvious that his sentence structure is behind his age by nearly
18mths. This is probably a symptom of being unable to form the sounds
correctly, so he isn't trying. It makes sense that he acts out, it
must be very frustrating for him, being unable to communicate his
feelings.

When he returned, we gave him lots of praise for being good and told
him he was very brave. We have some homework to do with him before
the next session. I think if we continue giving him encouragement and
support he will continue do well.

Dom.
Old February 25th 08, 11:16 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Default Stubborn 4 year old boy.

toto wrote in
:

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:26:19 -0500, Rosalie B.
wrote:

That's funny. Most kids where I grew up went to private
schools with some kind of uniform. We neither went to
private school nor wore a uniform to school. But even if
we had, and wanted to change so the uniform stayed clean,
my mom would still have had us in dresses. She made a lot
of our clothes - some out of very small amounts of fabric,
especially during WWII.

I still remember my neighbor whose girls wore white dresses
out to play. I never figured out how they managed to play
in our sandbox and stay clean. I am only a bit younger
than you and I wore shorts and pants to play in. The
Catholic school had uniforms, but the public school did not
and I *think* I wore pants to school too in the 50s in New
York State.

i started school (kindy) in Rochester NY in 1959. girls were
not allowed to wear pants, except for snowpants & those were
removed upon arrival at the classroom. we were not supposed to
wear shorts under our dresses either, but i did. i wasn't
going to curtail my fun on the playground because someone
might see my undies.
i was not allowed to wear pants to school until winter 1970
(high school), when we were grudgingly given permission to
wear trousers until April. obviously none of us were going to
be good little girls & go back to dresses after that, so the
dress code was changed all the way down to grade school.
the whole 'girls wear dresses' thing was stupid from the git-
go.
lee hated dresses. took both parents to get me into one from
age 2

--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old February 25th 08, 11:29 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Dom wrote:
[...]

Great.

That not only works for 4 year olds, but that works for just about
anyone, child, adult or an adult who acts like a child.

Jeff
Old February 26th 08, 01:30 AM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , enigma says...

toto wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

I started school (kindy) in Abilene, TX in 1959. girls were not allowed to wear
pants, except for...except for.... naw we never heard of snowpants

we were not supposed to
wear shorts under our dresses either, but i did. i wasn't
going to curtail my fun on the playground because someone
might see my undies.
i was not allowed to wear pants to school until winter 1970
(high school), when we were grudgingly given permission to
wear trousers until April. obviously none of us were going to
be good little girls & go back to dresses after that, so the
dress code was changed all the way down to grade school.
the whole 'girls wear dresses' thing was stupid from the git-
go.

In 1970, we had a high school "strike" where most of the girls went to school
one day in trousers. Where I learned that you can break the rules if a massive
enough amount of people do it with you. Yes, they did relent and allow slacks
from then on.

lee hated dresses. took both parents to get me into one from
age 2

I hated miniskirts. Don't mind dresses too much, but I'm much more comfortable
in pants.

Banty

Old February 26th 08, 07:46 AM posted to misc.kids
Penny Gaines[_2_]

Dom wrote:
[snip]
The session went far better than the first attempt. He was obviously
very nervous, fidgeting, and hiding his knees under his shirt, and he
wouldn't sit still. However the therapist did an excellent job. He
only had a short session, and completed half the assesment. From this
its obvious that his sentence structure is behind his age by nearly
18mths. This is probably a symptom of being unable to form the sounds
correctly, so he isn't trying. It makes sense that he acts out, it
must be very frustrating for him, being unable to communicate his
feelings.

When he returned, we gave him lots of praise for being good and told
him he was very brave. We have some homework to do with him before
the next session. I think if we continue giving him encouragement and
support he will continue do well.

Thanks for letting us know: it sounds like the session went a lot better
then the first.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old February 26th 08, 02:23 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

"Stephanie" wrote in message
Well I come from the spanking generation. It seems to me, that those of us
who were hit most often and most severely (whcih does not include me thank
goodness) were more likely to become *real* trouble later.

I was abused as a child. My mother would spank me with whatever she had
available, a stick, ruler, phone. She definitely lived by the spare the rod
thing. However, I didn't turn violent when I got older and I didn't get into
a lot of trouble. I think the difference for me was that even though I was
abused, deep down I felt loved.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 26th 08, 02:35 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Sue wrote:
"Stephanie" wrote in message
Well I come from the spanking generation. It seems to me, that those of us
who were hit most often and most severely (whcih does not include me thank
goodness) were more likely to become *real* trouble later.

I was abused as a child. My mother would spank me with whatever she had
available, a stick, ruler, phone. She definitely lived by the spare the rod
thing. However, I didn't turn violent when I got older and I didn't get into
a lot of trouble. I think the difference for me was that even though I was
abused, deep down I felt loved.

But kids on whom corporal punishment is used are more likely
abuse their kids.
Old February 26th 08, 02:40 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"Sue" wrote:

"Stephanie" wrote in message
Well I come from the spanking generation. It seems to me, that those of us
who were hit most often and most severely (whcih does not include me thank
goodness) were more likely to become *real* trouble later.

I was abused as a child. My mother would spank me with whatever she had
available, a stick, ruler, phone. She definitely lived by the spare the rod
thing. However, I didn't turn violent when I got older and I didn't get into
a lot of trouble. I think the difference for me was that even though I was
abused, deep down I felt loved.

I was spanked also with various items (one ploy that my mom would use
was to have me go and get a switch), but I would NOT say that I was
abused, and I resent that designation being applied to my parents. I
didn't do much of it because either it wasn't necessary (dd#1) or
wasn't effective (#2).

Not because I thought I was abused.
Old February 26th 08, 04:30 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:23:34 -0500, Sue wrote:

"Stephanie" wrote in message
Well I come from the spanking generation. It seems to me, that those of us
who were hit most often and most severely (whcih does not include me thank
goodness) were more likely to become *real* trouble later.

I was abused as a child. My mother would spank me with whatever she had
available, a stick, ruler, phone. She definitely lived by the spare the rod
thing. However, I didn't turn violent when I got older and I didn't get into
a lot of trouble. I think the difference for me was that even though I was
abused, deep down I felt loved.

I think most abusers do love their kids. They just can't control their
temper.
Old February 26th 08, 04:37 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
I was spanked also with various items (one ploy that my mom would use
was to have me go and get a switch), but I would NOT say that I was
abused, and I resent that designation being applied to my parents. I
didn't do much of it because either it wasn't necessary (dd#1) or
wasn't effective (#2).

Not because I thought I was abused.

I WAS abused Rosalie. Doesn't mean that I was saying anyone who spanked was
abused. My mom had mental problems and she didn't know any better. She also
had anger problems that she took out on me.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)