16 weeks not sleeping again

Old September 29th 03, 08:31 AM
teapot

Default 16 weeks not sleeping again

Although I explained very clearly the benefits of sleeping so his
parents are not big grumpy messes in the morning, Moo boy just didnt
listen and has been awake and grizzly every hour and a half for the
past 2 nights. He doesnt sleep for long stretches during the day
either. I though he might be cold so I have put the heating on and he
is in bed with me, it made no difference. I am sure he is not getting
too hot either. He is not particuarly hungry when he wakes up, he just
wants a snack. As soon as he gets a snack he goes straight back to
sleep again so it could be worse.

This is fine, and I could catch up in the day usually but I start work
next week, only one day a week but I am supposed to be teaching and I
can barely string a sentence together.

He is chewey and drooley so I think it might be teeth moving again,
I'd apreciate anyones ideas.

teapot
Old September 29th 03, 09:13 AM
Herself

teapot wrote:

He is chewey and drooley so I think it might be teeth moving again,
I'd apreciate anyones ideas.

Calpol to the rescue!! :-)

Sounds like the pain is waking him up, and he's used to being nursed to
sleep, so he waits for that.

Good luck...are we ever going to see pics of the MooBoy?
--
'Tis Herself
Old September 29th 03, 03:28 PM
Melissa

It seems that quite a number of babies do this trick. DD was sleeping with
only one awakening each night (at 3 a.m.) and waking at 6 a.m., but has now
been waking randomly with a final awakening at 5 a.m. Ugh! We're saying
prayers to return to her old schedule or at least some schedule that doesn't
have me see 5 a.m.

Worse, she slept through the night six nights in a row at three months
(she's now 5.5 months). Tricky baby!

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

om...

Old September 29th 03, 03:36 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

When a baby wakes frequently, a baby who has been in the habit of
sleeping longer stretches, it usually means the baby is EITHER
uncomfortable, OR is about to go through a new phase of development.

If the problem is discomfort, you can either just dose the baby with
infant pain medication (ie tylenol) or you can go in to your ped. to see
if the problem is something that needs attention (such as an ear
infection). It could easily be teething (pain meds or just let him
tough it out), a sore throat from the change of seasons (put on the heat
and the HOT air humidifier -- cold air ones tend to gather mildew etc.)
or something like that. If it goes on longer, it could be an ear ache
or a mild infection that requires intervention from a doctor.

And, if it's a developmental marker, the only thing you can do is wait
it out. (This happens often when they learn to roll over (but not back)
or stand (but not sit again). Annoying, but it passes.

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles

Old September 30th 03, 01:45 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

teapot wrote:

Although I explained very clearly the benefits of sleeping so his
parents are not big grumpy messes in the morning, Moo boy just didnt
listen and has been awake and grizzly every hour and a half for the
past 2 nights.

I see Moo boy and Caterpillar have become psychic friends.
We're on the "every hour from 7pm to 1am, every two hours
for the remainder" nursing schedule. And her night-nursings
are just snacks, followed by 15 minutes of kicking me in the
belly, followed by fitful sleeping.

Beth's suggestion (big development in the works) makes some
sense to me, since she can roll back to front, but then just
yells and yells. (And is unmotivated to even try rolling
back, because if she'd wanted to lie that way, she wouldn't
have rolled over in the first place.)

Caterpillar is also quite the Drool-pillar, everything
within sight must go in her mouth, but I don't think it's
teeth quite yet, since she's been that way for more than a
month with no other tooth-related indications.

Phoebe and the "all the exersaucers look delicous to me,
Mom, so you can pick" Caterpillar, 4 months tomorrow
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old September 30th 03, 04:22 AM
Dawn Lawson

teapot wrote:

Although I explained very clearly the benefits of sleeping so his
parents are not big grumpy messes in the morning, Moo boy just didnt
listen and has been awake and grizzly every hour and a half for the
past 2 nights.

No help, but we went thru hell here between 4-5 mo, with sleep...between
him awakening as you say, every 1.5-2 hrs, me not sleeping....it was nasty.

BUT it went away, and by 6mo he was better and by 10 mo was nearly
sleeping thru.

Dawn

Old September 30th 03, 12:26 PM
azure

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Audrey's been doing this to me on odd occasions. I've been ill lately and
it was causing me a lot more grief than it normally would, but it did not
occur to me in the middle of the night it was probably her teeth bothering
her, until the Health Nurse suggested it. We use a homeopathic teething
relief too mostly, but last night I bit the bullet because I was ill again
and tried paracetamol after she woke the first time after an hours sleep,
and she slept for 5 hours instead of 2ish, and that was enough to
rejuvenate. My nipples always felt oddly "chomped" after this sort of
night, even though at the time I am not aware of any chomping. If it
happens again I'll try the homeopathic stuff during the night.

Poor little poppets, I think the first year is a bit cruel body wise.

Cheers,

Leah

---

Old September 30th 03, 12:58 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

Phoebe & Allyson wrote:

teapot wrote:

[...]

At DS's 4 month appointment yesterday, the ped told me that 30% of
babies do not sleep through the night at 4 months. Who knew that *all*
the mothers are on this newsgroup ?

DS is up to 2 1/2 - 3 hours. He did do a horrendous every hour
awakening and then the next day, he started to roll from back to front
(and fuss soon thereafter).

Jeanne

Old October 1st 03, 06:02 AM
Irrational Number

teapot wrote:
Although I explained very clearly the benefits of sleeping so his
parents are not big grumpy messes in the morning, Moo boy just didnt
listen and has been awake and grizzly every hour and a half for the
past 2 nights. He doesnt sleep for long stretches during the day
either. I though he might be cold so I have put the heating on and he
is in bed with me, it made no difference. I am sure he is not getting
too hot either. He is not particuarly hungry when he wakes up, he just
wants a snack. As soon as he gets a snack he goes straight back to
sleep again so it could be worse.

Sorry, I'm no help. I just wanted to say that
since Pillbug has _never_ slept through the
night, I don't even know how to do it in the
first place!

-- Anita --
Pillbug, 3 1/2 months

--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE