15 month checkup

Old September 22nd 06, 03:50 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Rebecca Jo

Default 15 month checkup

Went in for shots & checkup today. He ended up not getting the MMR because
she was concerned about his allergies & we decided just to wait a bit.

Alexander only gained 7 ounces in the last 3 months (he now weighs 21lbs
14oz) and that has her concerned. She wants me to add more fatty foods to
his diet. I still nurse him on demand (which is quite a lot during the day &
also at night). We can't give him milk products because he is very allergic
(if you put it on his skin he gets hives like crazy) so she suggested high
calorie foods like avocado. He's not really thrilled with avocado but I can
try mixing it with something else and see if that helps.

He grew 1 inch, so he is now 32 1/2 and his head circumference is 19 3/4.

--
Rebecca Jo
Mama to Alexander 6/6/05

Old September 22nd 06, 03:52 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Rebecca Jo

Whoops. Meant to add that the doctor scolded me for night nursing and told
me that if I let him nurse at night he's going to get cavities. She said
that "oriental people" used to let their kids nurse at night and you would
look in their mouths and see "tiny black nubs" where their teeth should be.

Everything I've read indicates that unless there is a sign of a problem,
like the child getting a lot of cavities, it is okay to nightnurse.

rebecca

Old September 22nd 06, 06:06 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Melissa

Wow your experience sounds so much like mine! At Connor's 15 month checkup
he actually hadn't gained so much as an ounce from his last checkup (he was
holding steady at 23 lbs 12 oz). He also has milk allergies and so drinks
soy milk and nurses. He only nurses a couple of times a day though (which
my ped gives me crap about because I'm also pregnant and she's sure I'm
depriving that baby of nutrients). Anyway she did say though not to worry
about Connor's growth because kids have different growth curves and as long
as he's eating well, meeting developmental milestones, etc.

If you have a Wild Oats or other natural food store near you there are a lot
of dairy alternative products (like soy or rice cheeses etc) that don't
taste too badly especially if you cook them into things.

Melissa Walton
Mom to Connor born 05/24/05

Old September 22nd 06, 06:20 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Rebecca Jo

"Melissa" wrote:

Wow your experience sounds so much like mine! At Connor's 15 month
checkup he actually hadn't gained so much as an ounce from his last
checkup (he was holding steady at 23 lbs 12 oz). He also has milk
allergies and so drinks soy milk and nurses. He only nurses a couple of
times a day though (which my ped gives me crap about because I'm also
pregnant and she's sure I'm depriving that baby of nutrients). Anyway she
did say though not to worry about Connor's growth because kids have
different growth curves and as long as he's eating well, meeting
developmental milestones, etc.

nods. She seemed way more concerned about his weight gain than I am. I'm
definitely going to add some more high-calorie foods but I'm not going to
obsess about it.

If you have a Wild Oats or other natural food store near you there are a
lot of dairy alternative products (like soy or rice cheeses etc) that
don't taste too badly especially if you cook them into things.

Yeah, he drinks the enriched rice milk with milk right now. I need to find
more ways to increase his calorie intake. We end up eating a lot of chicken
and rice. She suggested sweet potatoes, which he loves, so I'm going to give
him a lot of that from now on too.

Glad I'm not the only one!

rebecca

Old September 22nd 06, 08:14 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
CY

Total hooey about the night nursing. I had a doctor once tell me that I
needed to completely wean my 2 yr old because she'd have cavities. Doctors
are SO misinformed about bf'ing it's scary.

Old September 22nd 06, 09:25 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Rebecca Jo

"CY" wrote:

Total hooey about the night nursing. I had a doctor once tell me that I
needed to completely wean my 2 yr old because she'd have cavities.
Doctors are SO misinformed about bf'ing it's scary.

yeah. it's pretty irritating to deal with.

rj

Old September 22nd 06, 09:26 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jess

"Rebecca Jo" wrote in message
Went in for shots & checkup today. He ended up not getting the MMR because
she was concerned about his allergies & we decided just to wait a bit.

Alexander only gained 7 ounces in the last 3 months (he now weighs 21lbs
14oz) and that has her concerned. She wants me to add more fatty foods to
his diet. I still nurse him on demand (which is quite a lot during the day
& also at night). We can't give him milk products because he is very
allergic (if you put it on his skin he gets hives like crazy) so she
suggested high calorie foods like avocado. He's not really thrilled with
avocado but I can try mixing it with something else and see if that helps.

He grew 1 inch, so he is now 32 1/2 and his head circumference is 19 3/4.

You'll want to doublecheck (I'm not tottering my way into the kitchen at the
moment, sorry), but I think Pediasure makes a lactose free drink, and we
started doing a few of those a day with Sproglette when her weight wouldn't
respond. We're down to 1 a day from 3 or 4 a day and she's something
like...26 pounds and 33 inches at 28 months? Sounds about right. They're a
couple hundred calories a bottle, and they've got a lot of good stuff and
decent flavors. Sproglette's favorite is the banana cream.

Jess

Old September 22nd 06, 09:32 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Rebecca Jo

"Jess" wrote:

You'll want to doublecheck (I'm not tottering my way into the kitchen at
the moment, sorry), but I think Pediasure makes a lactose free drink, and
we started doing a few of those a day with Sproglette when her weight
wouldn't respond. We're down to 1 a day from 3 or 4 a day and she's
something like...26 pounds and 33 inches at 28 months? Sounds about right.
They're a couple hundred calories a bottle, and they've got a lot of good
stuff and decent flavors. Sproglette's favorite is the banana cream.

Jess

His milk allergy isn't a lactose problem. He's allergic to the proteins in
the milk, so lactose-free milk still isn't safe.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

rj

Old September 22nd 06, 11:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jess

"Rebecca Jo" wrote in message
His milk allergy isn't a lactose problem. He's allergic to the proteins in
the milk, so lactose-free milk still isn't safe.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Still might give them a look, see what options you have. There's also
someone else here that's the Goddess of spiking calories, but damned if I
can remember who at the moment.

Jess

Old September 23rd 06, 12:29 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Rebecca Jo

"Jess" wrote:

Still might give them a look, see what options you have. There's also
someone else here that's the Goddess of spiking calories, but damned if I
can remember who at the moment.

Jess

Yeah, I checked out their website. All of their products have milk in them.

Jenrose had good luck, I remember. I should look up some of her posts & see
what she tried besides coconut milk.

Thanks!
rj

2 month checkup! V. Breastfeeding 7 February 4th 06 07:10 PM
4 month checkup Sarah Vaughan Breastfeeding 1 November 3rd 05 08:03 AM
A month versus 28 days Simpledog Child Support 10 December 31st 04 06:17 PM
two month checkup All4meUC Breastfeeding 2 October 17th 03 11:32 AM
Child support modification in Texas Leslie Child Support 23 July 18th 03 01:51 AM