15 month checkup

Old September 23rd 06, 12:30 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
arachne

Default 15 month checkup

Rebecca Jo wrote:
Went in for shots & checkup today. He ended up not getting the MMR because
she was concerned about his allergies & we decided just to wait a bit.

DS1 has life-threatening allergy to egg & nuts as well as many other
allergies. not sure about where you are, but here in australia, DS1 goes
to the emergency department in our local hospital to get his MMR shot.

--
elizabeth (in australia) - moving in 4 sleeps!
mum to DS1 "cheese" (4 yrs) & DS2 "chalk" (1yo in 3 sleeps!)

"Dog for sale: eats anything and is fond of children" - Classified Ad

"If you're ever in doubt, throw a pepper in the air. If it fails to come
down, you have gone mad, so don't trust in anything." - Gregory Maguire,
"Mirror Mirror"
Old September 23rd 06, 02:20 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Beth Kevles

HI --

I've noticed that yes, when there are no milk products in the diet, it
gets a bit harder to put enough fat in the child's diet. But you can
cook with olive oil (a very healthy fat), see if he likes tinned fish
(salmon and sardines in oil, and they also have lots of calcium) ... My
milk-allergic son LOVES Benecol on his bread and on his veggies ...

Some parents do find that their kids do better when the night nursing is
limited or eliminated. I'm not sure why, but I've heard it enough
(anecdotally) that you may, in fact, want to consider cutting down on
it. Maybe it's just that if he sleeps with fewer interruptions he'll
grow more. Or maybe if he's forced to consume his calories during the
day his tummy will become capable of holding more at a go? Just
guessing.

But it's also true that many babies' weight gain tapers for a while
right after they learn to walk. He's got to learn to consume enough
food to account for all the calories he's suddenly consuming by being on
his feet.

I hope these random comments help,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Old September 23rd 06, 04:24 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Leslie

Rebecca Jo wrote:
Whoops. Meant to add that the doctor scolded me for night nursing and told
me that if I let him nurse at night he's going to get cavities. She said
that "oriental people" used to let their kids nurse at night and you would
look in their mouths and see "tiny black nubs" where their teeth should be.

Everything I've read indicates that unless there is a sign of a problem,
like the child getting a lot of cavities, it is okay to nightnurse.

If I were you, I would probably just tell the doctor he's night weaned,
as I told Lorelei's dentist yesterday. :-) Nothing you say is ever
going to convince him that bf is not at fault if baby should develop
cavities.

William had a severe case of "baby bottle teeth" and has been toothless
in fron for quite awhile now. But I night nursed all my babies, and
he's the only one who had a problem. The enamel began chipping off his
teeth almost as soon as they emerged. I'm convinced it was congenital.

Leslie

Old September 23rd 06, 02:55 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Rebecca Jo

"arachne" wrote:

DS1 has life-threatening allergy to egg & nuts as well as many other
allergies. not sure about where you are, but here in australia, DS1 goes
to the emergency department in our local hospital to get his MMR shot.

We're in the United States, Florida to be exact.

Our doctor wants us to try giving him eggs. I'll put some on his cheek and
then give him a small amount and see what happens.

Thanks
rj

Old September 23rd 06, 02:56 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Rebecca Jo

"Beth Kevles" wrote:

HI --

I've noticed that yes, when there are no milk products in the diet, it
gets a bit harder to put enough fat in the child's diet. But you can
cook with olive oil (a very healthy fat), see if he likes tinned fish
(salmon and sardines in oil, and they also have lots of calcium) ... My
milk-allergic son LOVES Benecol on his bread and on his veggies ...

Yeah, I'm going to start cooking things in olive oil.

Some parents do find that their kids do better when the night nursing is
limited or eliminated. I'm not sure why, but I've heard it enough
(anecdotally) that you may, in fact, want to consider cutting down on
it. Maybe it's just that if he sleeps with fewer interruptions he'll
grow more. Or maybe if he's forced to consume his calories during the
day his tummy will become capable of holding more at a go? Just
guessing.

He does eat a lot during the day already. He sits down for 2 meals, lunch
and dinner, and eats snacks throughout the day. It's just not higher-calorie
stuff.

But it's also true that many babies' weight gain tapers for a while
right after they learn to walk. He's got to learn to consume enough
food to account for all the calories he's suddenly consuming by being on
his feet.

I hope these random comments help,

They do, Thanks!

rj

Old September 23rd 06, 02:58 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Rebecca Jo

"Leslie" wrote

If I were you, I would probably just tell the doctor he's night weaned,
as I told Lorelei's dentist yesterday. :-) Nothing you say is ever
going to convince him that bf is not at fault if baby should develop
cavities.

nods. My husband said just nod and agree and then do what we want anyway.
It's frustrating.

William had a severe case of "baby bottle teeth" and has been toothless
in fron for quite awhile now. But I night nursed all my babies, and
he's the only one who had a problem. The enamel began chipping off his
teeth almost as soon as they emerged. I'm convinced it was congenital.

Leslie

nods. Thanks!
rj

Old September 24th 06, 02:14 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Notchalk

On 2006-09-23 21:55:13 +0800, "Rebecca Jo" said:

"arachne" wrote:

DS1 has life-threatening allergy to egg & nuts as well as many other
allergies. not sure about where you are, but here in australia, DS1
goes to the emergency department in our local hospital to get his MMR
shot.

We're in the United States, Florida to be exact.

Our doctor wants us to try giving him eggs. I'll put some on his cheek
and then give him a small amount and see what happens.

Thanks
rj

I'd try another area of skin rather than on the face - I'd just want to
stay away from the airway if you suspect a major reaction. Try on the
inside of the forearm or somewhere else sensitive - not on the face.

Just a suggestion!

Jo
--
Woman, Wife, Mother, Midwife

Old September 24th 06, 02:18 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Notchalk

On 2006-09-23 09:20:03 +0800, (Beth Kevles) said:

[...]

I have to second that, Beth. We have just been night weaning my 16
month old and his daytime appetite has almost tripled in the last week!
It didn't work for us the last time we tried it (about 10 months), but
this time it has. I think before he just wasn't ready, and now he is.
It's worth a try.

As for high calories, I also will second the avocado, olive oil and
sweet potato. I remember Jenrose also had success with coconut
milk/cream. What else...? I found that offering *something* every
hour meant that he was topping up his energy during the day and having
a 'meal' at the usual times as well. Distraction works sometimes, too.

However your bub is bigger than my bub, and it could be all genetics anyway.

HTH!

Jo
--
Woman, Wife, Mother, Midwife

Old September 24th 06, 02:27 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

I have to second that, Beth. We have just been night weaning my 16 month
old and his daytime appetite has almost tripled in the last week! It
didn't work for us the last time we tried it (about 10 months), but this
time it has. I think before he just wasn't ready, and now he is. It's
worth a try.

that's fantastic to hear Jo, I'm really pleased it's working

for others, it seems to be a combo of things that makes it work, firstly,
babies need to sleep to grow, that's why they sleep so much! If they are
waking several times a night, that's likely 1-2hrs of sleep that they are
missing out on. Secondly, it does seem to have an effect on their day time
appetite, likely effect is to not much reduce the amount of breast milk
consumed, but bump up the amount of solids.

Cheers

Anne

Old September 24th 06, 02:43 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Rebecca Jo

"Notchalk" wrote:

I'd try another area of skin rather than on the face - I'd just want to
stay away from the airway if you suspect a major reaction. Try on the
inside of the forearm or somewhere else sensitive - not on the face.

Just a suggestion!

Jo

Thanks for the tip!
rj

2 month checkup! V. Breastfeeding 7 February 4th 06 07:10 PM
4 month checkup Sarah Vaughan Breastfeeding 1 November 3rd 05 08:03 AM
A month versus 28 days Simpledog Child Support 10 December 31st 04 06:17 PM
two month checkup All4meUC Breastfeeding 2 October 17th 03 11:32 AM
Child support modification in Texas Leslie Child Support 23 July 18th 03 01:51 AM